Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #406
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Thank you JSWolf, but post 297 is about the junereader. As far as I understand this app is mainly concerned with fonts for those of us who have problems with the standard ones. I am quite happy with the standards fonts, so I don't need his app.
I am only interested in a non-rooted version of the homescreen app (which displays the three last read titles instead of the standard last added on the main screen of the PRS-T1). Anyone?
I don't think the homescreen has been updated since January. The link to that one is in the first post in this thread.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #407
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
I am only interested in a non-rooted version of the homescreen app (which displays the three last read titles instead of the standard last added on the main screen of the PRS-T1). Anyone?
I don't use the homescreen app, but if all you want is the last read titles on your homescreen, you might consider this hack: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153444

It's simple, easy, doesn't require rooting, and is completely reversible.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #408
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you JSWolf, but post 297 is about the junereader. As far as I understand this app is mainly concerned with fonts for those of us who have problems with the standard ones. I am quite happy with the standards fonts, so I don't need his app.
There is a bug in the standard reader app. If you change the font, you might not get bold and/or italics. Plus, with the June modified reader, you can set the default a font you like better then the poor fonts used for the default fonts. Also, you get a clock on the reader screen.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #409
ebi985
ebi985 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Help Please

I have been using PRS-T1 for sometime now and am very happy to be able to change the homescreen. It was, as many have mentioned pretty annoying.
I attached my homemod.xml file here since I don't know what to use to get some screen shots. (anyone able to help?)

Now there is one problem and here it is:
I am a non-native English speaker and would really love to listen to audiobooks as I read on my device, but sometimes I receive a phone call or simply need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the reading, thus if I want to stop the player the audio would go at least one paragraph ahead of me.

Is there anyone here who can kindly help add a play/pause button to the first page of the Homescreen which I have attached here? I am guessing that it would need a great deal of skill to write commands for it, and I have no knowledge to even talk about it. I just need an handy button to pause the player if it is playing.

Thank you folks,
and thank you Morkl for the great job you did.
Attached Files
File Type: xml homemod.xml (4.7 KB, 611 views)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #410
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
wiki page for modified reader

First of all, many thanks to Morkl for the great work, highly appreciated!

After having run my T1 rooted for many months, using a very basic way to get a font of my choice, my battery started to get drained quite fast. I did not use the possibilities of the root any longer (only reading for months), plus, I noticed, that the reader now shows a clock, thus I decided to take the plunge, unroot and install this reader.

IT WORKS GREAT!

It only was a bit hard to find all the information I needed, as it is scattered all over the place.
Whatever was relevant to me, i now put into a new wiki page, dedicated to this reading app, hoping that this might provide some sort of basic documentation for beginners.
Feel free to change/add to your heart's content:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Modified_Reader

Last edited by vishcompany; 08-13-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #411
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for creating the Wiki and updating the info vish! Great to have this in one place.

After using my reader just for reading really on thing I want is morkl's reader fixes and enhancements to the reader app so will probably go with the non-root install package very soon.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #412
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is one thing with the wiki, unless you have Charis SIL installed on your T1, the CSS that shows it will not work. I would suggest downloading the modified Charis SIL (with smallcaps) that I created, putting it in a more permanent place then Mediafire and link to it with directions on installing it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-14-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #413
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point -- and even the sample reader.xml will not work unless the built in css and fonts are pushed to the sd card right?

Maybe it would better if the sample reader.xml will just contain the current defaults as a starting point for the in built fonts,css and font size table. Then of course show the current example to show to customize to user external CSS and fonts.

Based on research by seabee and jackie_w we know where in the system fonts are installed and how to reference the internal fonts via css so assuming the css would be available in /system and maybe can be referenced the same way in morkl's reader.xml?

Alternative would be if someone can extract the files for those of us without root and host them somewhere so we can install to external sdcard path?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #414
log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheingold View Post
In the moment I have no need to go back, but it's always usefull to knew what to do when time is come.
I have also an other idea to go back:

(1) I have the original EbookReader.apk extracted from a rescue image.
(2) I replace the EbookReader.akp in the install-noroot/sdcard/updates/system/app folder with the original from (1) and then
(3) I flashed the original (back) with the install-noroot method

As I said I have no need for this now, but do You think that it will be a way to go back?
Was thinking the same thing. I'd imagine you would also need to include the EbookReader.odex as well when you restore and should be work.

Question I have is how did you extract the original apk from the rescue image? I did notice the rescue set essentially restores from a system.img that is written using dd -- can this .img just be mounted as is to extract files?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #415
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Good point -- and even the sample reader.xml will not work unless the built in css and fonts are pushed to the sd card right?

Maybe it would better if the sample reader.xml will just contain the current defaults as a starting point for the in built fonts,css and font size table. Then of course show the current example to show to customize to user external CSS and fonts.

Based on research by seabee and jackie_w we know where in the system fonts are installed and how to reference the internal fonts via css so assuming the css would be available in /system and maybe can be referenced the same way in morkl's reader.xml?

Alternative would be if someone can extract the files for those of us without root and host them somewhere so we can install to external sdcard path?
You've lost me here. Can you explain what the external sd card has got to do with any of this?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #416
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Thing is, I personally am using a different xml file and also my css files look quite a bit different (I even store the fonts in a different folder). I merely did a copy&paste of jackie's post, as this looked very well thought of.

Quote:
.... and even the sample reader.xml will not work unless the built in css and fonts are pushed to the sd card right?...
No,
Code:
///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard
gets you right into the built in flash memory, and yes, this is confusing. The external sd card is called extsd or something alike.

Anyway, it's just a wiki page and open to improvements by everybody. I just wanted to give it a start.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #417
log

Sorry for the confusion guys! Really what I trying to find out is if it is possible to create a reader.xml that replicates the default setup (css,fonts,size) of the stock reader as a starting point. I guess the idea is when you install the modified reader, it would essentially act the same as the stock reader, then you can customize to your liking.

For example, we know fonts in the internal device memory (/system/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf) can be referenced in css directly (using url of res://ebooks/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf) -- this does not require you to actually copy the files to the the [READER Drive:]\reader\fonts (/mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts).

I thought something similar might exist for referencing the internal device memory css files, and might be useful for example if you want to set the 'default' to use the internal amasis.css for example. Maybe this does not even exist in the stock reader...

Last edited by log; 08-14-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #418
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Sorry for the confusion guys! Really what I trying to find out is if it is possible to create a reader.xml that replicates the default setup (css,fonts,size) of the stock reader as a starting point. I guess the idea is when you install the modified reader, it would essentially act the same as the stock reader, then you can customize to your liking.

For example, we know fonts in the internal device memory (/system/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf) can be referenced in css directly (using url of res://ebooks/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf) -- this does not require you to actually copy the files to the the [READER Drive:]\reader\fonts (/mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts).

I thought something similar might exist for referencing the internal device memory css files, and might be useful for example if you want to set the 'default' to use the internal amasis.css for example. Maybe this does not even exist in the stock reader...
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any internal device memory css files. I think the stock reader app creates (badly) the necessary @font-faces based on your selection in Menu - Fonts - Select Font Type.

If all you want is the stock reader app functionality, but with the italic/bold fonts bug fixed then I believe the simplest way would be to install Morkl's modified reader app but don't create the reader.xml config file at all. You wouldn't need to create the 7 css files either.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #419
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I actually like having the default font to be my modified Charis SIL. It looks quite nice and is good to have in place of the default font. The clock is a nice touch as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #420
Schussel
Schussel began at the beginning.

Hello and good morning everybody.

One more fan uses now this fantastic work from Morkl and this community. Thanks so far !!!

Since yesterday most things work in my new surface, how they should work. Most, but not all. There are a few questions I didn't get answered, even when I read the whole thread !

The point I didn't get to run, is to integrate applications which are not defined already in the homemod.xml-File or in the sample-files here around.

For that apps I picked up the <componentName package ..> from the extracted manifest-files of the apk-files, e.g. <componentName package="com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander" for the Total Cmd.
For the class I used class="com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander.Totalcmd " where last part "Totalcmd" is the name I used in <item>app_totalcmd</item>. But it didn't work.

Are there any samples from your homemod-files, where you figured that out already or are there any hints, I did not consider in my definitions.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a sample-file with all your homemod-definitions, so everybody can use that in the the future very quickly.

Another wish I though about is, to have a shortcut-/ buttom for the WIFI-Switch on my surface (similar to the phone), so I don't have to use the tiny standard-notification-line every time. But for that I have no idea how to realize that. Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
Schussel

_/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_

... in the last days, I solved the problem and questions I asked for above by myself, so don't spent any time & work with that.

_/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_

Last edited by Schussel; 08-23-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Closed Thread