Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Closing Book Speed

I don't know if I am the only one having this issue, but it seems that whenever I hit the Home button, it takes almost 10 sec to have it returned to the home screen. Same thing with sleep. Powering down seems a little faster. Using the back options is also a little faster.

I noticed it because I saw a review video on engaget (I think) and the closing of the book was instantaneous. Opening a book is also done in a flash but closing the book take a long time compared to every other feature that is so fast, which seems weird.

I have around 300 books all loaded with calibre (all non DRM), and I am thinking it may be because of the calibre experimental driver support of v0.8.5 or maybe it is the quantity of books, using the normal ePub instead of kePub or just a bug.

But I just want to see if other people have the same problem, and if they have found the reason why.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i have 73 books on mine and mine is pretty fast, no where near 10 seconds.
i've used calibre to put my books on as well with 0.8.5. not sure why yours is slowing down or lagging?
it could be that when you hit home it goes through all of the books really fast again? for what purpose i don't know.

have you tried limiting the number of books on the kobo to see if that indeed is the reason why you have a slow down?
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Howdy,

This will be fixed in the next firmware release.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Howdy,

cool beans.

looking like the KT will be better/faster and and have more options for sorting once this firmware comes out.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
while I've used calibre to reformat my epubs, I haven't used it to transfer the files over; I've done that manually by drag and drop. Closing an epub takes about 3 seconds while closing a KEPUB takes about 4 seconds...going to sleep from either takes about 2 second, and a full power off takes about 4 seconds. don't know why it would be taking almost double that for yours.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Howdy,

That was a fast reply. Good to know I am not crazy, but what causes it for me and not others? Is there something I can do to alleviate the problem.

I will have to test with less book and sending them over manually, but I am not just in the mood for another factory reset

Last edited by Nigol; 06-15-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Nigol
Groupie

Just updated to 1.9.4 and bug is not fixed, but before update I was able to do a test. Did a Factory Reset and added 5 books. The closing speed was fast. Added the rest of the library and speed is the same (8 seconds for 290 books in library).

So this is defiantly linked to the number of books you have.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
I don't know if I am the only one having this issue, but it seems that whenever I hit the Home button, it takes almost 10 sec to have it returned to the home screen. Same thing with sleep. Powering down seems a little faster. Using the back options is also a little faster.

I noticed it because I saw a review video on engaget (I think) and the closing of the book was instantaneous. Opening a book is also done in a flash but closing the book take a long time compared to every other feature that is so fast, which seems weird.

I have around 300 books all loaded with calibre (all non DRM), and I am thinking it may be because of the calibre experimental driver support of v0.8.5 or maybe it is the quantity of books, using the normal ePub instead of kePub or just a bug.

But I just want to see if other people have the same problem, and if they have found the reason why.
well are you loading via sd card or device? i have noticed a lag as well but all 3000+ of my books are on the micro sd card except for my purchased ones...
infact i want to check that but i have to wait for the unit to process them its like forever and a lifetime to do so

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
well are you loading via sd card or device? i have noticed a lag as well but all 3000+ of my books are on the micro sd card except for my purchased ones...
infact i want to check that but i have to wait for the unit to process them its like forever and a lifetime to do so

jack
From the device
Old 06-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just updated to 1.9.4 and bug is not fixed, but before update I was able to do a test. Did a Factory Reset and added 5 books. The closing speed was fast. Added the rest of the library and speed is the same (8 seconds for 290 books in library).

So this is defiantly linked to the number of books you have.
ok so your not using an sd card. I have 3000+ books on my sd card. I just closed to sleep mode it goes imediatly to close.. but the screen blanks and 8 secs later sleep mode is displayed with the book cover showing...now when i push the slide button it instantly opens up to the page i was on.
I am going to try power off now
ok heres something interesting.. on power off and then on i have my most recent books but only on the unit.. then about 6 secs later my actual recent books from the sd card are displayed. takes about 6 secs to power off and display my current read book cover
ok takes about 30 secs give or take to book up to home page... and another 6 secs to display my reads from my sd card
other then that i dont see any issues with ny kobo touch at all

regards jack
Old 06-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Nigol
Groupie

Well I see a pattern here, the more book you have the longer it takes. Hope it is fixed in the next release.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Well I see a pattern here, the more book you have the longer it takes. Hope it is fixed in the next release.
you know that makes sense... more books means more time.. i never understood why the kobo destop deletes our books when we log out and why we cant load our own collection to the desktop application.. seems to me that might eliminate some issues if the books wee tied to properly parsed data base. that said who knows... best suggestion would be to ensure a food high speed card to eliminate that as lag

im gonna check my time and date as well since you pointed out something i would never have checked ever. it just would not occure to me.
thanks for the insite to that nigol

regards

jack