Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2023, 08:42 AM   #1
JVGen
JVGen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Exclamation Calibre Crashing: macOS while Customizing Plugin

I installed a plugin by going to Preferences > Plugins > Load Plugin From File

The plugin loaded fine and is added to Calibre. However, when I click "Customize plugin" Calibre immediately crashes. When I restart Calibre the plugin is still present suggesting that it has been added to Calibre successfully, but it continues to crash whenever I click "Customize plugin".

macOS version 12.6.2
Calibre version 6.11

Of Note: I successfully installed this same Plugin on my PC running Windows 10 yesterday. Same version of Calibre and the Plugin. I am able to click "customize plugin" without issue. So it appears to be a Mac-Specific issue.

Is this a known issue with plugins on macOS? It's possible it's plugin-specific but I figured I'd ask here in case it's a known general issue.

Thank you!
JVGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont install the dedrm plugin its obsolete. switch to nodrm
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2023, 12:30 PM   #3
JVGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Dont install the dedrm plugin its obsolete. switch to nodrm

Just tried this. Downloaded from GitHub, which gives a .zip master folder. I unzip, which yielded an unzipped folder with the plugin folder also unzipped. Compressing the plugin folder did not yield a functional zip for Calibre - missing a top-level __init__.py

Did some reading and instead ran make_release.py, which yielded a .zip file. Tried loading in to Calibre and still got the error - missing a top-level __init__.py

Not sure why this version isn't already zipped. I can't seem to zip it in a way that generates a functional file for Calibre...
Old 01-23-2023, 02:31 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You've unzipped the files in the outer zip.

The downloaded zip contains 2x zip files (one is the dedrm.zip for Calibre with 66 things in it. Do not unzip!) and 3 x text files. Do not unzip the inner files.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:35 PM   #5
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try using the latest released version rather than making one from the master?
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2023, 02:58 PM   #6
JVGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You've unzipped the files in the outer zip.

The downloaded zip contains 2x zip files (one is the dedrm.zip for Calibre with 66 things in it. Do not unzip!) and 3 x text files. Do not unzip the inner files.
When I unzip the MasterFile by double clicking, the result is one Master Folder with three unzipped folders inside (and several individual text, .py files). Maybe this is specific to macOS?
Old 01-23-2023, 02:58 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Try using the link to the DeDRM_tools_10.0.3.zip on GitHub. Unzip that archive and install the DeDRM zip file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #8
JVGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Try using the latest released version rather than making one from the master?
I downloaded what I thought was the latest release version. I have not been able to find any other versions for download. Can you link?
Old 01-23-2023, 03:04 PM   #9
JVGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Try using the link to the DeDRM_tools_10.0.3.zip on GitHub. Unzip that archive and install the DeDRM zip file.
Thank you. I don't know how I ended up with the wrong download, but this one worked and yielded the expected .zip files within the parent folder.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVGen View Post
I downloaded what I thought was the latest release version. I have not been able to find any other versions for download. Can you link?
What you downloaded was the latest master copy not the version that is pre-packaged. To get that, look for the releases heading in the right hand and then click on the latest button and then download the .zip file (the current release is the one I posted the link to).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVGen View Post
Thank you. I don't know how I ended up with the wrong download, but this one worked and yielded the expected .zip files within the parent folder.
Glad you sorted. I was puzzled, but have read that MacOS can do strange automatic unpacking when safari downloads, so I wasn't sure what was happening. Sorry I didn't spot you'd downloaded the wrong file!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, macos, plugin