Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Glow 3 not seen as ereader after software update

When I first got my Glowlight 3, I had no problem with it when plugging into computer. The computer saw it as an ereader and so did Calibre. I turned on the wifi today and received the update. I plugged it in. It shows up on the computer main screen. When it didn't show up in Calibre, I unplugged, restarted the device (I assumed maybe that new software needed a restart). Plugged back in and no difference. The computer recognizes it, but apparently not as the right type of device.

Went to Device Manager. It shows the device under Disk Drives as a Linux File-CD Gadget USB Device. I am using Windows 10.

Can someone tell me step-by-step how I can fix this? Thanks!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Never mind. there is something that comes up called USB Mode when you plug in now. As soon as you press that on the unit, it shows up as an ereader. Problem solved. Sorry, I can't figure out how to delete the thread.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Never mind. there is something that comes up called USB Mode when you plug in now. As soon as you press that on the unit, it shows up as an ereader. Problem solved. Sorry, I can't figure out how to delete the thread.
That's like the Sony PRS-T2 and Kobo Touch. I've never been able to figure out why that extra "step" was necessary. Maybe it avoids certain connection issues?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's like the Sony PRS-T2 and Kobo Touch. I've never been able to figure out why that extra "step" was necessary. Maybe it avoids certain connection issues?
For the Kobo Touch, the options are continue to connect to the computer or cancel to remain in ereader mode letting the Touch charge while you continue reading. This helps when your USB charger has your ereader thinking it is connecting to a computer. Ain't it marvelous how many "standards" for separating computer from charger exist?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the Kobo Touch, the options are continue to connect to the computer or cancel to remain in ereader mode letting the Touch charge while you continue reading. This helps when your USB charger has your ereader thinking it is connecting to a computer. Ain't it marvelous how many "standards" for separating computer from charger exist?
On the Nook Simple Touch or on my Kindles you just connect the USB and voila'. If I just want to charge the device, then I simply "Eject" it and now it's charging without being connected to the computer. But I use Linux (where things are straight forward), maybe Windows or Macs have other issues they have to contend and this extra step makes it simpler for them.

The only real issue I have with it is that I find myself hooking up to the Reader and waiting ... and waiting ... and until I realize "Ah snot, I've got to press that 'Connection' button." It gets me just about every time.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:39 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not an OS issue. It's the way these devices function. It's to prevent you from not properly ejecting when all you want to do is charge when the device thinks it's connected to a computer (or actually is).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not an OS issue. It's the way these devices function. It's to prevent you from not properly ejecting when all you want to do is charge when the device thinks it's connected to a computer (or actually is).
I know, but I've gotten along fine without this feature for quite awhile. If I want to charge my reader or tablet from the computer I just hook it up and eject the "drive." To me this seems more straightforward. But it's just another one of these tiny little "nits" that mean nothing in the big scheme of things.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The other thing with the Kobo's goes way back to when they first came out. If you had it connected to USB is assumed you were interacting with it via the USB (i.e. sideloading books) so you couldn't read on it. People complained loudly (and justifiably) that that meant they couldn't read while the device was charging. So the extra step to have to press to connect (or "cancel" connecting) was added so you could plug it in and still be able to read. The Kobo doesn't let you both be connected and read at the same time because then you'd have 2 possible methods of interacting with the database at the same time and that could get messy quickly.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I know, but I've gotten along fine without this feature for quite awhile. If I want to charge my reader or tablet from the computer I just hook it up and eject the "drive." To me this seems more straightforward. But it's just another one of these tiny little "nits" that mean nothing in the big scheme of things.
That technique might work with a computer but I've never seen a USB charger with an eject button.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote