Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Stanno
Stanno began at the beginning.

Device: None
Spell-check window

Hi all,
I have just bought a new laptop with a FHD screen and find that, when I call up a spell-check, the window fills the height of the screen and the buttons at the bottom are hidden by the task bar. I can slide the window down but can't resize from the top (I get the mouse cursor changing to arrows but it doesn't do anything.
The only solution I have found so far is to set the taskbar to auto-hide, which is a bit of a pain as I prefer it to be on screen.
Any suggestions gratefully received, many thanks.
Stanno
Stanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
most operating systems have keyboard shortcuts you can use to resize windows. Though I dont know why you arent able to resize from the top.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Stanno

Hi,
I have tried various keyboard options (Win 10, latest version) and no joy.
I have changed the Windows scaling from the recommended 150% to 125% and then the spell-check window is small enough to grab the top and bottom but whilst I can enlarge it, I can only reduce it back to original size which, when I reset to 150%, exhibits the problem. Using 125% permanently is not an option.
Does the window have some sort of property that says it has a minimum height of 1200 pixels?
Stanno
Old 06-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I am able to resize it to a smallest height of approx 400 logical pixels which on my high dpi screen is 800 physical pixels, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200630_210429.png
Views:	148
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	180293  
Old 06-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
Stanno

Hmmmm... I wonder why I can't.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.
Advert
Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Stanno - Can you see the title bar, if you can, did you try the right click Size option?

If you can't see the title bar, you should be able to pop the control menu with Alt+Space.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanno View Post
Hmmmm... I wonder why I can't.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.
Can you post a screenshot of the window?
Old 07-01-2020, 04:42 AM   #8
Stanno

@BetterRed : Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried that without success.

@kovidgoyal : Screenshot attached.

Thanks,
Stanno
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre-spell-check.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	180308  
Old 07-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Dont see any reason it shouldnt be further shrinkable
Old 07-01-2020, 05:28 AM   #10
Stanno

I installed calibre on my wife's laptop which has a 1366x768 screen and Win 10 scaling of 100%. The result is as attached.
The spell-check window is now accessible but, interestingly, cannot be shrunk any more than shown - so it won't go as small as in @kovidgoyal's screenshot.
Stanno
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre-spell-check [2].jpg
Views:	133
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	180309  
Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The minimum size is likely a difference between windows and linux in Qt.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is as small as I can get the window on my Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-01 200504.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	180311

That is 588x652px

Look and feel->Adjust for high resolution screens (needs restart): is Automatic.

And these are my relevant Windows settings:

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-01 201103.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	180312

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #13
Stanno

Ahhh, I hadn't looked at the "Adjust for hi-res screens" option. I have set that to "Off" and adjusted my fonts accordingly and it is now perfectly usable.

Still can't shrink the window like @govidroyal's screenshot but now don't need to.

Looks like the simple statement is that minimum window size is applied on Win 10 but not on Linux.

Thanks for the input.

Stanno
Old 07-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW I have run into a 'minimum height' dialog issue in more than 1 Windows app. I bet someone coding QT never thought about shallow height screens or folk using disability settings.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote