Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Sony 505s - What the heck?

I have two Sony 505s in storage that I purchased back in 2009 (I think it was).

They still held a charge a few years ago.

Serious question: Are they any good for anything now, going on 12 years later?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have two Sony 505s in storage that I purchased back in 2009 (I think it was).

They still held a charge a few years ago.

Serious question: Are they any good for anything now, going on 12 years later?
Not really. The version of RMSDK is (I think) equivalent to ADE 1.7.2 and they only display left justified. Slow and they can be even slower with hi-res images. Only 800x600 and not as much contrast. Plus, the battery could be not great.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-29-2020 at 08:24 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not really. The version of RMSDK is (I think) equivalent to ADE 1.7.2 and they only display left justified. Slow and they can be even slower with hi-res images. Only 800x600 and not as much contrast. Plus, the battery could be not great.
I just fired up my 505 (the battery was dead), and speed seems fine, and I used right justified text; the secret is to use the LRF format.

Without a front light it did look very grey, but if it was acceptable in the past...

And the first thing I tried after turning it on was tapping the screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just fired up my 505 (the battery was dead), and speed seems fine, and I used right justified text; the secret is to use the LRF format.

Without a front light it did look very grey, but if it was acceptable in the past...

Use LRF and you get fake bold and fake italics. The fake italics look awful. Have you tried it with hi-res images 2000+ lines

The last time I handled a Reader without touch, I also touched the screen.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I still love mine. It takes a moment or 2 when switching from a touch reader to the buttons to get use to it and then adjust to my reading speed (clicking the page turn a couple of lines from the bottom to turn the page as I finish).

It is worse trying to adapt to a paperback book and looking for buttons/touch screen!

My ideal reader would have both buttons and touch screen.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
I still love mine. It takes a moment or 2 when switching from a touch reader to the buttons to get use to it and then adjust to my reading speed (clicking the page turn a couple of lines from the bottom to turn the page as I finish).

It is worse trying to adapt to a paperback book and looking for buttons/touch screen!

So there you go, it is good for something.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I mean, it probably would at least make a (bad?) paperweight?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Then go get your ideal Reader. It exists. You want a Kobo Libra H2O or a Kobo Forma with both buttons and a touch screen.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #9
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then go get your ideal Reader. It exists. You want a Kobo Libra H2O or a Kobo Forma with both buttons and a touch screen.
Actually I have tried both and I prefer my voyage
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Actually I have tried both and I prefer my voyage
Why is it you like the Oasis 3 better then the Libra?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-30-2020 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
Mort1997
Wizard

Quote:
Why is it you like the Oasis 3 better then the Libra?
Actually I said I like the voyage more. Kobo readers are Ok but not my go to option. Good job there are different ereaders for people to enjoy, isn't it?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Actually I said I like the voyage more. Kobo readers are Ok but not my go to option. Good job there are different ereaders for people to enjoy, isn't it?
Sorry, my mistake.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I ended up trying to tap the screen on my old Pocketbook 360, until I realized that it had 'buttons'.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #14
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Bought mine in March 2008 and have used it everyday for what I purchased it for and that is to read. Battery is not as powerful but that is to be expected.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:22 PM   #15
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I have both the 650 and the 950 and I keep the batteries charged periodically. They seem to be working just fine. I just pulled both of mine out today to check the charge on them and the batteries were at half. I charged them again played with them for a bit. They seem to be pretty reliable considering they’ve been sitting in the storage for so many years.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote