Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Embedded fonts

I am going through a personal exercise at the moment learning to use Sigil (and html/CSS).

I downloaded a .txt from Gutenberg, and am endeavouring to make an e-book out of it (I will do the same exercise with a document out of MS Word, and an html doc).

I read the Sigil manual carefully, and so far so good in learning how to use it.

I know its not recommended, but as this is a learning exercise, I am trying to embed fonts (either ttf or otf) in the book.

I know Sigil (and most ebook readers) won't show all fonts, but it has only managed to show one of the many (both system fonts from my Mac (copyright is not an issue as this is for personal use only) and some free on-line ones) I have tried so far.

My question is, is there a list, or a rule-of-thumb, anywhere about which fonts Sigil (and I guess, most ebook readers) will show?

Thanks

H
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:01 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Most ttf and otf fonts will work (and do). Using the correct names and consistently is usually the biggest issue. Also be aware, that if you use a font for regular typesetting and then want a part italic, you would also need the italic version of the font. The same goes for smallcaps and bold.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrixxxxxxxx View Post
I know Sigil (and most ebook readers) won't show all fonts, but it has only managed to show one of the many (both system fonts from my Mac [...]
Sigil or eInk readers rarely don't show properly embedded valid fonts. It's more likely that you've made a mistake. For example, a common mistake is to forget to link stylesheets to .xhtml files. You can test whether an .xhtml file has a linked stylesheet by right-clicking it and selecting Link Stylesheets... If you don't see stylesheets with checkmarks, your stylesheets weren't linked.

Also many eInk readers and ePub apps have a Publisher Fonts option that needs to be enabled to see embedded fonts. Some very old apps and eInk Readers, e.g. Kindle DX, don't support embedded fonts at all.

It might also be an OSX issue. AFAIK, some OSX fonts have a special format and can't simply be copied to Windows or Linux machines. If you embed one of them, they might not be displayed by eInk readers and ebook apps.

Also iBooks usually requires a special non-standard .xml file for embedded fonts.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Thanks all.

Doitsu was right I had made a mistake (although not the one mentioned!).

Thank you both for your help. Once I saw your replies, I realised that what should have been working, wasn't, so the problem must lie somewhere else...and it did.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Filename CaSe differences is one of the most common

the font is font.TTF then the at font better use >TTF and not ttf
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 03:00 AM   #6
DLSieving
Enthusiast
DLSieving began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/KindleApp
I would like to embed a font in the HTML stage of my eBook and presume that I can use Sigil for that purpose. Word 2011 for Mac has already taken care of the stylesheets including font definitions and Sigil shows the fonts in the text but I want to make sure the font will be available to the eReader.

The instructions for embedding fonts at Sigil:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...bed_fonts.html

don't correspond to the functions actually available in the latest stable Sigil (0.8.7 as of today).

1. How can I find out using Sigil if the font is already embedded?
2. What are the steps using Sigil 0.8.7 to embed a font?

Thanks for your help!

Dave
DLSieving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSieving View Post
Sigil shows the fonts in the text but I want to make sure the font will be available to the eReader.
If Sigil shows the fonts and they're not installed on your machine everything went well. I.e., there's nothing for you to do.

Quote:
The instructions for embedding fonts at Sigil [...] don't correspond to the functions actually available in the latest stable Sigil (0.8.7 as of today).
The instructions are still valid, even for the latest version, Sigil 0.9.0. What part do you have problems with?

Quote:
Click the large green checkmark button on the toolbar. If the fonts aren't used, FlightCrew will display the following message:
Code:
Warning OPF resource in manifest not reachable : This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused). near column
Also check your book with the EPUB Online Validator.
Download ADE and open your book with it.

Quote:
Follow the instructions in the online help.

For iBooks, you'll also need to add a non-standard .xml file.

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-23-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur

Quote:
.... and Sigil shows the fonts in the text but I want to make sure the font will be available to the eReader.

Thanks for your help!

Dave
Hi Dave,
You say that "Sigil shows the fonts in the text". I assume that means that you have followed the instructions in the link, the fonts you need are in the "Fonts" folder in Sigil, and Sigil shows the document, with the correct font in its Preview pane (or in Book view)? If your document looks like it should, showing the correct fonts, as Doitsu says, you're all set, from the Sigil point of view.

To check in the e-reader, all you can really do is load it on there, and see if the e-reader can display them....although opening the book in Adobe Digital Editions (for epub's), Kindle Previewer (for mobi/kf8) - both free downloads for the Mac, and iBooks (which will likely already be on your Mac), will give you some idea if they'll work.

In terms of question No 2, I simply followed the instructions in the link you already provided (although I am using Sigil 0.9.0)....but your statement above implies that you have the fonts already embedded anyway?

Phil

Last edited by Hendrixxxxxxxx; 11-23-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #9
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Doesnt importing something in Calibre makes it more worse than before? SCNR
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote