Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #46
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Have you tried the Kindle for PC program, Josie?
Its not downloadable anymore. its been removed and replaced with the app.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
No?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201245960
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #48
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thank you. I didn't think to check the US site. It's been removed from the UK. Still doesn't support personal docs though so its of no use.

I've been playing around with freda tonight as an epub reader would do but i can't get to a logon for the Calibre server.

At least I found a RSS reader tonight for feedly. Any recommendations for a ereader app or program would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thank you. I didn't think to check the US site. It's been removed from the UK. Still doesn't support personal docs though so its of no use.
My copy still supports all my personal docs. Are you sure you got the real PC version? What version number do you have? Mine is 1.10.8. I just click the eBook and select Kindle as the target.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
My copy still supports all my personal docs. Are you sure you got the real PC version? What version number do you have? Mine is 1.10.8. I just click the eBook and select Kindle as the target.

Dale
You are of course correct, but I think she might mean that it doesn't support personal docs from the Amazon cloud (as in syncing, etc.), not that you can't use it to read a personal doc locally. K4PC, K4Mac and Kindle Cloud Reader don't support the Personal Document Service.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 03:26 AM   #51
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
How would I use it for my local docs? I.e my Surface has Calibre loaded on it and if I Installed Kindle for PC how would I open a kindle file (either mobi or the other file extensions) in KforPc? Thanks

I have the same version and even though I uninstalled it last night I kept the program so I can reload it again.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:35 AM   #52
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Right click any mobi... open with... select k for pc, select always do this. Same as in win 7, 8..
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:10 AM   #53
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Right click any mobi... open with... select k for pc, select always do this. Same as in win 7, 8..
, I'll try it out tonight.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
UK Kindle for PC...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlepcdownload/ref=klp_win
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:40 AM   #55
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you, although I don't know how you got to that. This is the page I got when searching for Kindle for PC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/digital/...kcp_pc_mkt_lnd

Every link I get in Google takes me to that page on the UK site

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-05-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #56
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you have to search amazon from a windows7 pc to be offered the desktop version.
if you search from 8 or 10 you get the app instead
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #57
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And this must be why they dropped Windows Media Center from Windows 10 - so they could use it exclusively on the X-Box and sell more hardware.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/48359547.cms
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #58
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think you have to search amazon from a windows7 pc to be offered the desktop version.
if you search from 8 or 10 you get the app instead
I did the same search on both W10 and a W7. The links here are from a W7 laptop
Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #59
cybmole
Wizard

I no longer have any w7 to test with but surely amazon don't offer the metro app to PCs that cannot run it ?
I recall an older discussion whether the consensus was: what you see depends on what you use to explore their site with, though that may have changed now ?

I did see my K for PC update by itself today & that would be my 1st use after the w10 upgrade, but I am pretty sure it is still the "desktop" version. It still puts books where I expect to find them : in My docs My kindle content, so I trust that alf etc still works
in Help, I now see version 1.12.0 (40963) last updated 05/08/2015 i.e. today.
I don't have a record of the previous version number but this could be a minor w10 compatibility upgrade ?

PS from this w10PC, a google search for Kindle for PC desktop
gives me this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=201245960
which seems to be a download for the desktop version, still

so it is just a case of using the right search terms ?

Last edited by cybmole; 08-05-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #60
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I no longer have any w7 to test with but surely amazon don't offer the metro app to PCs that cannot run it ?
I recall an older discussion whether the consensus was: what you see depends on what you use to explore their site with, though that may have changed now ?

I did see my K for PC update by itself today & that would be my 1st use after the w10 upgrade, but I am pretty sure it is still the "desktop" version. It still puts books where I expect to find them : in My docs My kindle content, so I trust that alf etc still works
in Help, I now see version 1.12.0 (40963) last updated 05/08/2015 i.e. today.
I don't have a record of the previous version number but this could be a minor w10 compatibility upgrade ?

PS from this w10PC, a google search for Kindle for PC desktop
gives me this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=201245960
which seems to be a download for the desktop version, still

so it is just a case of using the right search terms ?
I simply searched for Kindle for PC

Edited to say if you follow the link on it takes you to the app and I've just done that on a Kindle Fire using Firefox.

All I can say is save the installation file on this thread. It might be the last one!

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-05-2015 at 01:08 PM.