Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #1081
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Cry and the Covenant?

Oops, I see you found it.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-28-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #1082
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Yes, and I've also discovered that it's impossible to buy except at an extortionate price. No chance of an ebook version. Seems to be a rare out of print book.

So I might try The Doctor's Plague instead.

Last edited by BookCat; 06-29-2020 at 04:15 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #1083
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Yes, and I've also discovered that it's impossible to buy except at an extortionate price. No chance of an ebook version. Seems to be a rare out of print book.

There areReader's Digest copies at ABE Books that seem to have this story, as well as some others.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...bc-_-ats-_-all
Old 06-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #1084
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Readers Digest used to have abridged stories.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #1085
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Readers Digest used to have abridged stories.
Apache
I know that, but should have mentioned it.
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #1086
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Didn't Readers Digest collections SAY when the books were abridged? I thought they were not all abridged (though maybe that's wrong).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #1087
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found The Fight for Life on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Fight-Life-St.../dp/B000FJTP48

The details say the books within this collection are abridged.

Thanks anyway.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #1088
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
There is archive.org, if you are print disabled and have registered for access. Otherwise secondhand copies seem to start at $37, which isn't extortionate in my country but might be in yours.

I don't suppose you have access to a university library, or a local library with a good ILL network?

I read it in an old hardback many years ago, and it's excellent.

Last edited by meeera; 07-12-2020 at 10:03 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:26 AM   #1089
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

I saw many listings for copies at £100+ but there is much more reasonably priced copy for £18.95 + £3.25 p&p:

Cry and Covenant

If that is out of your price range, Libraries West has a copy in Bristol library so an inter-library loan should be possible. Well, once libraries have re-opened and covid precautions are in place, that is.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:44 AM   #1090
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
I saw many listings for copies at £100+ but there is much more reasonably priced copy for £18.95 + £3.25 p&p:

Cry and Covenant

If that is out of your price range, Libraries West has a copy in Bristol library so an inter-library loan should be possible. Well, once libraries have re-opened and covid precautions are in place, that is.
Thanks, I've just bought it. I hope the font isn't too small. Need to get new reading glasses after Covid. I don't think I'll find this book at a better price anywhere.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #1091
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For when reading glasses aren't strong enough.
Apache
Old 07-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #1092
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
For when reading glasses aren't strong enough.
Apache
Or this. Has a light too. I've been cross stitching with this.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #1093
BookCat
C L J

Although the font isn't tiny, it's smaller than I'm used to after years of using ereaders, but I'll manage.

@Apache, I just might need something like those soon!

@badgoodDeb, Unfortunately the link just leads to a page with lots of items on it.

We get really spoiled by the changeable font types on ereaders.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #1094
Apache
Readaholic

It is an Optivisor and is available at jewelry and dental supply houses. It is available in various magnifications. 2, 3,4,5,7,10.
2 = 1.5 focal distance 20"
3 = 1.75 focal distance 14"
4 = 2 focal distance 10"
5 = 2.5 focal distance 8"
7 = 2.75 focal distance 6"
10 = 3.5" focal Distance 4"
The stronger the magnification the closer the focal distance.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 07-22-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #1095
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Ah, I see you are in the UK. Perhaps you can search for the (not-very) descriptive text here. As you can see, I've bought several spares or gifts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 1.40.09 PM.png
Views:	294
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	180856  

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths