Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS T-1
Split file doesn't start new page - reader gets stuck

Hi

I'm new here, first post, not native speaker, but here it goes.

I'm creating an ebook from docx, using calibre book editor.
Managed to clean up css nicely, everything looks good, but I have one problem:

I tried to split a html file, as to make it two separate pages, but when I open the epub on my sony reader prs t1, I can't browse past the split file (only when I use the navigate to page I can get passed).
When I use the prs t2 from my wife, I can get passed the split, but it displays a blank page after every split file.

I really don't understand the problem. I've tried page breaks etc, but that doesn't work either. I have split some other pages in the epub, an there's no problem there, just here. Html looks just the same...

I checked the epub with calibre, epub validator and flightcrew, they all say my epub is fine.

Can anybody help me please?

Here is the html from the split file:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
<title>Promo</title>
<link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>

<body>

<p class="italic">‘text here’<span class="smallcap"> – De Morgen</span></p>

<p class="witregel"></p>

<p class="italic">‘text here</span></p>

<p class="witregel"></p>

<p class="italic">‘text here</span></p>

</body>

</html>

Last edited by JLius; 03-17-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: privacy
JLius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

O, and this is the CSS for this eput:

@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
@font-face {
font-family: "Alegreya";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(Alegreya-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
src: url(Alegreya-Bold.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
src: url(Alegreya-Italic.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Alegreya SC";
src: url(AlegreyaSC-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Alegreya SC";
src: url(AlegreyaSC-Italic.otf);
}
html, body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
border-width: 0;
height: 100%;
text-align: left;
font-family: "Alegreya", serif;
}
@page {
margin: 20pt 6pt 6pt 12pt;
}
h2 {
padding-bottom: 40px;
}
h3 {
}
p {
font-size: 1em;
text-indent: 0;
line-height: 1.35em;
margin: 0;
}
em {
}
.p-foto {
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0;
}
.italic {
font-family: "Alegreya", serif;
}
.witregel {
padding-top: 1.35em;
}
.copyright {
font-family: "Alegreya SC", serif;
font-size: 0.75em;
}
.smallcap {
font-family: "Alegreya SC", serif;
}
sup {
line-height: normal;
vertical-align: text-top;
}
.S-Internet20link {
color: #00f;
text-decoration: underline;
}
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The spine section of the OPF is not correct.

If you had split using Sigil or Calibre ebook-editor, the split action would have made the proper entry adjustments
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is not the problem Ducks. It is the height: 100% in the body/html part of the CSS. It is a known bug for this reader, or at least known by me. I have reported about it way back.
Anyway, the height: 100% serves no purpose here anyway.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
JLius
Village idiot

@Toxaris
Don't know how to thank you! It works like a charm! I 've visited your website in the past, you taught me a lot about epubs.
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to help!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
JLius
Village idiot

The rest of the CSS looks okay though? Or is it gonna conflict with other reading systems too?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

Well, not in itself. However, be aware that some readers (the nook I believe) ignore font-family settings in the body and HTML class.

Another thing would be your line for a 'witregel'. The way you define it in your HTML might result that some reader systems would actually ignore the line since it has no content. You would be best of by either putting a &nbsp; in the paragraph tag or have the paragraph following the 'witregel' a margin-top to create the effect. The choice is yours, depends on how much a purist you are.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
JLius
Village idiot

Okay, so I can avoid this when I put the font-family in the p, h2 and h3? Should I include !important for font family? I've read that Ibooks ignores the fonts.

Do you forsee a problem with the class italic? I've read a post where someone suggests to define the class as i.italic, so that when a reader ignores the css you don't lose your italics.

For the witregel: If I define witregel in css as margin-top: 1,35 em, and include is as a class in the p like this: <p class="italic witregel">. Would this solve that problem too?

Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

For iBooks you need an additional file in your ePUB. If you do a quick search on the forum, you can find it quick enough. ePUB's created with my Word Add-in have this file already present.

Readers that ignore css are not good readers anyway. Perhaps some very lame readers don't support it. I personally use <i></i>.

Font family in the p, h2, etc is fine. You could include !important. Some readers work better with it. I know that some readers (again Nook I believe) overrule certain book styling without it.

With regards to the 'witregel' I can say that it would solve it. In that case you can delete <p class="witregel"></p>.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #11
JLius
Village idiot

Sadly I have no ms word. I use libreoffice. Thank you for the tips, I'll try and find the file for ibooks you're referring to.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

I searched for you. You need to add the file com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml in the META-INF folder with the following content:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<display_options>
<platform name="*">
<option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
</platform>
</display_options>
Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
JLius
Village idiot

I bet you're getting tired of hearing 'thank you', so I'll just say it in Dutch: bedankt!

Tags
browse, calibre 64-bit, epub, sony prs t1, split file