Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Modifying a font

I wanted to make a bit bolder the font "Fontin-regular"; I did it, but at the same time I modified, inadvertently, the line-height of the font (now is shorter). Could anyone to explain me how to proceed in order to make bolder "Fontin-Regular" but without changing the line-heigh?

Thank you very much in advance.
Rubén

PS: I can use FontForge or FontLab Studio.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In FontForge, you can select all characters and then Element->Style->Change Weight. If you don't touch anything else, I assume the line height will not be altered.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Thanks for answering Jellby. I did what you said and with FontForge the line-height is maintained; the problem is that it seems that FontForge can't process Fontin because it gives me errors when I try to make bolder the font (the output is ugly). And with FontLab I have no error (and the output is great) but the line-heigh is shorter (it must be something in the process of generating the font but I don't know what). Anyway many thanks for your response.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
hi

I tried Jellby's method previously (as described by Katsunami) but I generated a huge and unusable font. Fontforge reported lots of mistakes but complied. On the other hand, JSWolf succeeded very nicely to embolden Charis Sil (modified and compact) but I don't know if he used Fontforge or another tool.

According to Katsunami, one may have to try several times, guessing any value between +50 to +75. It's very much a trial and error process.

As Kobo is allowing side-loaded fonts, my idea was, as you try to do for Fontin, to embolden just a bit Linux Libertine OTF (v. 5.3).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...bertine/5.3.0/

I noticed that the Kobo Patcher allows me to embolden very precisely any side-loaded font including this one but up to now this works only for regular fonts because italic font is displayed as bold... (a Kobo bug?) so I am still loooking for a solution à la JSWolf because Charis Sil modified emboldened italics are properly displayed.

Last edited by roger64; 12-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I modified Charis_SIL, I used Fontcreator,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I modified Charis_SIL, I used Fontcreator,
Thank you for your reply
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Thank you for your reply
Fontcreator's auto bolding feature works pretty well with Fontin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote