Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
fobos3
fobos3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Japanese Vertical Text Viewer Problem

Hi,

I have downloaded some books on my kindle and imported the files in the Calibre library. This works fine for English books. However, the viewer displays only the first page of every chaper when the text is Japanese. Also, the letters are rotated 90 degrees clockwise in the viewer.

I have tried exporting to different formats but the same problem remains. What is interesting is that when I change the font or maximise the window more text appear. Also, when I export to a text file the whole book is exported without any problems.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Regards
fobos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre viewer has no support for vertical text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
elenderg
elenderg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2015) WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The calibre viewer has no support for vertical text.
What about nowadays?
elenderg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

vertical text now displays fine, but scrolling still wont work, requires someone with expertise with such text to step up and implement it.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
sergio0p
sergio0p began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Rotated characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
vertical text now displays fine, but scrolling still wont work, requires someone with expertise with such text to step up and implement it.
In Calibre 4.18.0, I have a AZW3 book in which the characters are rotated 90 degrees clockwise. This is fine for western characters but not for Japanese characters. The picture shows the Kindle and Calibre displays side by side.
Is there some setting to fix this? If no, I do lack technical expertise to fix this bug but I'm willing to pay money to someone who would like to fix it.

sergio0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
sergio0p

I was trying to correct the image to display in my previous post but the edit button is not available (because I'm a new user?). Here is the comparison kindle vz calibre:
Old 06-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sorry but neither image is working for me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@sergio0p - go into Advanced mode, click the paper clip icon in the top toolbar, that will take you to the forum Manage Attachments page - upload the images to MR.

When that's done exit the Manage Attachments tab and save the post.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
sergio0p

Calibre current version vz kindle display

The picture illustrating the problem rotation in vertical text in Calibre 4.18.0 is attached. The left side displays the Kindle rendering which is correct and on the right side we have the Calibrate one. Both files are AZW3 so this is not a conversion issue. Reading other threads in this forum, it seems this was an issue for older versions of Calibre but not for the current one. Many thanks for the tips on how to add a picture to my post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	????????? 2020-06-11 15.40.25.png
Views:	334
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	179875  
Old 06-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Presumably the zaw3 is special casing rendering for that book instead of using standard CSS properties. Use a EPUB with vertical text instead (an no a conversion will not work, you need an original epub) and it should render fine. The calibre viewer basically uses the chromium rendering engine which supports standard compliant vertical text just fine.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #11
sergio0p

Dear Mr. Goyal: Many thanks for your clarification and also for your amazing creation.