Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
jarobi
jarobi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Insert downloaded metadata from Calibre into PDF files?

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a way for Calibre to export downloaded metadata back into the metadata area of pdf files. Specifically, I'd like to use the <author> and <title> tags (downloaded into Calibre and re-inserted into the pdfs) to batch rename pdf files.

I know this sounds like a complicated approach, but I've got large numbers of pdf files with file names that only include ISBN numbers (good for importing into Calibre), or ISBN numbers and random other text.

Thanks,

J
jarobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarobi View Post
I'm wondering if there's a way for Calibre to export downloaded metadata back into the metadata area of pdf files. Specifically, I'd like to use the <author> and <title> tags (downloaded into Calibre and re-inserted into the pdfs) to batch rename pdf files.
Sorry, but it isn't clear to me what you want to do. Do you want to put metadata into existing pdf files? Do you want to rename existing pdf files? Do you want to export your pdf files from calibre with a specific name and have the exported pdfs include the calibre metadata internally?

If the files are in calibre, why not just export them with whatever filename you want. The controls for that are in the Prefs|Add/Save area. {author} - {title} will name them as you want during export and there is an option on the Saving tab to include metadata during save. (BTW, be aware that some pdfs may be problematical when the metadata is written to them.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
jarobi
jarobi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Awesome, thanks! That's so much easier of course (even though it means creating extra copies of the original pdf files). Really appreciate your help.
jarobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
aboettget
aboettget began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
You can use this script:
https://github.com/aboettger/ShellSc...ata_by_calibre
aboettget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboettget View Post
Instead of resurrecting these old threads you might want to create a new thread explaining your script.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
aboettget
aboettget began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Here is the new thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21#post2855421
aboettget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batch file rename, metadata, pdf