Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #76
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well with there being nothing of interest in the new update for you I would say no. I installed the latest to see if the scroll-wheel worked on adjusting the volume for TTS (it doesn't). There is a sticky thread that AJ Starr started to keep track of firmware changes. The one prior to this was a must (it fixed the battery/sleep bug).
I'll just skip it then. I'm sure the next update will have something of interest for me.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #77
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is it necessary to download all three available files for my Pocket Pro, or only the latest one? (In other words, are the files incremental?)

I won't take possession of my unit until Dec. 24, when I arrive in the U.S.; therefore, I haven't even used it and no nothing about the functionality of the unit except for what I've read on these threads.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #78
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Is it necessary to download all three available files for my Pocket Pro, or only the latest one? (In other words, are the files incremental?)
No, they are not incremental. An update file completely deletes the old firmware and replaces it with new firmware. That is why it is so easy to try different resellers firmware to find the one that you like the best.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #79
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thumbs down A Bust for me.

I might be rolling back to the previous update. (I still have other formats to check out)

Synopsis:
With mp3 music playing (and Volume control working on Jog Wheel).
I went and resumed reading my 500K EPUB book.

2 minutes to get loaded and show my last place!
During that time, Music went silent (I am trying to avoid using names stop and pause that are found on controls, as this was not controlled.), or stuttered with 10 second gaps.
Subsequent page turns were intermittently snail slow, with more music interruptions.
Pressing the Menu button; about 15 seconds elapsed before any response (and the music went silent).

History:
Except for the lack of external volume on early updated firmware, the music played flawlessly, during book loads, page turns and with little impact on file load and resume.
NB: The same EPUB takes about 20 seconds to resume without music playing, which is close to the previous FW time.

The Good:
Nine, well labeled Zoom levels for EPUB
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #80
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
No, they are not incremental. An update file completely deletes the old firmware and replaces it with new firmware. That is why it is so easy to try different resellers firmware to find the one that you like the best.
Thanks for the info!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #81
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Good:
Nine, well labeled Zoom levels for EPUB

Great find....there are nine on PDF's also.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #82
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
So this firmware is a pass or fail for now?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #83
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Great update.

One little idea -- the ability to toggle the clock. It's nice to have, but I've found I actually prefer it without a clock. Makes it much easier to get wrapped up in a book.

-- J.P.
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #84
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt View Post
One little idea -- the ability to toggle the clock. It's nice to have, but I've found I actually prefer it without a clock. Makes it much easier to get wrapped up in a book.
That is a very good idea, but how did you get the clock to show up while reading a book? I only see the clock at the bottom of the bookshelf page. CoolReader 3 in the Lbook firmware has a menu item to enable or disable clock display, so when/if Jinke ever updates to CR3 in their firmware your toggle request should already be implemented, at least for CoolReader.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #85
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt View Post
Great update.

-- J.P.
Read more EPUB's...
The clock and page count don't show without calling the Menu up
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #86
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Too Slow

After using the new upgrade more, I have become less happy with it. In epubs the page turning has been taking about 10 seconds sometimes with the new firmware (this is with no music going). Although I liked the nine zoom levels, they seem very slow to respond sometimes also. I have gone back to the previous firmware and now it is back to about 1.5 seconds again for page turns. I quite liked the clock in the new update but page turn speed comes first!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #87
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Read more EPUB's...
The clock and page count don't show without calling the Menu up
I prefer Mobipocket -- on-the-fly adjustable font face (and size -- that doesn't work quite right with .txt files).

-- J.P.
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #88
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Great find....there are nine on PDF's also.

AJ
Had you noticed part of the text seems to disappear as you increase the text size. I'd noticed this on older versions of the firmware, but it seems to stand out more now (or maybe it was because I was starting a new book)?
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #89
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeace View Post
Had you noticed part of the text seems to disappear as you increase the text size. I'd noticed this on older versions of the firmware, but it seems to stand out more now (or maybe it was because I was starting a new book)?

I just scanned a couple of my books. I reformat the books I want to keep on the PP to pdf with larger text. (I guess I won't need that now). But with my reformated pdfs and one epub I have on it, the only time I had loss data was on a line where the word was wider than the zoomed line, and it did not wrap. Specifically, a URL was listed and the zoom factor of the book did not "wrap" it, but let it fade off the page edge. Otherwise, I could not see any disappeared text. But I didn't scan many books, just a few.

I am noticing the epubs take a long time to initially read. After that, the page turns are ok, but if you try to turn the page immediatly upon entering the book, it does take a few seconds.

And just to put my two cents in, I didn't need the clock and could do without it, or at least a way to turn it off. Especially if that is what is causing the loss of speed when turning pages.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #90
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
20091105 firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
I have gone back to the previous firmware and now it is back to about 1.5 seconds again for page turns. I quite liked the clock in the new update but page turn speed comes first!
The previous firmware (20091105) is no longer available at the Astak site. Could somebody please post it or provide a link? Thanks.

That clock implementation was abit lame anyway. Powering off/on requires resetting the time.
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote