Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
trying
trying doesn't littertrying doesn't litter

Device: none
BUG: Calibre 2.0 E-Book Viewer ePub extra space display problem

With Calibre 2.0, the E-Book Viewer is displaying an extra space between some words in ePubs when I have the serif font set to Constantia (or Century or Century Schoolbook etc). When set to Times New Roman these extra spaces disappear. Using the editor, I can tell these spaces always occur when things like:

<a id="page_281" class="calibre1"></a>

appear. I speculate that perhaps the viewer is replacing this with a zero-width space character? And that some fonts incorrectly display this as a non-zero width space? I suggest either dropping the zero-width character entirely or at least giving the user an option to drop it.

With Calibre 1.47 these epubs looked fine.

Windows 7 SP1
trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-40912
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
trying
trying doesn't littertrying doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I took a look at the bug in QT5 you referenced. I am running on Windows 7 SP1 not linux. My bug also doesn't have anything to do with soft hyphens (that I can tell anyway). Given, however, that QT5 QWebView does have some pretty basic rendering issues, I can certainly see that this is probably another QT5 bug and not a bug in the E-book Viewer.

BTW an extra space is also appearing before (and sometimes after) things like:

<span class="txit">italics</span>
trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This bug affects all platforms, not just linux. And if you have hyphenation turned on in the viewer preferences, then it will automatically insert soft hyphens.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote