Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
A question about the new oasis

I now have a PW2 and the voyage. My question is:

Is the new oasis worth the price?

The only reason I am thinking of it is the larger screen.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post

That depends on you and what's important to you. For many people (including me), it is. For many other people, it isn't. No one else can decide it for you.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:

As sirtel said this is a personal decision. I had a Voyage and sold it to get this device. I love it.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I was given the new Oasis as a gift three days ago. It’s my 6th e ink device and my fourth kindle. It really is lovely.

I’m currently listening an an audio book on it when I work at my computer, I also listen to the same book on my phone when driving. In the evening I read the book. Easy to switch between iPhone and oasis for audio and reading when I prefer. I am always taken to the correct place I left off

Yes it’s a personal decision and it’s not cheap. I love it.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Although I still like my Voyage, I find I'm reading much more on the Oasis. For me, the larger screen, true buttons, and especially the ability to read in reverse (white on black) mode in a dark room, make reading more pleasurable. I keep the Voyage for reading on the go. If I had to limit myself to one e-reader, however, it would be the Oasis, hands down.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For now I have put it on my wish list. I like the audible and the larger screen.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I liked it the moment I tried it. Although I still have to wait till Christmas to use it again since it's a gift. I also use it with a cover on, it was slippery to hold for me without one. I don't know if that would be an issue for you. Others have found a work around with grips or skins. I also don't hold it over my head when reading in bed, so it wasn't a problem for me there either, as it was a deal breaker for some.

The screen looked even and a cream color, my Voyage has a brighter screen and I like both, again not a problem to me. Both have good contrast. I guess like everyone has said you just have to try one to know for sure if the larger Oasis is right for you. The waterproofing is a plus, and the audio is not something I use now, but who knows maybe someday I might need it.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Quote:

It is the BEST Kindle device BY FAR! The screen is just fantastic, the asymmetric form factor is very ergonomic. It can be used in a tub without ziplock bag. The extra storage allows to overload it with a lot of large books (cookbooks, travel books, manga, etc). The larger screen definitely improves the reading experience especially with the above mentioned book types. The battery on my unit seems to be as good as on my PW2 (unlike what other people reported).

No, it is definitely NOT worth the price. I paid a little over $300 (incl. tax) for it. It's almost 3 times the price of a new PW3.
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have owened all devices and the reading experience is better. Less accidental page turns. The build give more room for the hands and feels just better. The large screen feels like you are holding a real book. My beef is the battery life sucks.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

Another question:

I am left handed and hold my kindle with my left hand, does then screen rotate for my use?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also american express has a feature called "plan it" you can take a purchase and break it into up to 9 payments interest free. I bought my Glowlight 3 this way. I get to pay over 3 months no fees no interest
Old 12-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Another question:

I am left handed and hold my kindle with my left hand, does then screen rotate for my use?

yes screen rotates. very fast and responsive touchscreen
Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life

Yes I just found the information.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
For me, the larger screen & expanded capacity to 32GB made it more than worth the price. I have no complaints whatsoever, but from a pure form factor perspective the Voyage is still my favorite. Now if the Voyage was updated to have a 7” screen & 32GB capacity I’d be in Valhalla!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
For me, the larger screen & expanded capacity to 32GB made it more than worth the price. I have no complaints whatsoever, but from a pure form factor perspective the Voyage is still my favorite. Now if the Voyage was updated to have a 7” screen & 32GB capacity I’d be in Valhalla!
I second the emotion. I like the Oasis 2 a lot, but the Voyage's symmetric design works better for me for switching hand, turning pages and heft. I also strongly prefer the flip up cover on the Voyage.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote