Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #16
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have been using the <space><br/><span class trick for a long time
The space before the BR is preferred as it does not obviously displace the next line (really a sore thumb when left-justified)
Note:I am not submitting books for publication in other formats, where this trick might bomb ugly
Thanks. I could change mine but I'll let sleeping dogs lie. I use the chapter numbering plugin to delete the original chapter numbers and replace them with word numbers in an h2 tag, with the chapter title in an h3 tag. Then I have a chained/grouped search and replace that combines the h2 and h3 tags into an h2 tag and does the formatting and title= thing. I'm overly fussy about changing digit chapter numbers with word numbers, but when they're Roman numerals I feel no regret; Roman numerals are so pointless and effete or pseudo intellectual or something. I can translate Roman numerals but start getting lost when there are Cs and Ms, but why bother with that pointless nonsense?

Last edited by hobnail; 04-18-2022 at 03:19 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:50 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I use Shift Return to get a new line IN a heading in the wordprocessor. The auto-generated Contents replaces the newline with a space.
When the docx is converted to epub the TOC replaces the break with a space. The headings on epub and Amazon generated mobi, azw3 & KFX are also fine.
I suspect the HTML has
Code:
<h2 class="whatever">Chapter X<br/>The Dawn</h2>
but I've never checked, because it's working on everything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Oh, and the Title is just body text. Only things wanted in the TOC are headings and only two levels (H1 & H2 or H2 & H3 with no H1, usually with Page Break style which generated a start of file on conversion. Some formats ONLY do page breaks by start of a file and ignore "Page Break" directives. Lower level text that looks like a heading just uses a suitable body text style
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote