Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Well, I don't have to get out of bed to copy a book from Calibre to my Kindle or Kobo. My Surface tablet with my Calibre library sits on my bedside table.

I'm very satisfied with my Libra and my Oasis. Android, OTOH, I've never particularly liked, even though my phone is Android.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Yeah, it's totally weird not to buy books ahead in the series before I've decided I even like the series or know whether I am satisfied with the ending and can stop it there. Truly bizarre.

I also don't meticulously plan out my bedtime reading. Sometimes I read more than I think I will which is enough to finish the current book and then want to start the next one. Wild eh? They should feature me in Ripley's Believe or Not for all this strange stuff I do.

I haven't used a Kobo since last September. It's an example I gave from what's known as the "past" which stretches out beyond Feb. 2021.
Exactly. I don't always know if I'm going to want to continue reading a series until I finish the first book, and I never know how long I'm going to be reading in bed. Sometimes it's 5 minutes, sometimes it's a few hours. Of course I always have unread books on my device, but sometimes I want to just stay in the world that I started the night in...and sometimes that means buying a book from the device in the middle of the night.

Also, (and I know that saying this may open myself up to criticism and derision here) I don't usually send my books to Calibre right after I purchase them. I do it once a month, and occasionally, if I'm really busy in a particular month, I may do it every other month. If somehow Amazon and Kobo go under with no warning, or turn off the ability to download our purchases with no warning, I will only miss a few books. I don't buy hundreds of book per month...it's usually less than 10, and sometimes less than 5.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yeah, it's totally weird not to buy books ahead in the series before I've decided I even like the series or know whether I am satisfied with the ending and can stop it there. Truly bizarre.
So you are unable to tell, say 75% of the way through the book that you might want to read the next in the series? I find that truly bizarre. The few books I've DNFed, it took me much less that reading to the last chapter or two before making that decision.

Quote:
I also don't meticulously plan out my bedtime reading. Sometimes I read more than I think I will which is enough to finish the current book and then want to start the next one. Wild eh? They should feature me in Ripley's Believe or Not for all this strange stuff I do.
I do find it rather strange that you started reading the book but were unable to decide if you might want to read the next in the series before heading off to bed. Just how long do you read in bed on the average? 3 hours? 4 hours? Until your alarm clock goes off? The old saw about failure to plan is planning to fail comes to mind.

Quote:
I haven't used a Kobo since last September. It's an example I gave from what's known as the "past" which stretches out beyond Feb. 2021.
So a total creature of impulse? And as mentioned, a simple checkbox would save you from your complaint about the unsupported firmware version message. And I suspect that I have a better idea than you about Kobo's firmware releases going back over a decade and I don't find it all that bothersome.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #19
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So you are unable to tell, say 75% of the way through the book that you might want to read the next in the series? I find that truly bizarre. The few books I've DNFed, it took me much less that reading to the last chapter or two before making that decision.

I do find it rather strange that you started reading the book but were unable to decide if you might want to read the next in the series before heading off to bed. Just how long do you read in bed on the average? 3 hours? 4 hours? Until your alarm clock goes off? The old saw about failure to plan is planning to fail comes to mind.

So a total creature of impulse? And as mentioned, a simple checkbox would save you from your complaint about the unsupported firmware version message. And I suspect that I have a better idea than you about Kobo's firmware releases going back over a decade and I don't find it all that bothersome.

I've had Kobos since the original non-WiFi Bluetooth only it can sync to a Blackberry wirelessly model launched. Maybe you know more, frankly I don't really care if you do. Sounds like you have a system that works for you and you seem heavily attached to Kobo and Calibre and plan out your reading to a T. That's great for you.

I've had broken/corrupted Kobo databases in the past too, I also didn't want to risk getting it broken and having to fix that in the middle of the night lest some 3rd party program muck things up. Last thing I'd want to be doing.

I've had books I've enjoyed half way through and found the end lackluster. Sometimes I'm satisfied with how a book ends and don't want to read the next one in a series. And yeah, sometimes I'll read 10 minutes at night or 3 hours. Depends on lots of things.

Anyways I'm done explaining my preferences.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:04 AM   #20
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Since the OP is a Kindle user, his or her library probably comprises books mainly in that format. We don't know if they use Calibre at all. Given that, an android reader could well be the ideal solution. It offers the same access to the Amazon ecosystem that they're used to plus the option to purchase and read epubs if they wish.
Why did this thread become so acrimonious?
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
Why did this thread become so acrimonious?
Because there are real Kobo fanatics here who hardly want to allow anything else and even recommend illegal (here in the EU) with linking.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-05-2021 at 07:17 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #22
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Not helping the acrimony thing there, Otto
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
Not helping the acrimony thing there
Right, it does not help, but explains it.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I do find it funny that you worry about firmware updates that others are complaining should be more frequent. What has it been? Feb. 2021 for the last public firmware update? And Kobo still supports their earlier ereaders other than the Mini with new firmware.
But if you are in the know or frequent MR, you'll know you can load the current firmware on the Mini.

The first two Kobo Readers are no longer supported. But the others are supported except technically the Mini.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-05-2021 at 04:35 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@mkberg if you really want ePub and Amazon eBooks on one Reader, your best solution is to get an Android based Reader.

I would suggest the Boyue Likebook P78 with a 7.8" screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Because there are real Kobo fanatics here who hardly want to allow anything else and even recommend illegal (here in the EU) with linking.
Whereas @ottischwenk recommends illegal downloads of pirated ebooks claiming somehow that that is legal in Austria in contrast to his stand that removing DRM is illegal and he might get into trouble for reading a forum where links to the Apprentices' sites are posted.

Whereas a quick look at the Austrian laws concerning downloading copyrighted materials shows his belief to be off-base. I've quoted below from a FAQ supplied by European Union Intellectual Property Office:

Quote:
Downloading a work protected by copyright from the internet constitutes an act of reproduction, regardless of the means and technology used. In the unlikely event that the downloaded parts of the work do not contain any peculiarity, there might not be any act of reproduction but the protection afforded by neighbouring rights still has to be considered. Additionally, Austrian copyright law requires that the source copy of the download was not obviously (produced or) made available unlawfully (Article 42(5) of the Austrian Copyright Act; see also Q7 and Q15). This includes the problem of ‘converting’ files that the rights holder does not intend to be downloaded.
Admittedly, I used translation to read the original laws but the FAQ I'm quoting from is in English and agrees rather closely with the translated text. It's hard, IMO, to misread the bolded section above.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:55 AM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Whereas @ottischwenk recommends illegal downloads of pirated ebooks claiming somehow that that is legal in Austria in contrast to his stand that removing DRM is illegal and he might get into trouble for reading a forum where links to the Apprentices' sites are posted.
When will you understand?
Nowhere did I recommend downloading illegally pirated books.

I wrote that I downloaded books from pirate sites, but I never wrote which books:
- I have no idea where you could have read that these were deDRMed copyrighted books.
- and to the law you quoted, it says: uploading of such material is forbidden; but it doesn't say anything about downloading.

And if you don't know the difference, it goes in the opposite direction.

And that I could get into trouble, I didn't write that anywhere either.
They supposedly read very fast, but you should rather focus on correctly grasping what you read.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-06-2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:47 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
When will you understand?
Nowhere did I recommend downloading illegally pirated books.

I wrote that I downloaded books from pirate sites, but I never wrote which books:
- I have no idea where you could have read that these were deDRMed copyrighted books.
- and to the law you quoted, it says: uploading of such material is forbidden; but it doesn't say anything about downloading.

And if you don't know the difference, it goes in the opposite direction.

And that I could get into trouble, I didn't write that anywhere either.
They supposedly read very fast, but you should rather focus on correctly grasping what you read.
You have criticised and called people thieves for moving ebooks that they have purchased between formats to allow them to use on different devices. But, you seem to think it is OK to download ebooks from Pirate sites that are copyrighted just because you have paper versions of the books. That is illegal in any location that I have heard of as owning a paper version does not give you any other rights.

And you need to read what @DNSB quoted. It is clear that under Austrian law it is illegal to download from pirate sites. Just to quote the bit again:

Quote:
Additionally, Austrian copyright law requires that the source copy of the download was not obviously (produced or) made available unlawfully (Article 42(5) of the Austrian Copyright Act; see also Q7 and Q15).
Are you claiming that you have access to a pirate site (that's what you called it) that has legally obtained and distributable copies of the books you are downloading? Or are you hiding behind the two words "not obviously"? Are you pretending that as there is nothing saying "These are illegal downloads" that it is "not obvious" that the books are illegally there and that it is OK for you to download them?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #29
ottischwenk
Wizard

Again, very clearly: removing DRM and distributing is prohibited here, thus uploading; there is nothing in the law about a download.

And further: for books I have in paper version, I am allowed to make private copies - even electronic ones (up to 6 are tolerated); the paper book is my property and I do not remove any copy protection when making the copy - I am not allowed to redistribute the copies.

It is therefore absolutely equal whether I make these copies myself or download them from somewhere (which is not a violation of the law); I am not allowed to distribute the copies.

To make it clear once again: the one who removes DRM is the offender according to the law.
And what is happening here is helping to do that.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Again, very clearly: removing DRM and distributing is prohibited here, thus uploading; there is nothing in the law about a download.

And further: for books I have in paper version, I am allowed to make private copies - even electronic ones (up to 6 are tolerated); the paper book is my property and I do not remove any copy protection when making the copy - I am not allowed to redistribute the copies.

It is therefore absolutely equal whether I make these copies myself or download them from somewhere (which is not a violation of the law); I am not allowed to distribute the copies.

To make it clear once again: the one who removes DRM is the offender according to the law.
And what is happening here is helping to do that.
Under Austrian law you are allowed to make complete copies of the paper books? Wow. That is not something I have ever heard of before and find hard to believe. It definitely isn't the case in Australia. And I am surprised that you are allowed to make electronic copies of the books. But, does it say you are allowed to source those electronic copies from somewhere else? After all, if you download an ebook from a pirate site (your words) you are not actually making a copy of your book. You are making a copy of someone else's book

And it is clear from the quoted source that downloading from an illegal source is against the law. Are you claiming some other interpretation of what has been quoted?

And to be clear, I NEVER mentioned anything about DRM. You brought it up. You have previously stated that any change of format is illegal. You made it clear that you believe that changing from an Amazon format to other formats was theft.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ereader, format, kindle, orange screen