Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 03:34 AM   #31
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
I vote for Equus
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #32
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I don't know if it will help but I'll vote for Equus.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #33
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Run-off voting is complete and we have another tie!

Per our tie-breaker guidelines:

If the run-off also ends in a tie, then the tie will be resolved in favour of the selection that received all of its votes first.

This means that our winner is Picnic at Hanging Rock! I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The discussion thread is up!

With apparently three run-offs in the book clubs, I wonder if Picnic at Hanging Rock holds the record for most times in a run-off. At any rate, it's finally won. I'll admit I'm a little surprised from when I first nominated it. It was the last nomination and I debated it because it had already been nominated in the lit club a few times before and because it didn't fit the topic in quite the same way as the other nominations. However I did really like how it fit the topic in its own unique way and, along with the recent mini-series, that's what persuaded me to put it forward even though I wasn't sure if it had a shot, heh.

It's the first selection from Australia we've had in over three years (the last being Tirra Lirra by the River) and the first selection from the 1960s in over seven years (the last being Spring Snow).
Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #35
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The discussion thread is up!

It's the first selection from Australia we've had in over three years (the last being Tirra Lirra by the River) and the first selection from the 1960s in over seven years (the last being Spring Snow).
Wow! I can’t believe it’s been that long since we read something from Australia.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #36
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Yep! It's been awhile.

And technically the last published book from the 1960s is My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories from over five years ago, but it was just a new grouping of already-published stories from other O'Connor collections (thanks to Dazrin and his data for the info), mostly from the 1950s I think, so the last new work published in the 60s was Spring Snow.