Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
Minstrelcda
Minstrelcda doesn't litterMinstrelcda doesn't litter

Device: kobo
"huge" book

I have an epub that I can read on my desktop using the Calibre reader, but I can't read it on either my e-reader (kobo) or on my desktop via the ADE reader. In both those cases, it opens and just freezes.

I looked at the epub contents using the Calibre editor and I see the entire book is in one html file, whereas normally there would be a seperate html file for each chapter. I'm guessing that the reader is freezing because the file is just too large.

I was thinking the only way to fix this would be to break that one html file out into individual files, then adjust the TOC and content file accordingly. I can do it manually but that's a fair amount of work. Is there another path I can take to get this to work?

Thanks
Minstrelcda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do an epub to epub conversion, calibre will handle it automatically for you
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Minstrelcda
Minstrelcda doesn't litterMinstrelcda doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Do an epub to epub conversion, calibre will handle it automatically for you
It turns out the problem wasn't related to the size of the file, but bad html code.

I tired opening the original html file directly from a browser and it crashed as well, but this time it pointed to a line and error. When I looked at the details the file was riddled with this tag (<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>). I removed the tag and re-opened the file and this time it crashed on a different line with a different formatting error.

I then took the original file (errors and all) and converted from epub to epub as suggested. Not only did the conversion split that one file into multiple files (1 per chapter) it also appears to have cleaned up all the html errors. The book opens perfectly now in my reader.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-29-2021 at 06:21 PM. Reason: add noparse tags
Minstrelcda is offline   Reply With Quote