Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
frogette
frogette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard
Progress bar?

I was remembering today how my first e-reader -- a Kindle Keyboard -- had a progress bar at the bottom of the screen, and I was regretting that neither Kobo nor the more recent Kindles have this feature. Kobo has a page count ("page X of Y") and I know Kindle can display a percentage. But now I'm wondering if there is an e-reader currently on the market that has a visual -- and not just numerical -- clue on where you're at in the book you're reading?
frogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogette View Post
I was remembering today how my first e-reader -- a Kindle Keyboard -- had a progress bar at the bottom of the screen, and I was regretting that neither Kobo nor the more recent Kindles have this feature. Kobo has a page count ("page X of Y") and I know Kindle can display a percentage. But now I'm wondering if there is an e-reader currently on the market that has a visual -- and not just numerical -- clue on where you're at in the book you're reading?
You could try koreader on a Kobo. The Kindle version likely has the same feature but I haven't used it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive me for saying so, but this seems like a rather odd thing to base your whole buying decision on. Aren't things like how good the screen is, and how well the device renders text and formats the book much more important? Every device offers a means of seeing how far through the book you are in some form or another.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'll admit that I really like the progress bar as well. I wish it were an option on current Kindles.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I like it, too. I remember one of the much older Kobo firmwares had a progress bar with chapter pips, which was brilliant. I can't remember which one it was, though.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I remember one of the much older Kobo firmwares had a progress bar with chapter pips, which was brilliant. I can't remember which one it was, though.
Kindle's had this for quite a while. It's a very missed feature that a lot of people on various discussion groups wish they'd bring back. If the Kobo version was anything like the Kindle one it's too bad they got rid of it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I like it, too. I remember one of the much older Kobo firmwares had a progress bar with chapter pips, which was brilliant. I can't remember which one it was, though.
It hasn't (yet) been taken from the K4NT.

I love the chapter pips. It is not only easy to see how far to the end of the chapter, it is also easy to see how long or short the upcoming chapters are.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
nsam
nsam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW 2)
Apparently we are in the small (but verbal) minority... I truly miss the graphic format of the original Kindle's progress bar.

In fact, I initially jailbroke my Paperwhite for the purpose of finding a hack that would re-create the graphic progress bar... sadly I've been unable to find one. Does anyone know of a hack that will do this?
nsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsam View Post
Apparently we are in the small (but verbal) minority... I truly miss the graphic format of the original Kindle's progress bar.

In fact, I initially jailbroke my Paperwhite for the purpose of finding a hack that would re-create the graphic progress bar... sadly I've been unable to find one. Does anyone know of a hack that will do this?
You'd be best off asking in the Kindle Developer's Forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'll admit that I really like the progress bar as well. I wish it were an option on current Kindles.
Agreed. And though I also like the "minutes till the end of the chapter," I would like a option to change to the Kindle Keyboard (and K4NT) style of progress bar. I like maps better than GPS Navigation also. It's a more visual experience.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogette View Post
My still used daily Cybook Gen 3 has a progress bar...but I doubt if still on the market. Might get a cheap 2nd hand one though?
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're all pretty good

Deleted.

(Wrong thread ... sorry.)

Last edited by rcentros; 10-12-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My Kindle gives me the percentage and if I want a graphic display I can close my eyes and see one. The book I'm reading now is at 48% and I can see that without any problem.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
My Kindle gives me the percentage and if I want a graphic display I can close my eyes and see one. The book I'm reading now is at 48% and I can see that without any problem.
Yeah, but does your imagination fill in the little marks for chapters?