Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
simonzed
simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle & Android
PDF to docx to mobi

I have a PDF I'm trying to get on my Kindle, but I'm having trouble.

Tried converting the PDF direct to mobi. All the text disappeared completely.

here's a folder where they're stored, if anyone is in the least bit interested:

[snip]

So had the bright idea of saving the pdf as a docx (within Acrobat). That worked. Then dropped the docx into Calibre, and converted to mobi. It stripped out all the spaces.

if anyone wants to have a look, here's the folder with the docx and mobi files:

[snip]

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance...

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-07-2019 at 08:50 AM.
simonzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonzed View Post
Any ideas? Many thanks in advance...
K2pdfopt?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonzed View Post
here's a folder where they're stored, if anyone is in the least bit interested:

[snip]
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is certainly still under copyright. So please do not post links to unauthorised copies of it on MobileRead.

I suggest that the easiest way to sort this problem out is to return the PDF for a refund to wherever you got it, and buy a Kindle copy directly from Amazon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is certainly still under copyright. So please do not post links to unauthorised copies of it on MobileRead.

I suggest that the easiest way to sort this problem out is to return the PDF for a refund to wherever you got it, and buy a Kindle copy directly from Amazon.
a bit off topic but...
the author is very long time dead, and his ashes were fired into space as he requested. [ and the book is >50 years old now ? ]
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...managers-claim
the $3Million allegedly spent doing that could have been better spent seeding all public libraries with free copies of his books IMHO.
I doubt he had children ( given his drug intake) , so curious to know who now profits from posthumous legal sales

even more off topic.
BBC news yesterday had the story of a man found in a crashed car who told police he swerved to avoid an octopus - I kid you not - they did him for driving on drugs - and i was immediately reminded of the opening sentence of Fear and Loathing...
"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive. . . ." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

great book - terrible film - the whole book is on line but probably I am not allowed to post a link so LMGTFY - not . you'll have to google it yourself.

" lost control and the car went into a squid " - some twitter comment on that news story
http://vectornews.eu/news/131463-cra...d-octopus.html

Last edited by stumped; 02-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
a bit off topic but...
the author is very long time dead, and his ashes were fired into space as he requested. [ and the book is >50 years old now ? ]
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...managers-claim
the $3Million allegedly spent doing that could have been better spent seeding all public libraries with free copies of his books IMHO.
I doubt he had children ( given his drug intake) , so curious to know who now profits from posthumous legal sales
I'm not sure if Feb 20, 2005 qualifies as "very long time dead". His books will not be the public domain in life+50 countries until Jan. 1, 2056 while life+70 countries will have to wait till Jan. 1, 2076.

As for firing into space? I'm not sure if being fired from a cannon qualifies as firing into space unless someone has managed to make a functional version of the cannon used in From the Earth to the Moon. See Project HARP and it's descendants.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - i confused 50 years after book was written with 50 years after author dies.& was thinking book events were end 1960s
as for " into space"- well for 3 million $ I'd expect them to go pretty high .
but then again, Depp is an idiot and a fool & his money are easily parted.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
a bit off topic but...
First published in 1971, and in book form in 1972. So even if copyright was only 50 years after publication, it would be in copyright until at least 2022.

But copyright isn't 50 years after publication. In the USA, the copyright for this book runs until 2067, and in EU/UK until 2076.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
First published in 1971, and in book form in 1972. So even if copyright was only 50 years after publication, it would be in copyright until at least 2022.

But copyright isn't 50 years after publication. In the USA, the copyright for this book runs until 2067, and in EU/UK until 2076.
Oh well, been a while since I last read it, and as for dates I plead " if you remember the 60s, you weren't really there".

I do remember reading hunter s Thomson's biography, or auto biography, a while back and that was interesting. He makes a passing appearance in Tom Wolfe's kool aid acid test book, which I re read after watching the Amazon video series on the grateful dead. That's a book that has not aged very well and finding a decent e copy was a pain. I don't think it ever got published as an epub and the print copy used a lot of arty layout tricks that would not carry over well.
And that will be another case of old book, dead author. But still in copyright.
But in my pdf download defence, I do have a paperback version somewhere in the attic still, I think. And if it was shrink-wrapped and not tatty it might even be valuable. Come to think of it , fear and loathing used to be up there also, if it survived various clearouts.

By 2076 who knows, LSD may be legal again and there will be a "lick here" spot on the cover special commemorative issue :-)

Last edited by stumped; 02-07-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
simonzed
simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle & Android
blimey. i'm sorry I asked! was trying to point out a problem with calibre, as much as anything else. I already have several copies of the book. all thoroughly illegal.

Last edited by simonzed; 02-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
simonzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

To report problems with calibre that involve copyright material use the calibre bug reporter.

https://calibre-ebook.com/bugs