Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
[Android] CC Dropbox broken connection *WORKAROUND*

Dropbox changed their system in a way that broke CC authentication. There is no workaround. I must change CC to use a different authentication scheme, which will take me some time.

If you are already logged into Dropbox it will continue to work until you uninstall CC, clear CC's data, or reset the cloud connection in CC.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
FrankCPhoto
FrankCPhoto began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Have been struggling with this for a few days on a new Android Tablet. Had been working perfectly on the old one. Look forward to the update.
FrankCPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to user nqk we now have a workaround for the CC dropbox authentication problem. It is possible to login using Google (gmail) credentials. I tried it and it works.

What I did: I
  1. Created a new gmail account specifically for dropbox. I didn't want to mix my normal google stuff with dropbox stuff.
  2. Changed my email in dropbox to the new gmail address.
  3. Verified the email with dropbox (their automated process).
Then, in CC, I tapped the Google button when Dropbox asked me to authenticate and entered the new email address and password. Google asked me for permission to let dropbox see the account (contacts), then Dropbox signed me in.

EDIT: If you already use a gmail address for for Dropbox then you can use the "Sign in with Google" button without changing anything. I chose not to do this because I keep separate email addresses for nearly everything.

Last edited by chaley; 03-31-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Add precision that one can continue to use a gmail address.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
So anyone who was already using Gmail, like me, is unaffected ?

And the workaround works because Google acts as an intermediary, but is only willing to do that for Gmail, not for other email services ?

I have never liked or understood or fully trusted the sign into X with Y ( where y = Google r Facebook or whoever) process. I do it out of laziness for unimportant stuff to avoid having to create new credentials, but I like to think that Google can't read my Dropbox and Dropbox can't read my Gmail... Maybe I am hopelessly naive !
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
So anyone who was already using Gmail, like me, is unaffected ?
Apparently.
Quote:
And the workaround works because Google acts as an intermediary, but is only willing to do that for Gmail, not for other email services ?
Google acts as the authorising agent, certifying that the username (email address) and password are valid. Dropbox accepts that certification then looks into its account list (list of email addresses) for the certified email. If dropbox finds it then it lets you in.

This works with CC because it uses a different "flow" than dropbox's own email/password authentication. There is of course no guarantee that it will continue to work.
Quote:
I have never liked or understood or fully trusted the sign into X with Y ( where y = Google r Facebook or whoever) process. I do it out of laziness for unimportant stuff to avoid having to create new credentials, but I like to think that Google can't read my Dropbox and Dropbox can't read my Gmail... Maybe I am hopelessly naive !
Dropbox asks Google for permission to read your contacts. I think this is required so dropbox can get your email address, but I don't know that.

Authentication for service Y using service X doesn't automatically grant any privileges to Y for X. All it does is provide a cryptographic key that "proves" that X actually authenticated the user. The service is called OAUTH (Open AUTHentication). CC actually uses it when authenticating because the keys have a longer lifetime than a session.
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 02:51 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Dropbox has added a three device limit for free accounts this new authentication was probably added for that only.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Dropbox has added a three device limit for free accounts this new authentication was probably added for that only.
that make no sense , I have dropbox on ~10 devices, if i include all PCs...
and surely they cannot limit how many devices access dropbox via a browser

do you have a link to where dropbox are saying this? never mind. I found this report. BUT it says all existing device links are OK
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/14/...-device-limit/

a fully enforced rule would be very annoying, esp as dropbox has a terrible reputation for taking and not returning money once you let them. I would seriously look at moving to pcloud or something else

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...free-accounts/
"Odds are most free accounts already have more than three devices connected. Dropbox won't start deauthorizing those devices, but you'll have to unlink things until you're below the cutoff before you can connect anything new. That might mean a lot of clicking—my account shows more than 100 connected devices, stretching all the way back to the Nexus One".

in my case. 3 is not enough. looking at my main uses. I need a minimum of 2 PCS ( backups of calibre library, game saves, misc documents ) and 2 tablets (sync reading posiiton via Moon+ reader, and access the aforementioned documents

looks like I will be pre-emptively putting many more document copies into g drive and amazon drive

Last edited by stumped; 03-15-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Could be this, but could also be the introduction of captchas or Dropbox's decision to forbid access using webviews. Or the phase of the moon ...
Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #9
FrankCPhoto
FrankCPhoto began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks to user nqk we now have a workaround for the CC dropbox authentication problem. It is possible to login using Google (gmail) credentials. I tried it and it works.
Thanks - worked perfectly for me (with the added complication of entering 2FA codes for both Google & Dropbox)
FrankCPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard

As a pre emptive anti Dropbox plan, I very easily opened three of 10gb free pcloud accounts, with existing email aliases, and dreamed up a logical split of what I have now in Dropbox, to spread across them. Uploads ran fast, I like the idea of a virtual drive that does not need lots of my ssd space.
Dropbox are on two strikes for me. One more and they are out. There's the authentication issue for apps like Mon and cc, and the ridiculous new three device limit....
I did look at their paid tier but Google 1 is way cheaper and can be used as a 100gb family plan , if I wanted a paid solution.

So can we have support for pcloud in cc sometime soon, please.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
So can we have support for pcloud in cc sometime soon, please.
pcloud supports OAUTH2, which means that in principle CC can support it. I will look further, probably after I deal with the Google Play "no longer can update CC" problem. Providing updates on my personal server doesn't scale at all.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Then, in CC, I tapped the Google button when Dropbox asked me to authenticate and entered the new email address and password. Google asked me for permission to let dropbox see the account (contacts), then Dropbox signed me in.

EDIT: If you already use a gmail address for for Dropbox then you can use the "Use Google" button without changing anything. I chose not to do this because I keep separate email addresses for nearly everything.

I just assumed that my access to Dropbox via CC was dead or dying. I don't use it often. I just tried the connection and it appears to work fine, which most likely means I initially logged in via Google and the association is still set. Thanks for letting us know.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
DanielLauJJ
DanielLauJJ began at the beginning.

Device: Android mobile phone
Quote:

What I did: I
  1. Created a new gmail account specifically for dropbox. I didn't want to mix my normal google stuff with dropbox stuff.
  2. Changed my email in dropbox to the new gmail address.
  3. Verified the email with dropbox (their automated process).

EDIT: If you already use a gmail address for for Dropbox then you can use the "Use Google" button without changing anything. I chose not to do this because I keep separate email addresses for nearly everything.
Yes, the workaround works On my "Samsung Note 8", it is "Sign in to Google". For detailed steps and diagram, click this link: How to connect to Dropbox (Cloud)

Last edited by DanielLauJJ; 03-31-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: amendment
DanielLauJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:47 AM   #14
bookmonster
bookmonster doesn't litterbookmonster doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Leaf 2
I've seen some articles about upcoming changes Google is making regarding Gmail access:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...rting-july-15/

Do you think this will prevent us from using the current *workaround*?
bookmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:25 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmonster View Post
I've seen some articles about upcoming changes Google is making regarding Gmail access:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...rting-july-15/

Do you think this will prevent us from using the current *workaround*?
that could interfere with the main calibre "send to" function ?
and its maybe why my Mailbird program had to re-authenticate all my gmail accounts, last time I rebooted. Still works with Gmail, for now, though