Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #16
isethia
isethia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
The one that I copied the message from was in MOBI format. The first one I tried where I didn't save the error message was an EPUB, and it looked like the same message. I went back to the old version for now, so I can't double-check if I got the same message on the EPUB, but it looked like the same.
isethia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Tanjamuse: The file you sent me opens fine on my win10 machine in the new viewer. Given that the error is an access denied, it is definitely caused by some program on your machine interfering with calibre. The most likely culprit remains the antivirus program. That error is an access denied while calibre is trying to rename a folder -- there's really nothing calibre can do at that point, if even renaming folders fails. I will add some code to retry the rename a few times in the hopes that whatever has locked the files lets it go eventually.

@isethia: Feel free to downgrade if you wish, or perhaps invest in a better antivirus, one that does not break the functioning of other programs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #18
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What FORMAT is in your Library for a book that fails? (The viewer does an on the fly convert to EPUB for some formats)
Everything is epub, and downloaded via the FFF plugin. I rarely add anything else in Calibre.

I don't understand how my anti-virus can block some stories in a library and not others. There are several books who reads just fine.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because for whatever reason, the anti-virus is taking longer to scan the files that result from preprocessing the books in that library, and on windows only a single process can process any file at a time. So after the pre-processing is done when calibre tries to rename the folder, it is locked by the AV. The workaround I have added of retrying the renames a few times should take care of it.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #20
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I've disabled the scanner for that folder and the second one you directed me to.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #21
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Hi Gents,

Calibre 4.0 x64 upgrade
FYI, the viewer displays a white page for an epub book, azw3 as well. No menus, no lines, nothing.
No errors messages. A white windows.

Windows 7 64bits Ultimate SP1 running in French version.
MS Essential anti virus.
MSE disabled for /calibre2/calibre.exe does not fix.
MSE disabled for /calibre2/ebook-viewer.exe does not fix.
Test done with trouble-free epubs in older calibre version.

BTW, for a downgrading, do you mean to just re-run the 3.48.msi ? nothing else ?

Best regards
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a way to get the scroll bar on the right side of the viewer to stay put?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by isethia View Post
I am also unable to open any of my e-books in Calibre with the new update, and am getting the same message.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\ui.py", line 248, in _load_ebook_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\convert_book.py", line 162, in prepare_book
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied
I get this error using Calibre Portable out of Dropbox. You can avoid this error by pausing sync prior to viewing the book or using the CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR environment variable and point the the temp files to a location that is not actively sync'd.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@DoctorOhh yeah file sync programs are the other common culprits apart from antivirus
Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@JSWolf: As I've said many times before, its on my TODO list to add an optional scrollbar

@Reinsley: Are you on windows 7 32bit by any chance? there have been some issues with the new browser engine not rendering on that platform. And yes you can jusr run the 3.48 msi to downgrade if needed.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #26
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, Kovid.

Is it to possible to show book pages as one of the optional info to show in the header/footer? Maybe in the format current/total.

I miss this when comparing book files. Sometimes, the same book just have a different cover, or a jacket added... Then the page count is a fast indicator. Also, when reading, it's better then just the percentage, since it is more accurate (1% can represent various pages).
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No pages depend on font and window size and would require rendering the entire book at the current font/window/margin/etc size to get that number.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No pages depend on font and window size and would require rendering the entire book at the current font/window/margin/etc size to get that number.
The old viewer displayed a fixed page count, agnostic to font/window size. I imagine it used some sort of algorithm to determine the page count, like APNX to kindle books.

Can't that be used here too?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
The old viewer displayed a fixed page count, agnostic to font/window size. I imagine it used some sort of algorithm to determine the page count, like APNX to kindle books.

Can't that be used here too?
That's not a page count, thats just a meaningless number, IIRC it was computed based on a rgex to sanitize the HTML and count the words or something like that.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #30
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's not a page count, thats just a meaningless number, IIRC it was computed based on a rgex to sanitize the HTML and count the words or something like that.
Well, that meaningless number was a good pointer for me...