Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
federicob
federicob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite Myclippings.txt is empty!

Dear, I'm in a real trouble.

Myclippings.txt now is empity (it was 16MB yesterday).

It contained notes and highlights from personal books (not only from downloaded amazon books)

All my "Notes and Highlights" are now present on the books into the kindle.

There is a way to rebuild the Myclippings.txt file content with the info stored in the Kindle?

Thanks in advance.
Federico
federicob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 01:56 PM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Have you heard of Kindle Mate?
You can see if this program reads your notes and highlights.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:41 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think the short answer is With Difficulty.

You can go through each of the books on your device and re-do each of the highlights, notes and bookmarks you've set in there.

Obviously if you care about the data, you need to back it up regularly. I'm surprised there's no calibre plugin to handle this (at least I couldn't find one).

Quote:
Have you heard of Kindle Mate?
You can see if this program reads your notes and highlights.
I had not.

I don't care at all about My Clippings.txt (would like to disable it actually), but I didn't know Vocabulary Builder data was accessible. I have long wished that Amazon would sync that data between Kindles (and add the feature to the Kindle apps).

It seems it will do a manual sync. Cool.

However, Windows is not very convenient for me. I have a couple such machines but rarely turn them on. One of them spends half a day updating everything when I do, and I have to sit next to it and listen to its loud fan. The other is a netbook and Windows 10 barely runs on it. I'm not going to create a Windows VM and purchase a Windows license to run it.

I see there's a thread here for questions, so I'm going to head over there and ask a few.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-11-2023 at 03:24 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:15 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by federicob View Post
Dear, I'm in a real trouble.

Myclippings.txt now is empity (it was 16MB yesterday).

It contained notes and highlights from personal books (not only from downloaded amazon books)

All my "Notes and Highlights" are now present on the books into the kindle.

There is a way to rebuild the Myclippings.txt file content with the info stored in the Kindle?

Thanks in advance.
Federico
You can see them at:
https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

A number of tools for handling notes and highlights are summarized at:
https://the-digital-reader.com/dozen...es-highlights/

Some of them scrape the page at the first URL. Some can export notes and highlights. I have never used any of them and have no idea whether any of those have the same format as Myclippings.txt

You should also be aware that Myclippings.txt is essentially a log file and should not be allowed to get too large or be depended on. The actual highlights and notes are stored on the kindle in the sdr directory with the same name as the book.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:55 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You can see them at:
https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

A number of tools for handling notes and highlights are summarized at:
https://the-digital-reader.com/dozen...es-highlights/

Some of them scrape the page at the first URL. Some can export notes and highlights. I have never used any of them and have no idea whether any of those have the same format as Myclippings.txt

You should also be aware that Myclippings.txt is essentially a log file and should not be allowed to get too large or be depended on. The actual highlights and notes are stored on the kindle in the sdr directory with the same name as the book.
Of course side loaded books (not clear there are any in this case) won't have annotations backed up to cloud.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:06 AM   #6
federicob
federicob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
dear thank's to all.
Kindle Mate doesn't work. Myclippings.txt is empty. (I use it with crossover on mac).
The link posted are only for amazon downloaded books.

I think I have to "re-do each of the highlights" as @Tomsen said.
Gosh.
federicob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:02 AM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by federicob View Post
dear thank's to all.
Kindle Mate doesn't work. Myclippings.txt is empty. (I use it with crossover on mac).
The link posted are only for amazon downloaded books.

I think I have to "re-do each of the highlights" as @Tomsen said.
Gosh.
Not necessarily. As I wrote, the actual notes and pointers to highlights are in the sdr directory for the book.

Tools to extract them are at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321811
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote