Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Talking Kindle 3 3G Graphite Here - With Photos!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buranbu...th/4929290651/

Last edited by Buran; 08-26-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Embedded the photos!
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks for the photos. It doesn't look any thinner, although that really wasn't an issue. Congratulations, now go read!!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
Woot.

It sure does make the K2 look dated and 'bloated'.

Your opinion on the contrast enhancement between the two?
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And my usual question again: What's the S/N beginning with? B006? B008? Something else? ^^
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Wow I like the funky green light at the bottom !
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's still downloading books, so we'll see whether I read my current book on the 2 or 3, though my headache is starting to hint that I should eat soon. It's been a stressful week. Yesterday was my birthday and instead I got a big mess dumped on me that I shall not go into here...

The contrast really is a lot better. I looked at all the comments on the Pearl screen when I heard about the graphite DX, and all the remarks that "it doesn't show up in photos" are true. It's ... whiter and blacker, is the best way to put it.

The room I work in (I'm hiding in an IT area that doesn't have a window) doesn't have great 3G signal, and the wireless we have here never reaches back here (it's just for visitors/clients in the conference rooms) so I set it in a spot that gets a good 3G signal. I have 300+ books to download! But last time I checked on it, it was moving along fast.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Buran
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And my usual question again: What's the S/N beginning with? B006? B008? Something else? ^^
Says B006--- and has version 3.0.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Same as the review units, thanks .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Buran
Geek

The initial full charge indication turned out to be overly optimistic, but that's not uncommon with the first use of a new rechargeable battery. So it's now plugged in and charging while it downloads. The Kindle 3 has a charge indicator much like that of the Kindle 2; it's amber while charging and green to indicate full charge.

As the photos show (and as the manual also indicates, but photos show it more clearly), the charge indicator is now larger and easier to see.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Buran
Geek

Book downloads are done, although the K2 has a lot more items on it; I still need to transfer the books I downloaded from this site and others. I can do that tonight.

The expanded text formatting/flow options in 3.0 are nice. Here's the results of tweaking line and letter spacing/sizing. Notice that the K3 shows more "locations" on the screen after the tweaking.

Some might find it too crowded-looking, but it's just right for me.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
readingforfun
readingforfun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
try a pdf!!! lol tell me how that goes. maybe a magazine too (pdf)
readingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
Buran
Geek

Haven't tried PDF on any Kindle yet; I can probably fiddle with that over the weekend. I could grab one off plos.org but I don't have my charge/sync cable handy to upload the screenshot from the Kindle (or can the built-in browser access local files? Hmm...)
Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Looks great.

Is that a paper cutter the two Kindles are on? Talk about the melding of old and new technology!

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Buran
Geek

Yep. I use it for trimming printed shipping labels. I work helpdesk and I have to often print labels to send back printer toner cartridges for recycling. There's a recycle bin under that table for the remnants of the printed page. For 2010 and the supposed age of the paperless office (and even considering a lot of things like online/web-based document storage), there's still a lot of paper shuffling!

The paper cutter sits on a table outside the room I'm in, and so I'd set the new Kindle there to download books. The signal in here is good enough for basic text/instant messaging on my iPhone, but wasn't good enough for the Kindle.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
For those of us in the que, what date did you place your order for the K3?

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle3