Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Good Omens

Anyone else excited about the release of BBC 2 and Amazon's Good Omens? Once I know the release date I plan to reread it, again, right before it is broadcast.
https://youtu.be/2ZSXlNRRoGU
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Can't say I'm awfully excited (I'm not a huge fan of Pratchett), but I did add it to my watchlist and certainly intend to watch it. As to the book, I'm pretty sure I've read it years ago, but regrettably remember almost nothing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Not sure excited describes my reaction. Cautiously optimistic is probably better, the shorts look promising.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I remember enjoying the book when I read it many years ago, so I'm interested to see what the TV adaptation's like, but "interest" is as far as it goes .

There have been some excellent BBC adaptations of books in the last few years (John Le Carre's "The Night Manager" and China Miéville's "The City and the City" are two that spring to mind) so I am optimistic.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-06-2019 at 06:43 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I won't be buying a television for this but I did get the book for my Kindle. It will be the next book I read.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One reason I am looking forward to this is because I think the British do a better job bringing a book to life on the screen.
Apache
Old 02-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think that one of the reasons for that is that here, when a book is adapted for TV, it's a self-contained adaptation in 6 episodes (or whatever). My impression is that US TV wants to milk the property for all it's worth and plans 10 seasons of 26 episodes each (and then cancels it after the first season ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that one of the reasons for that is that here, when a book is adapted for TV, it's a self-contained adaptation in 6 episodes (or whatever). My impression is that US TV wants to milk the property for all it's worth and plans 10 seasons of 26 episodes each (and then cancels it after the first season ).
You hit the Nail on the Head. I find most British adaptations, especially mysteries, to have much tighter writing and tend to be better at casting actors for the parts.
Apache
Old 02-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
One can never figure out what the TV executives are doing. They replaced mediocre programming with reality tv, cancelled good shows because they weren't instant hits and change the time slot of a good show to kill it off. I haven't watched broadcast TV in years, although I appreciate that I can watch Netflix and see some of the good ones later on.

I just bought a year membership on Acorn (BBC shows on Roku) for my Mom and she's in seventh heaven. We do get confused how they mark series though.

Related to the original topic, however, I finally got the audio for Good Omens, so will have a chance to hear it. I read that it is standalone from the Diskworld at the stage I'm at, so doesn't matter that I'm only up to book 25.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-06-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
We do get confused how they mark series though.
That's easy to keep straight. British series = U.S. season.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You hit the Nail on the Head. I find most British adaptations, especially mysteries, to have much tighter writing and tend to be better at casting actors for the parts.
Apache
It's changing a bit though. I think the success of shorter series and seasons on HBO/Showtime and streaming services is having an impact. US companies do tend to adapt a book series rather than trying to directly transfer the book to the screen. I'm thinking of series like Longmire and Justified, which were based on their respective books but told different stories. Game of Thrones and Outlander are two current US shows that are well done transfers of the story from the book, maybe they'll start a trend.

(Of course, WAY back in the day, US TV networks would do miniseries that were book-to-screen, like Roots and Shogun)
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Not sure excited describes my reaction. Cautiously optimistic is probably better, the shorts look promising.
Another cautious optimist here.

I read the book about 15 years ago and remember enjoying it immensely. In preparation for the BBC2/Amazon adaptation, I've been listening to the audiobook. As I mentioned on the "What are we listening to" thread, I still enjoy the material, but I've been sadly disappointed in Martin Jarvis, the narrator.

Anyway, the miniseries looks like it could be fun. We'll see...
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I remember enjoying the book when I read it many years ago, so I'm interested to see what the TV adaptation's like, but "interest" is as far as it goes .

There have been some excellent BBC adaptations of books in the last few years (John Le Carre's "The Night Manager" and China Miéville's "The City and the City" are two that spring to mind) so I am optimistic.
Did you see The Little Drummer Girl adaptation? I think that was a BBC co production. I have no idea how it compares to the book but it was superb and stylish.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The recently run BBC adaption of Les Misérables is excellent. It's a full 6 episodes and it is not a musical. It really tells the story very well.

Not all US book adaptions are poor. Sharp Objects was another excellent book adaptation.

The Handmaid's Tale is still very good even though it goes beyond the book.

Under the Dome was OK, but it ran too long.

11/22/63 is an excellent adaption.

Roots was excellent.

The problem as I see it is if the program goes too long and loses it's way. There have been a number of mini-series based on books in the US that have been good.

What I don't get is why UK TV seasons are so short. 6-10 episodes and that's it.

As for Good Omens, I am really looking forward to seeing it. The trailer looks quite good. Plus it's a really good book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
[...] Related to the original topic, however, I finally got the audio for Good Omens, so will have a chance to hear it. I read that it is standalone from the Diskworld at the stage I'm at, so doesn't matter that I'm only up to book 25.
Good Omens nothing whatsoever to do with Discworld (or anything else) - so it will not interfere with your progress.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote