Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
How do I rotate a mobipocket file?

I have a PDF that I want converted to PRC. I tried Mobipocket creator and the text was too jumbled at parts. I tried Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) and exported to RTF and HTML - no dice, still bad formatting. Sent it to Amazon and it came BEAUTIFULLY. I LOVE IT. The only problem? It's sideways for some reason. And I loaded it onto the Kindle and it's sideways and only shows half a page at a time. How can I fix this?

Thanks!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I have a PDF that I want converted to PRC. I tried Mobipocket creator and the text was too jumbled at parts. I tried Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) and exported to RTF and HTML - no dice, still bad formatting. Sent it to Amazon and it came BEAUTIFULLY. I LOVE IT. The only problem? It's sideways for some reason. And I loaded it onto the Kindle and it's sideways and only shows half a page at a time. How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Interesting. Did they convert it to Topaz (.azw)? If so, I don't think you can do much to change the layout.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Yep, azw.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the books I recently read on my Kindle was Topaz. The font was not the standard font, and the lines were closer together than normal and the font was much heavier (bold) than normal. Also, the Chapter headings were graphical.

So, Topaz must allow for position based layout and graphics where mobi doesn't I assume this is why they are converting the PDF to Topaz. To preserve to original layout as much as possible.

I've gotta say I didn't like the Topaz ebook formatting. The font was hard to read at the normal font setting an there were some funky artifacts where a word was dropped between some lines in some places. Also, the page turning was very slow. I much prefer the mobi ebook format on the Kindle. The font is much nicer and the page turns about about 4x faster.

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
.azw != Topaz. Topaz files have the extension .azw1 or .tpz (depending on whether you downloaded them directly to the Kindle to to your computer).

.azw files, at least in the past, have been the modified (?) mobi format.

Carld has reported differences in how Amazon has converted PDFs here. Maybe that's what happened here?

Last edited by tlrowley; 10-08-2008 at 12:46 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did they convert it to Topaz (.azw)?
Topaz is .azw1, if it is an .azw then it is a MOBI.

From your description, Amazon may have converted the PDF to half page images and assembled them into a MOBI. One way to check is to see if changing the font size has any effect. If not, then it is a file of images.

Amazon does seem to convert PDFs to TOPAZ when they are producing ebooks for publishers, because of the reasons that pilotbob mentions. However, I have not seen a rotated TOPAZ ebook. I agree that TOPAZ is largely a failure as an ebook format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
From your description, Amazon may have converted the PDF to half page images and assembled them into a MOBI.
Confirmed by New PDF conversion software at Amazon?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Topaz is .azw1, if it is an .azw then it is a MOBI.
Doh! I thought .azw was Topaz and .prc was mobi? I thought I saw .prc on my Kindle that were downloaded from amazon. Do they use both?

Thanks for the correction.

BOb