Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #121
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes. That's one reason as to why I suffer from the lack of a TBR.

I have fond memories of a reading speed test in high school where they ran me through several tests before they decided that I was not somehow cheating. How you can cheat on a test where you read a couple of pages and then answer questions about what was on those pages without having prior access to study the test pages escapes me.
What is the battery life like on your devices? It just occurred to me that if you are reading that fast, you are probably turning the page fast enough to see a difference compared to us slow-pokes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:50 AM   #122
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What is the battery life like on your devices? It just occurred to me that if you are reading that fast, you are probably turning the page fast enough to see a difference compared to us slow-pokes.
I don't really notice the battery life since I tend to connect fairly often to upload new content. The couple of times I've tested, I am seeing a shorter battery life where I seem to be using ~50% more battery per hour of reading. OTOH, I think I'm fitting in a lot more pages than most people in that hour so I can't complain.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:33 AM   #123
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't really notice the battery life since I tend to connect fairly often to upload new content. The couple of times I've tested, I am seeing a shorter battery life where I seem to be using ~50% more battery per hour of reading. OTOH, I think I'm fitting in a lot more pages than most people in that hour so I can't complain.
That's what I was curious about. I've always said that how fast the battery was used depended on how fast you turn the page. But, I've never actually sat down and proved it. I figured you would be a good test case. And I've sometimes wondered if the battery life should be expressed as number of screens shown. But then you also get into exactly what is on the page, font size and so on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #124
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you find Georgia on Kobo?
I think it's the best of all the custom fonts. It's become my go-to font on both Kindles and Kobos.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #125
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I think it's the best of all the custom fonts. It's become my go-to font on both Kindles and Kobos.
I like Georgia on the Nook, but ligatures don't seem to work with Georgia on the Kobo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #126
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I like Georgia on eBooks. I tried some other fonts that looked good on paper, but they were tiring on eink, even at 300 dpi. I was puzzled. Perhaps different hinting, resolution, gradation of ink etc in the published printed paperbacks. My own 1200 dpi laser was sharper than the paperback, though not as nice was far better than the eInk.
Oddly it looks better on the PW3, Kindle Keyboard, all the Kobos I've tried than on Windows or Linux in LO Writer.

The embedded Georgia and stock Georgia don't look the same on the Kobo H2O original or Libra. I don't remember if the embedded version from my Linux laptop has ligatures or not.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-06-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I like Georgia on the Nook, but ligatures don't seem to work with Georgia on the Kobo.
The ligatures do work with Georgia on a Kobo. You are reading in KePub which has all kinds of typography issues. You read in ePub on a nook, so do the same on a Kobo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #128
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
The ligatures do work with Georgia on a Kobo.
Have you fact-checked this statement? I think you haven't. I have seen no evidence that the Kobo built-in version of Georgia actually contains any ligatures. This is true no matter whether you're reading epub or kepub.

The Nook version of Georgia is a more complete font (bigger 289K vs 82K) which does contain ligatures.

It is possible (for someone who wants it enough) to replace the Kobo default Georgia with a "better" Georgia, whether that be the Nook version or some other version.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #129
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The ligatures do work with Georgia on a Kobo. You are reading in KePub which has all kinds of typography issues.
Here's the same word from the same kepub on my Kobo, rendered with Bookerly, Georgia and Literata Book. Please explain why only Georgia doesn't correctly display the 'fi' ligature.

Quote:
You read in ePub on a nook, so do the same on a Kobo.
As a wiser man than me once said:
Quote:
But I have a choice and I made it. So deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookerly.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	180445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Georgia.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	180446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Literata Book.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	180447  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-06-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #130
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Have you fact-checked this statement? I think you haven't. I have seen no evidence that the Kobo built-in version of Georgia actually contains any ligatures. This is true no matter whether you're reading epub or kepub.

The Nook version of Georgia is a more complete font (bigger 289K vs 82K) which does contain ligatures.
Thanks for that.

Quote:
It is possible (for someone who wants it enough) to replace the Kobo default Georgia with a "better" Georgia, whether that be the Nook version or some other version.
How involved is it?
Old 07-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #131
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

How involved is it?
Off the top of my head I think it was as simple as putting the font on your kobo as you normally would but ensuring both the file name and the internal name matched the Georgia you’re replacing. I’m more sure that the internal name would need to match up.

I think there’s some discussion of it in a thread in the dev forum which is about non Latin alphabets not displaying well. It’s come up a few times here and there.

Note I may be misremembering, I don’t generally care about the internal fonts and replacing them. I also seem to recall that replacing them could cause issues but I think that was if certain glyphs weren’t included. Which shouldn’t be the case with a swap of a better version of the same font.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #132
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How involved is it?
That rather depends on where you're starting from ...

If you've already got a set of 4 ttfs (regular, italic, bold, bolditalic) for the "better Georgia" stored somewhere accessible on your PC/Mac then you can:

Method 1:
(Thanks to @Semwize for this discovery.) Use the kobopatch system (the files: section in kobopatch.yaml) to copy them to the correct non-user-accessible location.
e.g. (only change the red bits)
Code:
files:
    # Replace System font Georgia
    path/to/your/local/Georgia-Regular.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgia.ttf
    path/to/your/local/Georgia-Bold.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiab.ttf
    path/to/your/local/Georgia-Italic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiai.ttf
    path/to/your/local/Georgia-BoldItalic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiaz.ttf
This gives the best results, but needs to be re-done after every fw upgrade.

Method 2:
Just copy the 4 Georgia ttfs to the standard Kobo /fonts directory, like any other sideloaded font. The important thing is that the internal font name is Georgia.

This one is not quite as good for on-going convenience but requires no tech skills at all. After every power off/on, once only, you need to convince the Kobo to use your sideloaded Georgia rather than its own built-in version. As a kepub user you'll be pleased to hear that opening any kepub is enough to do the convincing.

This method has the benefit of being a once-only task because sideloaded fonts survive fw upgrades.

-----------------------

If you don't already have the 4 "better" Georgia ttfs in your PC/Mac storage then it's a bit more involved because you'll need to get them from somewhere, e.g. a Nook fw update .zip. If you have one of these it's fairly simple to extract them (much easier than extracting Bookerly from a Kindle fw update file). Then use Method 1 or 2 as you please.

And finally, for users who are comfortable using a font editor (e.g. FontForge or TTFEdit), you can actually choose any font you like. You need to use the editor to rename all 4 ttfs internally to Georgia. Once that's done you can use Method 1 or 2.

ETA: Just for completeness ...
  • Using either of the above methods replaces Georgia everywhere, i.e. in books and also in the GUI (book lists, book details, footnotes, TOC, etc ...)
  • The above methods also work if you want to replace the default sans-serif font 'Avenir Next'.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-06-2020 at 05:17 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 07-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #133
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
And finally, for users who are comfortable using a font editor (e.g. FontForge or TTFEdit), you can actually choose any font you like. You need to use the editor to rename all 4 ttfs internally to Georgia. Once that's done you can use Method 1 or 2.

ETA: Just for completeness ...
  • Using either of the above methods replaces Georgia everywhere, i.e. in books and also in the GUI (book lists, book details, footnotes, TOC, etc ...)
I've not been following this thread very closely, but your post caught my eye. Does this mean that if someone was dyslexic they could use this method to make the whole ereader use a dyslexic friendly font for everything? Just something I'd store in the back of my mind if it *is* the case, as there are people I know who would find that useful, but aren't currently using an ereader.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #134
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I've not been following this thread very closely, but your post caught my eye. Does this mean that if someone was dyslexic they could use this method to make the whole ereader use a dyslexic friendly font for everything? Just something I'd store in the back of my mind if it *is* the case, as there are people I know who would find that useful, but aren't currently using an ereader.
In theory it should work, as long as the Kobo isn't set to a Chinese/Japanese locale (which use different system GUI fonts) and with the understanding that what I said is true today with firmware 4.22.x. Obviously I can't speak for any future firmware.

Another thing to be aware of is that Georgia is one of the fonts used for fallback if the user's chosen font doesn't contain a particular special glyph. So when choosing a "replacement Georgia" you'd perhaps want to make sure it didn't have a very limited glyph set. Unless dyslexic-friendly far outweighs fallback font considerations, which in these circumstances I guess it might.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #135
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
In theory it should work, as long as the Kobo isn't set to a Chinese/Japanese locale (which use different system GUI fonts) and with the understanding that what I said is true today with firmware 4.22.x. Obviously I can't speak for any future firmware.

Another thing to be aware of is that Georgia is one of the fonts used for fallback if the user's chosen font doesn't contain a particular special glyph. So when choosing a "replacement Georgia" you'd perhaps want to make sure it didn't have a very limited glyph set. Unless dyslexic-friendly far outweighs fallback font considerations, which in these circumstances I guess it might.
Ah ok, good to know the possible caveats, I'll keep that in mind if I ever have reason to make that change to an ereader.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote