Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #136
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You could always provide a copy (or three) of adb, or require the user to install it themselves.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #137
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, but that starts to complicate things. Especially the debugging.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #138
Nels17
Nels17 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touche
I’m afraid there is no such path when connecting the Nook to my MacBook Pro. I tried turn on invisible files, but to no avail. I even typed the path in Terminal and it says “no such file or directory”. I did find, however, several database files (store.db or psid.db) through Easyfind. They are all located in an invisible .Spotlight–V100 folder. Anything else you would like me to try?
Nels17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #139
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
So that's why the script used ADB to access the "other" side of the Android device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #140
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels17 View Post
I’m afraid there is no such path when connecting the Nook to my MacBook Pro. I tried turn on invisible files, but to no avail. I even typed the path in Terminal and it says “no such file or directory”. I did find, however, several database files (store.db or psid.db) through Easyfind. They are all located in an invisible .Spotlight–V100 folder. Anything else you would like me to try?
A PeterT said, that's probably why the script uses adb to access the database. As to the ones you found, those database files are created by the Mac when a USB device is connected.

This complicates things as it means you need adb installed on the PC to access the database.
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #141
Nels17

Is there no hope at all then? I can’t believe there is no way of retrieving notes from an e-reader.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #142
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blame Barnes & Noble and their design choices.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #143
Nels17

I found ADB for Mac:
https://code.google.com/p/adb-fastboot-install/

Should I install it? You’d have to tell me clearly what to do afterwards. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #144
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

If you want to try, go ahead. Once it is installed and the device is connected, in a terminal window you can try running:

Code:
adb shell ls /data/data/com.bn.nook.reader.activities/databases/
That should produce a list of all the files in that directory. If that doesn't work, you might need to run "adb usb" to restart the connection or do something on the device. With my Android phone last night I had to enable USB debugging on the phone for it to work. I don't know if that is needed for the Nook or not.

If that works, then we can proceed to the next step. Which I suppose is getting a copy of the files listed to look at. This is done using the "pull" command:

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.bn.nook.reader.activities/databases/annotations.db /somewhere/on/themac/annotations.db
The parameters are the file name and path on the device, and where to put the copy.

And as a warning, I've never touched adb before, so I'm learning. And my Mac knowledge pretty limited as well.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #145
Nels17

I installed adb and ran the first line of code you gave me. This is what Terminal says:

adb shell ls /data/data/com.bn.nook.reader.activities/databases/
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

My Nook was connected via USB and the display confirmed it was in USB mode when I ran this command. I am doing something wrong?
Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #146
Nels17

I followed the instructions found here: https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-setup-adb-on-os-x/

Everything worked as explained, except no device found. Here’s what I got in Terminal:

cd ~/Desktop/android
android Nels$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached

android Nels$ adb shell ls /data/data/com.bn.nook.reader.activities/databases/
adb server is out of date. killing...
error: device not found

Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #147
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I'd say the first issue is
Code:
cd ~/Desktop/android
android Nels$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
This seems to indicate nothing attached!

You did place the device in Developer mode and enable Debugging?
Old 02-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #148
Nels17

It was attached. I don’t know how to enable the developer and debugging mode on the device itself.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #149
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The only instructions I can find for getting adb to work with a Nook Simple Touch are http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...Installing_ADB. They are for Windows, but hopefully they translate to a Mac.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #150
Nels17

Sorry for the late reply. Things are quite busy at work at the moment.

I looked at these instructions, but it’s only for Windows. I did some research and found out that Macs do not need to have the USB driver installed. I looked and looked and simple does not understand how to put a Nook Simple Touch in developer mode to enable USB debugging. I’m sorry if I can’t get beyond that by myself. I don’t understand how these things work, but I am willing to try if I have simple and clear instructions to follow. For now, whatever I try in Terminal says that there is no device attached.

Tags
sampleexportingapp