Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
There's also a good (and free) Mapquest app.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
There's also a good (and free) Mapquest app.
Mapquest always sends me to the wrong places lol. For me I think I might actually be better off using the iOS maps.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use paper AAA maps for driving.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
LOL!
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
I wonder why people keep compailing about Apple Maps, it's not that bad at all. Anyway, hope that Goole could bring Maps to iOS 6 soon.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
I wonder why people keep compailing about Apple Maps, it's not that bad at all. Anyway, hope that Goole could bring Maps to iOS 6 soon.
Assuming you mean "Google" rather than "Goole" (which is a town in Yorkshire, England), you can already use Google Maps in iOS6. You just have to use it via Safari, rather than as an App. But iOS lets you put any web page as an icon on the home page, so there's really little to distinguish it from an app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I haven't been following this brouhaha other than reading a few posts here at MR.

Is the problem primarily outside of the U.S.? I ask only because I noticed the people posting with missing towns and moving airports were located throughout the world but didn't notice anyone from the states.

I live in the western part of the country, a city of approximately 2 million people, and a cursory check of my regular haunts showed they were all where they should be.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Apparently you can hack Google Maps back on.

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I haven't been following this brouhaha other than reading a few posts here at MR.

Is the problem primarily outside of the U.S.? I ask only because I noticed the people posting with missing towns and moving airports were located throughout the world but didn't notice anyone from the states.

I live in the western part of the country, a city of approximately 2 million people, and a cursory check of my regular haunts showed they were all where they should be.
I saw quite a few USA examples of incorrect locations listed for businesses, schools and universities, etc. So it does effect USA. It looks like there is a screwed up database for locations being used. Also the map rendering engine looks like it needs a lot of work, especially in the 3D maps.

EDIT: It looks like TomTom maps are the main source for the new maps app. TomTom bought up Tele Atlas back in 2008 and that database is the main source they use, but they supplement that data with countless other sources. Whether TomTom does a good job of supplementing to provide accurate maps is another topic, but I know they are not known for having stellar maps. Google also used Tele Atlas but I'm not sure if they still do. However, Google also supplements their map data via many sources including their own map vehicles which drive around verifying map locations and taking photos. My guess is that Google does a much more thorough job than TomTom, especially in the USA.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use paper AAA maps for driving.
My lady friend loves those so we use them when we take a road trip. I admit they come in useful on occasion because of detail and good updates.

I got AAA for her so I wouldn't worry so much when she is on the road.

I seldom drive when we take a trip in a car.

I am normally over there lolled out with my visor, sun glasses, with my big Garmin GPS on the windshield (or my lap), with the appropriate State Map, with the AAA map strips, with a printed Sky View, and sometimes with a topographical map and I feel like I have control, but when the snow comes to the Parks we frequent, I mainly rely on God, Prayer and the ability to push the car back on to the road.

I am getting her a SUV with an automatic all terrain drive in a few month, so our next trip "with a chance of flurries" will go better, besides her old minivan odometer is about to roll over the second time.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Apparently you can hack Google Maps back on.

Source
My gosh. No real "Apple person" would sully the experience with non Apple software and a hack at that. (Wash your mouth.)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've been using Garmin for over 20 years. You can't really beat them for the price. The standalone GPS devices like TomTom, Garmin, etc. will always be a better, more reliable, more accurate means to navigating a vehicle are yourself. They are designed with good GPS chips that have everything they need to navigate. Cellular phones don't have true GPS like the above mentioned devices. They instead rely heavily on supplemental location information derived from cellular tower locations.

Bottom line, if you are serious about navigation use a GPS unit by Garmin or some other reputable company, not a cellular phone. The iPhone and Android phones do a lot of things well, but navigation isn't one of them.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've been using Garmin for over 20 years. You can't really beat them for the price. The standalone GPS devices like TomTom, Garmin, etc. will always be a better, more reliable, more accurate means to navigating a vehicle are yourself. They are designed with good GPS chips that have everything they need to navigate. Cellular phones don't have true GPS like the above mentioned devices. They instead rely heavily on supplemental location information derived from cellular tower locations.

Bottom line, if you are serious about navigation use a GPS unit by Garmin or some other reputable company, not a cellular phone. The iPhone and Android phones do a lot of things well, but navigation isn't one of them.
The gps in the phone is a real gps. So I do not understand what you mean. A car gps usually have a better antenna then the one in the phone but that is another thing. And with a phone you can use data from the net to get the initial fix. And I compared Google navigation to a Garmin and did not see any quality differences in the routing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

I've got a standalone Magellan GPS and the smartphones (both Android and iPhone) get a location fix/lock before the Magellan does. Smartphones nowadays have assisted GPS which consists of an actual GPS which gets location information from satellites and additional help via triangulation using cell towers, etc.

Ease of use, though, naturally the Magellan wins since it has a dedicated interface designed primarily for GPS usage.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Assuming you mean "Google" rather than "Goole" (which is a town in Yorkshire, England), you can already use Google Maps in iOS6. You just have to use it via Safari, rather than as an App. But iOS lets you put any web page as an icon on the home page, so there's really little to distinguish it from an app.
You don't have to use Safari. You can also use G-Whizz app for any Google product. It has less visual overhead than Safari.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote