Old 11-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
poloman
Enthusiast
poloman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Kindle 3G
New user - 505 and PDF any good?

Hi!

I'm hoping to buy the 505 this weekend.

I can't see any pics or have access to a reader to see for myself, so thought I'd ask on here.

My main use will be to read reference books stored in PDF files. Is it a simple case of copying the files onto the reader and opening them or do they need to be converted?

The books are mostly A5'ish in size so I'm hoping they'll display nicely.

Will the 505 suit my needs?

Thanks for any help you can give!
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
You may well find the print size too small to read comfortably depending on how the pages are laid out. You might be able to zoom them, but the Reader tends to treat PDFs as images and not reflow the text.

To get an idea of what your PDFs will look like, zoom them down so that the size on your screen is 9cm across and view them at the same distance you would expect to hold the Reader.

Calibre may be able to extract the text so that it can be converted to LRF which would reflow, but I don't know how reliable it is in this - ask in the Calibre forum.
Roger Wilmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
poloman
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip - just zoomed it down to 9cm and i can hardly make out any of the words. Curses!

Right - time to go and check out Calibre - why are things never easy!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
If it's just text they should be fine, just change the text size from small to medium or large and the reader will do the rest...that has been my experiance with PDF's. Apart from the odd page that has one word on it you should be able to read, so it won't be neat but it'll work.

From what I've gathered PDF doesn't do well when converted so it's better to work with it as is rather than attempt to change it to lrf or something else.

Good Luck!
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Despite the new Sony firmware handling pdf's a tiny bit better, I still don't think it does a good job. I've had my Sony for almost 12 months now and love it to bits and read on it everyday. But when it comes to pdf's - I read them on my desktop computer.

There was a post elsewhere about Lonely Planet books in pdf - I tried one of those on my Sony and it muddled up the maps and tables and information boxes, making for a near-useless ebook.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I would agree with others that Sony does not a very good job of displaying PDF as it is. However, if you are willing to invest some time to convert PDF into LRF (and I know it is a pretty big if for many people), the converted files are quite readable. Actually, my main use of PRS-505 is to read converted PDFs.

This thread is about how to convert PDF into LRF,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32360

And this post have some photos of converted PDFs shown on PRS-505.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=9

Good luck on your decision!
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Yeah, but the only way to get a really clean file, is to rip off all the text and pictures and put them in a reflowable format by hand. Everything else works sometimes.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I know that feeling before i bought one.
My suggestion you can download SONY software (CONNECT or eBook Library).
You will get the taste of screen size and How Large(or small).
If you use Multi-Language, you can try modify Font on software (not system fonts) same as people try with modified fonts. (Only 3 fonts) etc.
You can do with Calibre like others mentioned and back to read by eBook Library.

It may help you make decision.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If the pdf uses half the page width of an A4,or lettertype 8 by 11 (like it has a wide margin or something) the text looks like a standard book.
If it uses full page width the letters are very small, but zooming in to medium almost always makes them readable.
Zooming in to medium or large actually enables the reflow, and text is readable pretty ok!

In case you like comic books on pdf, generally the text balloons are a bit too small to read, but holding the zoom button will make it tile to landscape, and then it's perfectly readable; though very slow to read,since you need to pageflip so many pages.

for text, either small,medium or large font gets zoomed x1,33 in landscapemode compared to portrait.
In landscape even small fonts on pdf files are readable.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
poloman
Enthusiast

The files are mostly text with some diagrams dotted here and there.

I've downloaded Calibre and will also try the sony software.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I think I'll probably take the plunge - if PDF's don't work out, I can always use it for normal ebooks and do some recreational reading instead of work stuff (win win!).
Old 11-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The files are mostly text with some diagrams dotted here and there.

I've downloaded Calibre and will also try the sony software.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I think I'll probably take the plunge - if PDF's don't work out, I can always use it for normal ebooks and do some recreational reading instead of work stuff (win win!).
I think you can download the sony software from esupport.sony.com.
The Sony library comes with an lrf reader that displays .lrf converted documents 'as is' on the reader.

If you want to know how your PDF files will look on the reader, just set your display resolution to 1280x800 and display 2 pages per screen in Adobe reader, reader mode (not fullscreen).
That's about how it will be visible on the reader.
You could also tile your document 90 degrees, and show fullscreen.
Then zoom to a factor that the document is taking about 1/2nd of your screen.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
poloman
Enthusiast

Hi everyone!

I bought my reader at the weekend (sony had a 10% day in Brighton where I'd been visiting for the weekend - I couldn't pass it up!)

I've got all my books on it now, and have converted a few pdfs as well as copying the unedited versions across. so far, so good. It's doing a brilliant job on my commute, and I've got an app that collects financial news throughout the day - a simple export and conversion and I have my own custom newpaper for the commute home.

Very very pleased with it - thank's for the help you all gave and the links to the Sony software (I'm using Calibre for conversion, but the Sony software for syncing as it seems to open the books faster that way - something I'm doing a lot of at the moment as I give lots of demos!)

Last edited by poloman; 12-16-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I'm using Calibre for conversion, but the Sony software for syncing as it seems to open the books faster that way
Sony's eBook Library pre-paginates the books for you, so you don't get the 5-10 second lag the first time you open the book. With Calibre, you have to wait a bit, but only the first time. After that, the speed is the same regardless of the software used to transfer the book to the Reader.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote