Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Cephas Atheos
Cephas Atheos is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Question Recommended settings to convert dual-column PDF to useable MOBI format

G'day all,

Could someone suggest settings I could use to convert dual-column PDF sources to (preferably) single-column MOBI (or just plain HTML) format?

I've tried "Ignore margins" in the output dialog, and I've also tried changing the line unwrap settings. But while the first column can usually be unwrapped, the second column is ignored.

At the default settings, the output isn't really useable.

I'm trying to convert technical papers that are only available as PDFs to a "nicer" format for my Kindle DX, since the default PDF handling is execrable.

I do understand that this is an extremely complex process, and may not actually be feasible, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would very much like to hear them!

I am able to download newer papers in HTML format from the archive, so that's not a big issue; the problem is the older papers that are just not available except as highly-structured PDFs.

THanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Pete
Cephas Atheos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas Atheos View Post
G'day all,

Could someone suggest settings I could use to convert dual-column PDF sources to (preferably) single-column MOBI (or just plain HTML) format?

THanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Pete
Did you read the sticky at the top? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

PDF is a terrible format to start with. Multicolumn squares that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
get a pdf programme which allows you to split the pdf in the middle thus changing it effectively into a single column.
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Cephas Atheos

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did read the stickies, but as some of these files are over a decade old, and are no longer available externally in any other format, unfortunately I don't have a lot of choice in the matter of source options. I have to work with what I have, sadly.

I will look around for a tool that will allow me to split the page vertically in the middle... Rather than reinventing the wheel, can anyone recommend such a tool that works for them? If not, I'll try and find one that works and report back.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Use a tool which actually attempts to parse the placement information in the .pdf and apply it to the text.

Marcel Weiher's TextLightning.app is one of the best tools at this:

http://www.metaobject.com/Products/

(ob. discl. I was a beta tester)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only found http://www.a-pdf.com/page-cut/index.htm
back then, for which I bought a license. Not sure if there are any free tools out there.
If you want, send me your file and I'll cut it up for you ;P

Last edited by miquele; 09-16-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Cephas Atheos

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
I only found http://www.a-pdf.com/page-cut/index.htm
back then, for which I bought a license. Not sure if there are any free tools out there.
If you want, send me your file and I'll cut it up for you ;P
Thank you, miquele, that's very thoughtful of you!

Unfortunately, it's not just one file! I get a lot of physics and astronomy papers, and they're nearly all 2-column format, so I have to find a tool that will work on all of those as well. I think we could be stretching the friendship if I sent you 1,220-odd files...

I've downloaded the other suggested tool, Lightning, I just haven't had an opportunity to install it yet. But I'll take a look at your suggested app, too - even if it's no longer available, there may be some links on the site; or even comparison pages via google. Every little bit of information helps!

Thanks again for your very kind offer. It's much appreciated!
Cheers,
Pete ɹǝpun uʍop...
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
miquele
Connoisseur

Good luck and please let us know once you have found a solution.

Tags
dual column format, pdf conversion