Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-30-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
Mechanio
Mechanio began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
'Arrange into folders' popup does nothing useful

If I use 'Arrange into folders', and the files are *not* already in those folders, the editor moves them into the folders silently.

If I use 'Arrange into folders', and the files are *already* in those folders, I get a popup that says:

"The files in this book are already arranged into folders"

The exact same outcome - the files are where you wanted them to be - but two different responses; instead of succeeding silently this non-actionable message pops up. Not because it failed... it's just telling us that it didn't have to do any work to do what we asked it to do, because everything was already where it belonged. Unlike, e.g. the popup telling how many CSS rules were deleted when "Remove unused CSS rules" is run, this popup does nothing useful.

1. Is there a way of disabling this? (A "don't show me this again" checkbox would be ideal - on almost every popup - and there is already an option to "Reset all disabled confirmation dialogs" in Preferences/Behavior, but this specific popup doesn't give the option to disable it. It does give the option to "Copy to the clipboard", strangely enough.)

2. Is this the right place to ask about this?

Thanks/sorry/what?, as applicable.
Mechanio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When nothing happens, it is only polite to informt the user as to why nothing happened. Or I will have to deal with posts like 'Arrange into folders does nothing, period'
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Apparently the OP is blessed with a very fast machine as I get always the info notation: "Renaming and updating links..." when the tool does its useful work.

Having a fast machine sometimes does has its disadvantage as displayed info can be very brief ...
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
Mechanio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I get always the info notation: "Renaming and updating links..." when the tool does its useful work.
Me too! But the key term was "useful work". I get that handy "yes I am doing something useful", goes-away-on-its-own info when it actually has to move and rename things, but when I import a new file - usually a font, because I work with a lot of math and physics books - sometimes it happens to go into the correct place, sometimes it doesn't, so I click "Arrange into folders", it has nothing to do, and it pops up an alert telling me it didn't do anything.

(Clicking "Arrange into folders" twice without importing anything triggers this behavior too.)

Since the end result is the same, a momentary "Renaming and updating links..." message would be fine... even if it is lying because the files are already where they need to be. A modal popup telling me "I did nothing" just seems arcane.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #5
Mechanio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Or I will have to deal with posts like 'Arrange into folders does nothing, period'
I get that, and thanks for the care you have put into this, I'd be dead in the water without Calibre.

(A little "I know how this works, don't bug me again" checkbox would make this work for everyone. But if I'm the only one bitching about this tiny annoyance in an otherwise excellent app, I'll cope.)
Advert
Old 11-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...59047923f1cc44
Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanio View Post
... but when I import a new file [...] sometimes it happens to go into the correct place, sometimes it doesn't, so I click "Arrange into folders" ...
Kovid, I think here is a second issue the OP mentions. As I have seen this behavior also, I briefly summarize:
- when the epub is already arranged
- and (a) new file(s) are added
- you expect calibre to place the new file(s) in the existing (sub) folders

Most of the time calibre does not do this (you can see the new files appearing outside the folder structure) , and I have to manually invoke "Arrange in folders" again.

As calibre can determine that a epub has already file arrangements in place, calibre could also invoke automatically "Arrange in folders" when file(s) are added to adjust for the new files. It would be a mild optimization to support the user. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Detrmining a folder arrangement is in place is a lot of work, not really appropriate to be run everytime a new file is added.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Detrmining a folder arrangement is in place is a lot of work, not really appropriate to be run everytime a new file is added.
A valid consideration IMHO. For me, I can live with a manual user interaction, that's why I didn't mentioned it before.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Mechanio

Dhanyavad, Kovid.

- M

Quote: