Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
wanderr
wanderr doesn't litterwanderr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Understanding the progress bar

Can someone explain to me the difference between the arrow on the progress bar and the dark grey portion of the progress bar? For example this is the book I am reading now:

http://cl.ly/3U1L0c2v2b081z233V38

If there was either just an arrow or just a grey bar, I would assume that it represents where I am in the book. But they are at different positions, so I'm at a complete loss as to which one represents where I am, and what the heck the other one represents at all.

Thanks!
wanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The arrow is where you started your current reading session, i.e. how far you were when you opened the book you are now reading.

The progress bar is where have now progressed to so far since then -- so you can see at a glance just how much you have read this session since you started.

Where this nice idea can be a bit flakey (at least on my K3) is that something as simple as a dictionary check or the screensaver kicking in can confuse the Kindle into forgetting where you started the current reading session, 'resetting' the arrow to your current reading position. I had hoped the latest 3.1 firmware would have fixed this, but no such luck for those of us anal enough to care about such trivia....
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Terencek is exactly right.

As for why you need to know where you were when you started reading this session I'm not really sure but that is what it does.

The grey bar is the correct indicator for your current location in the book.

The little black dots along the way are chapter markers or if reading a periodical or newspaper indicate the next article.

You can skip to the next black dot by pressing right or left on your toggle.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
As for why you need to know where you were when you started reading this session I'm not really sure but that is what it does.
I think it's sort of nice to be able to see how much progress I've made since I started the session, especially if I'm reading in bed for a while before sleeping.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote