Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 04:21 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Best 10" and up readers?

I just did a lightning quick orientation. Am I right in thinking that the Boox Note2 and Max3 are currently the best large sized e-ink readers?

I'm thinking of trying one out. The Kobo Forma is pretty great, but sometimes I would like something with a larger screen.

Is it true that The Box Note 2 is newer/better than the Pocketbook alternatives?

I see the Pocketbook 10" models sport small physical buttons at the button. That would be a plus. But they also seem to be sizeably heavier, which is maybe even more important. Lighter is always better, for me.

Max 3 currently seems unavailable, and a bit too expensive for me anyway, so the choice would be seem to be easy. Unless there are brands or features and disadvantages I'm not aware of.

I would like something with physical buttons as well, but that's probably

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-21-2020 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Changed foot marks to inch marks
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
I just did a lightning quick orientation. Am I right in thinking that the Boox Note2 and Max3 are currently the best large sized e-ink readers?

I'm thinking of trying one out. The Kobo Forma is pretty great, but sometimes I would like something with a larger screen.

Is it true that The Box Note 2 is newer/better than the Pocketbook alternatives?

I see the Pocketbook 10" models sport small physical buttons at the button. That would be a plus. But they also seem to be sizeably heavier, which is maybe even more important. Lighter is always better, for me.

Max 3 currently seems unavailable, and a bit too expensive for me anyway, so the choice would be seem to be easy. Unless there are brands or features and disadvantages I'm not aware of.

I would like something with physical buttons as well, but that's probably
I prefer Likebook Alita (10.3").
Likebooks have SD tray - I use 512 GB formatted internally.
USB OTG is more flexible - I can use 4 TB NTFS HDs on Likebooks; on Boox only Flash Drives FAT32.
I don't need the stronger CPU used in the Boox.
I prefer Boox in the Notes area. In Neo Reader, notes can be made in all supported ebook formats; with the Likebook only in pdf files.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I prefer Likebook Alita (10.3").
Likebooks have SD tray - I use 512 GB formatted internally.
USB OTG is more flexible - I can use 4 TB NTFS HDs on Likebooks; on Boox only Flash Drives FAT32.
I don't need the stronger CPU used in the Boox.
I prefer Boox in the Notes area. In Neo Reader, notes can be made in all supported ebook formats; with the Likebook only in pdf files.
May I ask what you prefer, about the Likebook Alita? And if money were not an issue, would it still be your preference?

I'm debating on an eInk primarily for notetaking; I love my Kindle eInks, (altho I'm not sure how I feel about my new Oasis with the larger side-panel...) but I loathe the note-taking/annotation thereupon. Their predictive technology is positively godawful.

Thanks,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
May I ask what you prefer, about the Likebook Alita? And if money were not an issue, would it still be your preference?
In the 10 inch range - yes, of course.
But I prefer to use my Ares 7.8 inch Likebook, on which I can also make handwritten notes in PDF files.
Quote:
I'm debating on an eInk primarily for notetaking; I love my Kindle eInks, (altho I'm not sure how I feel about my new Oasis with the larger side-panel...) but I loathe the note-taking/annotation thereupon. Their predictive technology is positively godawful.
With Boox devices, notes are possible in all formats supported by the NeoReader.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the 10 inch range - yes, of course.
But I prefer to use my Ares 7.8 inch Likebook, on which I can also make handwritten notes in PDF files.With Boox devices, notes are possible in all formats supported by the NeoReader.
Well, here my ignorance will show...I thought that Droid's NeoReader was a barcode scanner....

Hitch
Advert
Old 06-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hitch, have a read of the following review and watch the video.

Onyx Boox Note Pro vs Likebook Mimas Comparison Review
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-review-video/

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hitch, have a read of the following review and watch the video.

snippage

Thanks, Jon. Are you pro or con?

Hitch
Old 06-17-2020, 12:58 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Well, here my ignorance will show...I thought that Droid's NeoReader was a barcode scanner....
With NeoReader you will hardly be able to scan barcodes.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:16 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
These reports are long outdated and therefore invalid.
Both companies have new devices:
10.3 inches: Likebook Alita, Boox Note 2
7.8 inches: Likebook Ares, Boox Nova 2
And the essential difference is not discussed:
Likebook is far superior in storage (USB OTG).
Boox something in the Notes area.
Storage is more important to me at 10.3 and that's why I have Likebook Alita with 512 GB SD capacity (not possible with Boox)
At 7.8 inches I need both, so I have Likebook Ares with 512 GB SD and Boox Nova 2
Old 06-17-2020, 05:26 AM   #10
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Not something I've needed, but the Nova 2 has OTG too
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Hitch
If I was looking to buy a 10" (or so) Reader, I'd go with the Onyx Boox Note Pro 2.

Here is a really in-depth video review.

Here is the update review.

An in depth review of the Pocketbook Inkpad X.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-17-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:19 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
And that only works with FAT32, meaninglessly, or as internally formatted (other) even stupid.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
With NeoReader you will hardly be able to scan barcodes.
Thanks. I did try a quick online search, but everything I found was for the barcode reader. I appreciate the link.

Quote:
These reports are long outdated and therefore invalid.
Both companies have new devices:
10.3 inches: Likebook Alita, Boox Note 2
7.8 inches: Likebook Ares, Boox Nova 2
And the essential difference is not discussed:
Likebook is far superior in storage (USB OTG).
Boox something in the Notes area.
Storage is more important to me at 10.3 and that's why I have Likebook Alita with 512 GB SD capacity (not possible with Boox)
At 7.8 inches I need both, so I have Likebook Ares with 512 GB SD and Boox Nova 2
I gotta ask--why do you need two 7.8" readers? Or is it note-taking capability on one and not the other? I mean, hell, they're your devices, but I'm really curious. I have two of the (well, 3, but one died) of the Paperwhite family, which is a similar scenario, having multiple devices of the same size--they're all very alike in every way--but that's because I'm in the business and have them for testing, not because I wanted to have two effectively near-identical devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
Hmmmm...whoo-whoo? I honestly don't know how I'd use it, but at one point in time, I actually said that about a mouse too, so...ya never know. :-) TY!

Quote:
If I was looking to buy a 10" (or so) Reader, I'd go with the Onyx Boox Note Pro 2.
TY, Jon. I'm leaning that way, but it's not a cheap toy and I want to be sure that I really need, and will use it. (I find the Kindle 10" that I have absolutely awkward and unusable, hence my hesitation.) My last Oasis from Amazon--the one with the enlarged holding panel--I'm not loving it either and I certainly don't want to make that mistake with a $500+ item.

Quote:
And that only works with FAT32, meaninglessly, or as internally formatted (other) even stupid.
Hmph. Thanks for that.

Thanks, gang.

Hitch
Old 06-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
TY, Jon. I'm leaning that way, but it's not a cheap toy and I want to be sure that I really need, and will use it. (I find the Kindle 10" that I have absolutely awkward and unusable, hence my hesitation.) My last Oasis from Amazon--the one with the enlarged holding panel--I'm not loving it either and I certainly don't want to make that mistake with a $500+ item.
You are very welcome. I hope the videos help.

Oh and the Likebook Alita only has Android 6.0.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
You are very welcome. I hope the videos help.
They have long been outdated and the consequence of this is not correct
Quote:
Oh and the Likebook Alita only has Android 6.0.
It doesn't matter at all. The only software that I have found that is not running is Sygic - and I do not think that navigation software is useful for such a product.
Android 8 is also promised for July, but I really have to think about whether such an update makes sense - after all, I will definitely not handle any banking matters about it