Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #1
tsowell
tsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Bluetooth page turning for Kobo eReaders

Hi everyone,

I've written a little plugin (using the wonderful NickelHook) for Kobo eReaders that allows the use of arbitrary Bluetooth devices for turning pages. I've been using it with a Kobo Libra 2 and an 8BitDo Zero 2 controller, but I think it should work with other Bluetooth-capable Kobo eReaders, and you can configure which Bluetooth input events trigger page turning.

Device configuration is unfortunately quite manual. You need to find the Linux input events you want to use as triggers and put them in a configuration file, but that at least only needs to be done once per device.

The code is here: https://github.com/tsowell/kobo-btpt

Installation and usage instructions are in the README, and you can grab a pre-built KoboRoot.tgz from the releases page: https://github.com/tsowell/kobo-btpt/releases

If anyone gets a chance to try it out, let me know how it goes. PRs are also welcome.

--
Tom
tsowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:24 AM   #2
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
I test successfully on my Sage but it doesn't work on Libra 2 (same installation step).
Dra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2022, 05:13 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsowell View Post
Hi everyone,

I've written a little plugin (using the wonderful NickelHook) for Kobo eReaders that allows the use of arbitrary Bluetooth devices for turning pages. I've been using it with a Kobo Libra 2 and an 8BitDo Zero 2 controller, but I think it should work with other Bluetooth-capable Kobo eReaders, and you can configure which Bluetooth input events trigger page turning.

Device configuration is unfortunately quite manual. You need to find the Linux input events you want to use as triggers and put them in a configuration file, but that at least only needs to be done once per device.

The code is here: https://github.com/tsowell/kobo-btpt

Installation and usage instructions are in the README, and you can grab a pre-built KoboRoot.tgz from the releases page: https://github.com/tsowell/kobo-btpt/releases

If anyone gets a chance to try it out, let me know how it goes. PRs are also welcome.

--
Tom
I'm very intrigued in this project. I purchased a $20 Bluetooth presentation device off Amazon that worked initially to turn pages except the Kobo kept dropping the BT connection if I took too long to read a page. Then I'd have to dig back into the settings to reactivate the pairing. Too much work! Also, the pairing period became shorter and shorter, so I eventually returned the device.

I suspect the cheap device was at fault. How long do devices stay paired using your utility?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
tylpk
Enthusiast
tylpk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3, Hisense A5, HyRead Gaze Pocket, Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I'm very intrigued in this project. I purchased a $20 Bluetooth presentation device off Amazon that worked initially to turn pages except the Kobo kept dropping the BT connection if I took too long to read a page. Then I'd have to dig back into the settings to reactivate the pairing. Too much work! Also, the pairing period became shorter and shorter, so I eventually returned the device.

I suspect the cheap device was at fault. How long do devices stay paired using your utility?
I have Elipsa. I have the same problem of BT. I found the BT and Wi-Fi are combined on the same soc so I used the "Force Wi-Fi On' settings to keep BT signal. After triggering this setting, the BT of Elipsa can keep working. By the way, I used NickelMenu to toggle this setting quickly.
tylpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
tsowell
tsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five wordstsowell can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra_w View Post
I test successfully on my Sage but it doesn't work on Libra 2 (same installation step).
If you can, check the logs on the Libra 2, and look for lines containing "BluetoothPageTurner". It's pretty verbose, so there might be some clues about what the problem is.
Advert
Old 03-14-2022, 05:20 AM   #6
tsowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

Kobo is pretty aggressive about disabling Bluetooth when it isn't being used - the timeout is 150 seconds if I remember correctly. I was able to find a heartbeat mechanism that the built-in audio book player uses to keep Bluetooth enabled, and my utility uses that to keep Bluetooth on for 10 minutes after the last input event.

tylpk's solution (toggling the "Force Wi-Fi On" setting) should also work if your Bluetooth device already works with Kobo.

I'm actually not sure how my code will work with devices that can already turn pages... I think you would get duplicate page turn events. If you only want to make use of the Bluetooth keep-alive feature, you could try specifying a bogus method in the device configuration file - instead of "nextPage" and "prevPage", use "noOp", for example.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:58 PM   #7
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
I used Libra2 and 8bitdo zero 2 gamepad successfully.

The profile just copy the sample from GitHub readme

A few problems that may be encountered

1. After creating a profile, you need to restart the device once more.

2. Zero2 gamepad has multiple operating modes, please make sure it is in xinput mode.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #8
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsowell View Post
If you can, check the logs on the Libra 2, and look for lines containing "BluetoothPageTurner". It's pretty verbose, so there might be some clues about what the problem is.
On Libra2, I don't see those line when in Sage:
Code:
Apr  1 23:18:52 nickel: (BluetoothPageTurner) checking /proc/bus/input/devices for new devices
Apr  1 23:18:52 nickel: (BluetoothPageTurner) skipping Bus=0019 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0100
Apr  1 23:18:52 nickel: (BluetoothPageTurner) skipping Bus=0018 Vendor=001b Product=0000 Version=0000
Apr  1 23:18:52 nickel: (BluetoothPageTurner) skipping Bus=0018 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
Apr  1 23:18:52 nickel: (BluetoothPageTurner) found Bus=0005 Vendor=05ac Product=022c Version=011b
Apr  1 23:18:52 nickel: (BluetoothPageTurner) acquired device event3: bc2f3ddfcff2
Apr  1 23:18:52 nickel: (BluetoothPageTurner) devices scanned
Old 04-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #9
Dra_w
Night Owl

I see an error in the log:
Code:
Apr  2 22:45:35 bluetoothd[1441]: src/service.c:service_accept() input-hog profile accept failed for BC:2F:3D:DF:CF:F2
and look into /dev/input when connect to bluetooth remote, there're no change (no new device added, still include 'event0' 'event1' 'event2' 'event3' 'mouse0' 'mice'). In Sage: 'event0' 'event1' 'event2' then a 'event3' file is added when connect to the remote.
I guess the issue is related to bluez kernel?
Old 04-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
tylpk
Enthusiast

Quote:
I see an error in the log:
Code:
Apr  2 22:45:35 bluetoothd[1441]: src/service.c:service_accept() input-hog profile accept failed for BC:2F:3D:DF:CF:F2
and look into /dev/input when connect to bluetooth remote, there're no change (no new device added, still include 'event0' 'event1' 'event2' 'event3' 'mouse0' 'mice'). In Sage: 'event0' 'event1' 'event2' then a 'event3' file is added when connect to the remote.
I guess the issue is related to bluez kernel?
I have the same issue with my Logitech R500. I guess the issue is related to linux kernel (CONFIG_UHID)?

I buy another bluetooth device (mouse) and use this good kobo-btpt to set up my bluetooth mouse. Although my cheap mouse sends event twice when I press the key. I can use my mouse to turn page finally.

https://youtu.be/trhdWDTAbKA
Old 04-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
tylpk
Enthusiast

I checked the kernel config. It seems that Kobo Libra 2 disables many items that Elipsa has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_kernel.png
Views:	363
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	193144  
Old 04-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #12
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
Quote:
So you are not getting duplicate page turn events and it is not disconnecting thanks to the keep-alive feature. Can you confirm please?
Also can you please share the configuration you did? What device did you use?

Last edited by CyberPaul; 04-07-2022 at 05:28 PM.
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:16 AM   #13
Dra_w
Night Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylpk View Post
I checked the kernel config. It seems that Kobo Libra 2 disables many items that Elipsa has.
So we should rebuild the kernel?
Old 04-08-2022, 03:18 AM   #14
Dra_w
Night Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
So you are not getting duplicate page turn events and it is not disconnecting thanks to the keep-alive feature. Can you confirm please?
Also can you please share the configuration you did? What device did you use?
If you get duplicate page turn, you should try leave the config file empty.
I test on Logitech R500 and a Tiktok bluetooth button.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:42 AM   #15
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
Quote:
If you get duplicate page turn, you should try leave the config file empty.
I test on Logitech R500 and a Tiktok bluetooth button.
I haven’t yet tried. I’m still waiting for my Kobo Sage ordered yesterday
Just asking because tsowell was expecting that behavior.
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote