Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Home Screen, turn of Recommended For You?

So I don't own a kindle. Have just played with others.

I've heard on the home page you can turn off the Recommended For You advertising bar. But in screenshots, nobody ever seems to do it.

I was just wondering, if you do turn that off, what is displayed in its place?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I've heard on the home page you can turn off the Recommended For You advertising bar. But in screenshots, nobody ever seems to do it.

I don't mind the recommended for you - it is usually pretty spot on

The ad at the bottom of the screen is something different and always stays.

If you turn it off, they alternate other stuff like "more from your list", etc, "more from kindle unlimited', etc.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I turn Home Screen View off, but in any case, I don’t see any option to turn off Recommended For You on Home Screen View. Of course if you go to the Store they have all sorts of recommendations.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I don't mind the recommended for you - it is usually pretty spot on

The ad at the bottom of the screen is something different and always stays.

If you turn it off, they alternate other stuff like "more from your list", etc, "more from kindle unlimited', etc.
Understood about the ad on the bottom. I'd get those removed.

But it sounds like if you turn off Recommended For You, you get other ads/store links. I thought you could turn off all the advertising.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Understood about the ad on the bottom. I'd get those removed.

But it sounds like if you turn off Recommended For You, you get other ads/store links. I thought you could turn off all the advertising.
Kindles without "special offers" only show a list of your books in List View, which is also the best view anyway.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:

If you turn off Home view in settings-device options-advance settings, it looks just like kindles used to look. Going home will then get you to your book list. Either in list form,or grid, books and/or collections, depending on your settings.

I always have home view on as I have my goodreads linked so it shows books in some of the shelves, it also gives really good recs, other things rotate like books like some book you bought or read, most wished for books, new and notable in KU. I have kindle unlimited also.

But its either or. Home view in itself is not customizable. Its either on or off.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Usually the ads are on kindles with Special Offers. These can be removed by going to Amazon and paying a small amount of money. It only happens on kindles which have been bought cheaper because of this annoying feature.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Usually the ads are on kindles with Special Offers. These can be removed by going to Amazon and paying a small amount of money. It only happens on kindles which have been bought cheaper because of this annoying feature.
Sorry, but no. "Recommended For You", "More From Your List", and depending on the circumstance "More From Kindle Unlimited"* are ads. They are links to books you do not own and must spend money to read.

(If you have Kindle Unlimited, then it wouldn't be an ad. I don't own a Kindle and am not sure if it shows up if you are not a Kindle Unlimited subscriber.)
Old 07-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #9
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
I agree. I currently have Kindle Unlimited, but I have no desire to see these ads on my home page. I do like the currently reading feature, though.

I thought I saw on the Kindle for Kids that the Home Screen shows currently reading along with 5 or 6 other recently opened books. I would love this, as I often read 3-4 books at one time, especially anthologies or collections.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
I thought I saw on the Kindle for Kids that the Home Screen shows currently reading along with 5 or 6 other recently opened books. I would love this, as I often read 3-4 books at one time, especially anthologies or collections.
I agree that would be useful. I tend to read several at once.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Home spam screen off, list by most recent shows the books you are reading.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've never used that Home Screen view. I turn that off, and use List view. I change the sort as needed to find the book or doc I'm looking for.

I ignore Special Offer ads...they don't bother me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #13
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Home spam screen off, list by most recent shows the books you are reading.

As well as collection folders, and recently loaded books. Current reads get buried. The Home Screen could be made much more functional than it currently is.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I wish we'd get little nonsensical badges like they do with the Audible App, and I believe may also do with the Kindle app on the phone. I'm a dork that way, though.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
As well as collection folders, and recently loaded books. Current reads get buried. The Home Screen could be made much more functional than it currently is.
Sort -> List and Sort -> Recent

Check what your filter options are. You can untick Collections.

Also you can click the 1 of nn text and type last page number and page backwards.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote