Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2023, 07:49 AM   #1
b3ta
Enthusiast
b3ta began at the beginning.

Device: none
Downgrade from 4.35?

Having a bit of an issue trying to connect my Glo HD to my laptop. I updated to 4.35 using Kobo desktop. Now, the Glo isn't recognised any more. I'm running a Mac with Catalina (and there seem to have been others with this issue on Catalina previously, but not with 4.35). Also, since the update (when - obviously - it WAS recognised by the laptop), it will also no longer recognise the home wifi network. It will charge from the laptop, but doesn't show in the USB tree which lists all USB devices connected on the laptop. I've tried about 6 different cables now. I have rebooted the laptops, I've done a factory reset of the Glo (I had to use my phone as a hotspot to finish off re-registering).

Maybe downgrading the firmware is the way to go? I *think* I had something like 3.19 on there before, but can't be sure (I haven't used this for a year or more).

(Oh, and I tried the Browser -> Dropbox thing, but clicking the 'Log In' link on the Dropbox homepage just gives a blank page).

Last edited by b3ta; 06-05-2023 at 07:50 AM. Reason: (Forgot the Dropbox thing)
b3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That's a useful resource. Not sure how to go about installing it as the Glo won't mount on the desktop though. Seems like a catch-22.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:01 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might if you factory reset it while connected and select "setup via PC" instead of WiFi.
then copy the contents of the downloaded zip into .kobo and eject. It should then install the Firmware.

Make sure the cable or host port hasn't gone dodgy.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Could the problem be with the MAC? There;s another thread where someone had trouble plugging in his Kobo with his Mac and the problem was the Mac.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 06:44 PM   #6
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
It might if you factory reset it while connected and select "setup via PC" instead of WiFi.
then copy the contents of the downloaded zip into .kobo and eject. It should then install the Firmware.

Make sure the cable or host port hasn't gone dodgy.
Hallelujah - that worked... almost. It appeared on the desktop, but before I got the .zip open it vanished & I got the 'Device was not ejected...' error pop-up. I tried again and the same thing happened. This time after I pulled the USB cable out I got several more of those pop-ups. I got the .zip open and the contents ready to drag into the Kobo on the desktop, but I couldn't do it a third time. Looks like I'll have to try the hotspot trick again.

I forgot to mention I tried two other laptops earlier. Same result. Also tried 6 USB cables.I need some sleep!
Old 06-05-2023, 06:46 PM   #7
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Could the problem be with the MAC? There;s another thread where someone had trouble plugging in his Kobo with his Mac and the problem was the Mac.
Don't think so. I forgot to mention I tried two other laptops earlier (all MacBooks though). Same issue. I've previously used Kobo + Calibre without a problem, so I don't know what's going on.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:06 PM   #8
b3ta
Enthusiast

Well, as I was sitting here the Kobo popped back up on the desktop. I managed to copy all the files to it. I then stuck a pin in the hole on the bottom to reset it (and force install the new (old) firmware I assumed). Thought I'd killed it... Went unresponsive (blank) for a few minutes. Then restarted it but it still had the new firmware. Then I did yet another factory reset, but that didn't work either.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:50 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ta View Post
Don't think so. I forgot to mention I tried two other laptops earlier (all MacBooks though). Same issue. I've previously used Kobo + Calibre without a problem, so I don't know what's going on.
Were you using the same cable each time?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #10
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Were you using the same cable each time?
I tried about 6 cables. ai'm pretty sure one of them was one I've used previously (successfully).
Old 06-07-2023, 06:24 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Also Mac OS may mess with zip downloads and automatically unpack them

The downloaded zip typically has in it:
Quote:
[folder] upgrade
KoboRoot.tgz
manifest.md5sum
Make sure hidden files/folders visible and copy those files into .kobo on the Kobo ereader

Also there may be a security setting on Mac now for "fresh" USB devices and you need to go somewhere and enable the USB connection, then the Kobo should ask to connect, if it isn't.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:34 AM   #12
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Also Mac OS may mess with zip downloads and automatically unpack them

The downloaded zip typically has in it:

Make sure hidden files/folders visible and copy those files into .kobo on the Kobo ereader

Also there may be a security setting on Mac now for "fresh" USB devices and you need to go somewhere and enable the USB connection, then the Kobo should ask to connect, if it isn't.
All I had was the Glo folder on the desktop. There was nothing in it so I dragged those files in to it. Regardless...

No, as far as I know I'm pretty sure there's no setting about 'fresh' USB devices. The fact that it HAS already shown on the desktop negates that. It does seem like some sort of hardware issue. I managed to get it to show on another laptop after first plugging in my Mini. I copied two books to it then it vanished. I plugged it back into the main laptop and again it showed up. I was able to copy several other books to it before it vanished. That's enough for now. It does seem like it's a faulty device (I've had it - bought second-hand - maybe four or five years).
Old 06-08-2023, 05:41 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@b3ta have you tried your Glo HD on a Windows system?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:29 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ta View Post
All I had was the Glo folder on the desktop. There was nothing in it so I dragged those files in to it. Regardless...
That doesn't work, you have to enable "show hidden files/folder" because on Mac, Linux, BSD, UNIX etc a file or folder starting with "." is hidden.
The files only work if copied into .kobo, which is by default hidden (except on Windows).
Old 06-08-2023, 07:31 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@b3ta have you tried your Glo HD on a Windows system?
Or Linux, or an Android with OTG adaptor and file manager.