Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Angry whose bright idea was it?

To add the "permanently delete book/doc" on the Kindle?

I have been deleting docs thinking they were deleted from my library and now I see I can do it with books too?

Seriously? It is so easy to accidentally delete a book this way.

Go back to needing to delete books and docs by the website, or at least have a setting that allows kindle deleting to be hidden.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You get a pop up that asks you to confirm, so you can't "accidentally" delete the book as long as you read that message and hit cancel.

If you select Delete after the warning, it's not accidental, it's a deliberate choice.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yeah, I can see some confusion and accidents resulting from it myself. I'm not going to be using the new feature when it pops up. It may have by now on my paperwhite and I may not have noticed yet.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You get a pop up that asks you to confirm, so you can't "accidentally" delete the book as long as you read that message and hit cancel.

If you select Delete after the warning, it's not accidental, it's a deliberate choice.
Yes. The actual text of the warning is:
Quote:
This will permanently delete "(book title)" from your library on all of your devices. If you wish to read this title again, it will need to be repurchased.
Seems to be pretty clear what will happen if you press the "YES, DELETE" button after that.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also DO NOT RELY ON THE so called CLOUD.

Use Download to PC and back up everything. Then it doesn't matter if you "Delete".

I practically only delete spam emails. I've hardly deleted anything since 1995. Storage sizes grow faster than my documents.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

I saw that last night. I think what happened was a couple of days ago I saw the "permanantly delete book" option for one of my docs, and thinking this meant that it had been deleted from my library, I deleted it. I would have agreed to the delete since I figured that was the only reason it was offered.

Last night when I saw it available again for both books and docs, I didn't test it to find out if there was a pop-up. Although, I accidentally sent the same doc twice, so it was then when I saw the pop-up. Before that I was afraid to even think about selecting it.

I felt much better about it.

The initial post was sent before seeing the popup, but still....
Old 07-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Use Download to PC and back up everything. Then it doesn't matter if you "Delete".

I practically only delete spam emails. I've hardly deleted anything since 1995. Storage sizes grow faster than my documents.
I have EVERYTHING from the past 6 years on my computer. I use Calibre. I just hate it that the idea of a paid book can be deleted. I send everything to Amazon so that I can put them in collections and I don't have to sideload everything each time I want to update my books.

Plus I have a Goodreads account and it seems that only books purchased through Amazon can be updated through the Kindle to Goodreads.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:20 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This could be useful if you get free books and they turn out to be duds. Also for Docs that you don’t need around any more. Or for public library borrows that might be there but not really available for download. Apart from that I don’t think I’d delete books I’d actually paid for.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Okay, I'll confess, it was me. I made the suggestion to Jeff one day over coffee. I still think the suggestion was fine but the implementation was off. The two commands should be one after the other. The new, permanently delete, should be the last item on the menu.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
True in most cases... but the only worry here is Amazon (accidentally or on purpose) deleting your stuff, which they can do remotely anyway.

If the Amazon cloud actually goes down or disappears, you'll know: a huge chunk of the Internet's sites would stop working. By this point, AWS is a foundational service (just one run by a commercial provider).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Okay, I'll confess, it was me. I made the suggestion to Jeff one day over coffee. I still think the suggestion was fine but the implementation was off. The two commands should be one after the other. The new, permanently delete, should be the last item on the menu.
Having not seen these yet, can you describe how they are located? I presume there is still a "delete from kindle" available too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Having not seen these yet, can you describe how they are located? I presume there is still a "delete from kindle" available too.
"Remove Download" deletes from the kindle. Here is an example from my Oasis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_07_02T19_58_12-0400.png
Views:	203
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	180343  
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think Samples are different now as well. IIRC, you’d choose Remove and then it would ask if you wanted to remove from device and also from cloud. Now there’s Remove Download and Remove From Library. Not sure it would not have worked to share terms (Remove From Library is effectively the same as Permanently Delete), but whatever.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:14 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
All mine Fire 10 does is Delete from the device …. NOT All devices Not from my Amazon Contents … just from the Fire 10 …
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:54 AM   #15
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Re-Purchased???? I can understanding wanting to delete books from your library so they don't show up on devices or what not,, but surely amazon could have (like everyone else, I think,) implemented a system that would remember in the back end you own the title, in case you ever decide to re-add it. That's just crazy.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote