Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur
jayp2013mobile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi
trying to reconnect to my Kindle via USB

My Kindle Fire HD 7 software was recently updated to Fire 05.5.1.1. I now seem unable to use the USB cable to connect my Kindle unit to the Calibre 2.52.0 version on my main desktop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.

Yet when I connect the same unit to my Portable computer running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, the USB interface works fine.

I used to be able to simply connect my Kindle unit to my desktop computer via USB cable ; Calibre would automatically acknowledge the unit and the titles previously downloaded to the Kindle would appeared as "On Device" in the Calibre interface.

All my e-books before that were sent via USB cable from my desktop Calibre software to my Kindle unit running CC; then, all of a sudden, the only connection I could activate is the wireless.

Even that is unstable : if the unit is left unattended for a while, the "On Device" column disappear from the Calibre interface. I must then manually disconnect then reactivate the wireless option.

I have disable my anti-virus to check if the problem was there but it did not change anything.

Any suggestion on how to get the USB connection back on track ?
jayp2013mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

One additional item : I got a message on my Kindle about a Calibre Companion update having failed and requiring a manual update but I am having difficulty dealing with this. Suggestions ?
Advert
Old 03-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp2013mobile View Post
One additional item : I got a message on my Kindle about a Calibre Companion update having failed and requiring a manual update but I am having difficulty dealing with this. Suggestions ?
I assume you have already gone to the Apps Library ("Apps" page, "See all of your apps", "App Updates"), tried to update CC from there, and it failed.

Assuming that CC can run, the following should work:
  • Make a backup in CC by going to Settings / Backup and Restore / Backup
  • Uninstall CC
  • Reinstall CC from the app store
  • Start CC.
  • Restore the backup (Settings / Backup & Restore / Restore CC ...). Be sure to check the Restore CC book database box.
If CC won't run then your only choice (as far as I know) is to uninstall and reinstall the app. CC's database and settings will be reinitialized.

You might want to ask in a Kindle forum about what could cause app updates to fail.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Charles
The OP has repeatedly mentioned CC and USB in the same paragraph.

I was (and still am, after revisiting the CC FAQ) under the impression that CC does not have a USB interface.
Is the FAQ (connecting to Calibre) remiss ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Charles
The OP has repeatedly mentioned CC and USB in the same paragraph.
This was a cause for confusion over in the CC forum as well. It became clear that the OP wants to use a USB connection and does not want to use CC, but currently the USB connection does not work. I suggested that he come here and ask for help to get the USB connection back.

The digression to CC in this thread is, I'm sure, only that: a digression.
Quote:
I was (and still am, after revisiting the CC FAQ) under the impression that CC does not have a USB interface.
Is the FAQ (connecting to Calibre) remiss ?
No. CC does not support connection by USB, and does not support mixing CC and calibre USB connections. You use one or the other, but not both. The OP prefers to use USB.

I am wondering whether Amazon did "something" in the Fire 5th gen OS upgrade that broke, or at least worsened, USB connections. The story told in 'Get List of Books on Device' Taking 2100 Minutes Plus seems rather similar to the one told by the OP in this thread and the thread in the CC forum.
Advert
Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
This was a cause for confusion over in the CC forum as well. It became clear that the OP wants to use a USB connection and does not want to use CC, but currently the USB connection does not work. I suggested that he come here and ask for help to get the USB connection back.

The digression to CC in this thread is, I'm sure, only that: a digression.
No. CC does not support connection by USB, and does not support mixing CC and calibre USB connections. You use one or the other, but not both. The OP prefers to use USB.

I am wondering whether Amazon did "something" in the Fire 5th gen OS upgrade that broke, or at least worsened, USB connections. The story told in 'Get List of Books on Device' Taking 2100 Minutes Plus seems rather similar to the one told by the OP in this thread and the thread in the CC forum.
Charles
Could you update the CC FAQ (connections) to clearly state the above points?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

My situation has not changed except that the message about the CC update requiring manual handling seems to have gone away ; maybe the update went through.

I have been able to reconnect the Kindle unit to my Portable computer running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 ; the USB interface works fine, the Calibre software automatically goes through a "Get list of books on device" routine taking about 5 to 6 minutes before everything settles down in place.

The problem with my desktop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 remains : I can only connect through the CC wireless option and, if the unit is unused for a while, that goes away forcing me to reconnect.

So what am I missing ?
Old 03-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My situation has not changed except that the message about the CC update requiring manual handling seems to have gone away ; maybe the update went through.

I have been able to reconnect the Kindle unit to my Portable computer running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 ; the USB interface works fine, the Calibre software automatically goes through a "Get list of books on device" routine taking about 5 to 6 minutes before everything settles down in place.

The problem with my desktop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 remains : I can only connect through the CC wireless option and, if the unit is unused for a while, that goes away forcing me to reconnect.

So what am I missing ?
If you want people to respond to what you apparently really want, to get the USB connection to work on your Win7 desktop computer, I strongly recommend that you stop bringing up CC. You are just confusing the issue.

If you want to use CC and therefore not use the USB connection then take the conversation back to the CC forum and stop bringing up USB.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

The problem with my desktop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 remains
Same USB cable? Tried a different cable just in case? Tried a different USB port on the Win 7 machine?

Can your Windows 7 machine see the Kindle outside of Calibre?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

Same USB cable used on both machine ; it works with the VISTA portable, plug it in and Calibre automatically starts the "Get list of books on device" routine ; the Win 7 desktop sees the fire but the Calibre software does not acknowledge the unit.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Same USB cable used on both machine ; it works with the VISTA portable, plug it in and Calibre automatically starts the "Get list of books on device" routine ; the Win 7 desktop sees the fire but the Calibre software does not acknowledge the unit.
Calibre will not "see" the Fire if some other software has it open. Are you running anything that watches for MTP devices, perhaps a music or file transfer program? Some people say that Windows Media Player will open MTP devices. Is it running?

If you start the desktop machine in "safe mode", can calibre see the Fire?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@chaley: The problem with multiple apps accessing the device is only on os x and linux, not windows (on windows device access is mediated by the windows portable device service which takes care of multiplexing access).

@jay: If it is working with one computer and not with another, that means something is wrong with the win 7 computer. Things you can try:

- Reboot your computer
- Try a different USB cable/port, in particular is you have USB 2 and 3 ports try with both types.

Also post the debug output from Preferences->Miscellaneous->Debug device detection when calibre fails to see your device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

As suggested, done a computer reboot and tried a different port without any change.

Posting debug output:

calibre 2.52 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM
USB devices on system:
(USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid1c26&rev0005 devinst=3088),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid1c2d&rev0005 devinst=3148),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x45e product_id=0xd1 bcd=0x120 devid=usb\vid_045e&pid_00d1&rev_0120 devinst=3208),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x461 product_id=0x4dd7 bcd=0x124 devid=usb\vid_0461&pid_4dd7&rev_0124 devinst=3288),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x461 product_id=0x4dd7 bcd=0x124 devid=usb\vid_0461&pid_4dd7&rev_0124&mi_00 devinst=3368),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x461 product_id=0x4dd7 bcd=0x124 devid=usb\vid_0461&pid_4dd7&rev_0124&mi_01 devinst=3464),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x58f product_id=0x6362 bcd=0x100 devid=usb\vid_058f&pid_6362&rev_0100 devinst=3560),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x5e3 product_id=0x608 bcd=0x8536 devid=usb\vid_05e3&pid_0608&rev_8536 devinst=3636),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x5e3 product_id=0x608 bcd=0x8536 devid=usb\vid_05e3&pid_0608&rev_8536 devinst=3716),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0xa5c product_id=0x217d bcd=0x608 devid=usb\vid_0a5c&pid_217d&rev_0608 devinst=3792),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0xbc2 product_id=0x3332 bcd=0x11 devid=usb\vid_0bc2&pid_3332&rev_0011 devinst=3868),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0xc0b product_id=0x2bcf bcd=0x1 devid=usb\vid_0c0b&pid_2bcf&rev_0001 devinst=3936),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x1058 product_id=0x1140 bcd=0x1019 devid=usb\vid_1058&pid_1140&rev_1019 devinst=4012),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x1058 product_id=0x1230 bcd=0x1050 devid=usb\vid_1058&pid_1230&rev_1050 devinst=4112),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\vid_1949&pid_0121&rev_???? devinst=2048),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x24 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0024&rev_0000 devinst=4212),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x24 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0024&rev_0000 devinst=4288))

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
List of WPD PNP ids:
[u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_compact_flash&rev_1.01#058f63626476&1##{6ac2 7878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_ms#ms-pro&rev_1.03#058f63626476&3##{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_sm#xd-picture&rev_1.02#058f63626476&2##{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\usb#vid_1949&pid_0121#0093060650330dfu#{6 ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_sd#mmc&rev_1.00#058f63626476&0##{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}']
MTP device: \\?\usb#vid_1949&pid_0121#0093060650330dfu#{6ac278 78-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}
{'device_version': u'1.0',
'friendly_name': u'',
'has_bulk_properties': True,
'has_storage': True,
'manufacturer_name': u'Amazon',
'model_name': u'Fire',
'protocol': u'MTP: 1.00',
'serial_number': u'0093060650330DFU',
'storage': [{'capacity': 13252075520L,
'capacity_objects': 0L,
'description': u'Internal storage',
'filesystem': u'Generic hierarchical',
'free_objects': 1073741824L,
'free_space': 10213212160L,
'id': u's10001',
'name': u'Internal storage',
'rw': True,
'type': u'fixed_ram'}],
'type': 'media player'}

Trying to open: \\?\usb#vid_1949&pid_0121#0093060650330dfu#{6ac278 78-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}
This device has been blacklisted by the user
No suitable MTP devices found

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {'{E1C2761A-5565-47DF-BC63-80972B33D1E6}': [{'addr': '169.254.246.190'}], '{6EF5196E-F820-11E4-963B-806E6F6E6963}': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'broadcast': '127.255.255.255', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0'}], '{A27DDB72-CC8D-4AF3-B047-25CF35837286}': [{'addr': '192.168.0.2', 'broadcast': '192.168.0.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0'}], '{9D2EA94D-DF8F-4B7A-9F4D-910D7B7F3FAA}': [{'addr': '169.254.203.186'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None
Old 03-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

Tried other port, posting

Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM
USB devices on system:
(USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid1c26&rev0005 devinst=3088),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid1c2d&rev0005 devinst=3148),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x45e product_id=0xd1 bcd=0x120 devid=usb\vid_045e&pid_00d1&rev_0120 devinst=3208),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x461 product_id=0x4dd7 bcd=0x124 devid=usb\vid_0461&pid_4dd7&rev_0124 devinst=3288),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x461 product_id=0x4dd7 bcd=0x124 devid=usb\vid_0461&pid_4dd7&rev_0124&mi_00 devinst=3368),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x461 product_id=0x4dd7 bcd=0x124 devid=usb\vid_0461&pid_4dd7&rev_0124&mi_01 devinst=3464),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x58f product_id=0x6362 bcd=0x100 devid=usb\vid_058f&pid_6362&rev_0100 devinst=3560),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x5e3 product_id=0x608 bcd=0x8536 devid=usb\vid_05e3&pid_0608&rev_8536 devinst=3636),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x5e3 product_id=0x608 bcd=0x8536 devid=usb\vid_05e3&pid_0608&rev_8536 devinst=3716),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0xa5c product_id=0x217d bcd=0x608 devid=usb\vid_0a5c&pid_217d&rev_0608 devinst=3792),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0xbc2 product_id=0x3332 bcd=0x11 devid=usb\vid_0bc2&pid_3332&rev_0011 devinst=3868),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0xc0b product_id=0x2bcf bcd=0x1 devid=usb\vid_0c0b&pid_2bcf&rev_0001 devinst=3936),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x1058 product_id=0x1140 bcd=0x1019 devid=usb\vid_1058&pid_1140&rev_1019 devinst=4012),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x1058 product_id=0x1230 bcd=0x1050 devid=usb\vid_1058&pid_1230&rev_1050 devinst=4112),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\vid_1949&pid_0121&rev_???? devinst=2048),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x24 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0024&rev_0000 devinst=4212),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x24 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0024&rev_0000 devinst=4288))

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
List of WPD PNP ids:
[u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_compact_flash&rev_1.01#058f63626476&1##{6ac2 7878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_ms#ms-pro&rev_1.03#058f63626476&3##{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_sm#xd-picture&rev_1.02#058f63626476&2##{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\usb#vid_1949&pid_0121#0093060650330dfu#{6 ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}',
u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#vo lume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_generic-&prod_sd#mmc&rev_1.00#058f63626476&0##{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}']
MTP device: \\?\usb#vid_1949&pid_0121#0093060650330dfu#{6ac278 78-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}
{'device_version': u'1.0',
'friendly_name': u'',
'has_bulk_properties': True,
'has_storage': True,
'manufacturer_name': u'Amazon',
'model_name': u'Fire',
'protocol': u'MTP: 1.00',
'serial_number': u'0093060650330DFU',
'storage': [{'capacity': 13252075520L,
'capacity_objects': 0L,
'description': u'Internal storage',
'filesystem': u'Generic hierarchical',
'free_objects': 1073741824L,
'free_space': 10213199872L,
'id': u's10001',
'name': u'Internal storage',
'rw': True,
'type': u'fixed_ram'}],
'type': 'media player'}

Trying to open: \\?\usb#vid_1949&pid_0121#0093060650330dfu#{6ac278 78-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {'{E1C2761A-5565-47DF-BC63-80972B33D1E6}': [{'addr': '169.254.246.190'}], '{6EF5196E-F820-11E4-963B-806E6F6E6963}': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'broadcast': '127.255.255.255', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0'}], '{A27DDB72-CC8D-4AF3-B047-25CF35837286}': [{'addr': '192.168.0.2', 'broadcast': '192.168.0.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0'}], '{9D2EA94D-DF8F-4B7A-9F4D-910D7B7F3FAA}': [{'addr': '169.254.203.186'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None
Old 03-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As suggested, done a computer reboot and tried a different port without any change.

Posting debug output:

[...]
And there is the problem. Sometime in the past someone chose not to allow calibre to manage your Fire.

Solution: go to Preferences / Ignored devices (in the Sharing section) and uncheck the box next to your Fire.