Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #181
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I can't remember ever seeing a kindle in a store. I'm sure it happened somewhere, but I suspect that the majority of kindle buyers, like me, bought them online without physically handling them first. I bought both my Kobo's that way as well. Yes, there is a percentage of people who have to fondle the merchandise before they will buy it, but I think by this point, in store purchases isn't the driving force for ebook readers.
The only ereaders I’ve bought in store were the nook ST, STG, Glowlight, and I one other one which I returned. I bought in store because BN was nearby and it was easy enough to flag down an employee. I could do a the same with kindle at Best Buy as they’re near enough to me but the employees at the nearest one to me just don’t seem to care. I could be waving a sign saying “I’ve got money to burn” and still need to hunt one down. I’ve bought all three Kobo models I’ve owned without holding them in my hand first. I don’t see that changing unless they are available locally (Walmart is about a 2hr trip one way for me not exactly convenient)
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #182
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I can't remember ever seeing a kindle in a store. I'm sure it happened somewhere, but I suspect that the majority of kindle buyers, like me, bought them online without physically handling them first. I bought both my Kobo's that way as well. Yes, there is a percentage of people who have to fondle the merchandise before they will buy it, but I think by this point, in store purchases isn't the driving force for ebook readers.
When e-ink readers were fairly new, I do think the public needed to see them. Well, at least I know I did. I guess I can't claim to speak for 'the public'.

I do remember seeing Kindles, Nooks and Kobos at various stores. Early on, I remember Target and Best Buy having an ereader section with Sonys, Kindles and Nooks. I remember seeing Sonys (or maybe Kobos) at Borders and of course B&N had the Nook. I thought they were neat, but not for me.

It was using a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight in the store that made me finally decide to buy one.

Once I was used to the concept, I had no problem buying my Kobo online (the fact that it was $50 for a refurbed one on eBay helped).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #183
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I do remember seeing Kindles, Nooks and Kobos at various stores. Early on, I remember Target and Best Buy having an ereader section with Sonys, Kindles and Nooks. I remember seeing Sonys (or maybe Kobos) at Borders and of course B&N had the Nook. I thought they were neat, but not for me.
All those.
Kindles have also been at Walmart, Office Max, Staples, and a few independent stores. OfficeMax and Staples. Staples still carries them online and in-store.

And, of course, AmazonBooks and 4-Star stores carry Kindles. Ditto for their popup mall kiosks before the apocalypse.

Radio Shack carried Nooks around the Nook STR era.
So did BAM.

Borders carried both Sonys (from day one) and early Kobos.
They were Kobo's primary US partner starting just before they filed bankruptcy.
(Not the best timing.)

And back in the pre-history, B&N carried both the Rocketbook and the Softbook. After that, they carried the RCA/Gemstar reader.

Over the years lots of B&M retail outlets have carried ebook readers. Even Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote