Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Mini, Kindle Voyage, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Question is how exactly are you transferring ebooks to your Kindle? If you manually copy to the documents folder via Windows file manager, then that's where they'll be. Changing the Calibre template will have no effect on that.
No, I plug the device in and click the "Send to Device" button. I almost never load books any other way.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 AM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
FAT32 does not have a defined size for its directory (name entries), it is dynamically allocated and chained together.
There is a maximum number of files in a FAT32 directory. It is either 32K or 64K.
Quote:
IIRC, it is the way it stores long names that becomes unusable with a large number of entries.
And that is probably what is going on here. Each file uses a directory entry. If the file has a long file name, multiple directory entries are used. Each directory entry used for long file names reduces the number of files that can be in the directory. If the file names are long enough, and using the typical author and title based file name they will be, the number of files that can be created in a directory will be drastically reduced. Older Kobo firmware hit this with a file that was generated using a name based on the file path for a book. Using calibre to sideload the books tends to produces long file names which became even longer for the generated files. It wasn't uncommon to hit the limit at around 2300 books.

My guess would be that this message is related to that limit. Someone ran into this issue with long file names and reported it. The warning is a CYA on Amazons part so that anyone who exceeds that number of books is on their own. 2000 is high enough that it won't impact that many people. And it is low enough that anyone who was going to hit the problem will see the message.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you have ~2000 or more authors or if you load from both Calibre and direct download from Amazon, then quite possibly.

If most of your books are in the same tag or genre (or you don't use tags), then this template might be better.

Code:
{author_sort:.1}/{author_sort}/{series_index:0>3s} {series} - {title} - {authors}
It gives you top level A, B, C, D, ..., Z folders for your authors. That should greatly reduce the chances of hitting the 2000 item per folder limit.
I realize I may have to go into the Calibre forums for more information, but I wanted to bring up one more thing. I have added your template and it makes no change to the folder structure of either of my Kindles. I noticed that for my Kobos, each author has it's own folder, last name, first name, with any books by that author inside. All of the Calibre settings are the same. If Calibre is what is controlling the folder/file structure, why would my Kindles be different from my Kobos?
Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #34
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Because the native reader of the Kindle does not recognize the folder structure.
Note: The KOReader for Kindle does recognize the folder structure.

Evidently the native reader of the Kobo also recognizes the folder structure.

Short answer: Because of different design choices.

Last edited by knc1; 02-17-2019 at 08:35 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #35
shamanNS
Evangelist
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I realize I may have to go into the Calibre forums for more information, but I wanted to bring up one more thing. I have added your template and it makes no change to the folder structure of either of my Kindles. I noticed that for my Kobos, each author has it's own folder, last name, first name, with any books by that author inside. All of the Calibre settings are the same. If Calibre is what is controlling the folder/file structure, why would my Kindles be different from my Kobos?
Where did you input that new template?

1) Calibre > Preferences > Sending books to devices > Save template

2) Calibre>Preferences > Plugins > Device interface plugins > Kindle 2,3,4... Device Interface > "Customize plugin" button > Save template

Because #2 will override #1.
Shorter way of opening that "device interface window" is available when you Kindle is connected to you PC and recognized/detected by Calibre:

Click on "Device" icon > Configure this device
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #36
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
[QUOTE=knc1;3811812]
Note: The KOReader for Kindle does recognize the folder structure.
/QUOTE]

Yes, it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_02_17T08_19_53-0800.png
Views:	30
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	169774  
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Where did you input that new template?

1) Calibre > Preferences > Sending books to devices > Save template

2) Calibre>Preferences > Plugins > Device interface plugins > Kindle 2,3,4... Device Interface > "Customize plugin" button > Save template

Because #2 will override #1.
Shorter way of opening that "device interface window" is available when you Kindle is connected to you PC and recognized/detected by Calibre:

Click on "Device" icon > Configure this device
That was it!!! Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks to everyone who helped with this issue. Now all I have to do is remove and reload all the books