Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
catimini
catimini began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Authors shelves hates comma

Hello there.

I noticed that the latest firmwares (4.4.9344 for my Glo HD, 4.4.9349 for my Aura) allow us to navigate by authors, quite a good option.
But I write my authors using the convention "Lastname, Firstname". And when opening the Authors collection, I've two shelves: Lastname and Firstname.

Is there a way (in a future firmware) to choose on which cararacter we'll split the authors ?
Or does this option exists (hidden) in the Kobo Ereader.conf file ?

Thanks by advance.

Regards
catimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by catimini View Post
But I write my authors using the convention "Lastname, Firstname".
You shouldn't have to. There is a separate authors_sort field where you can do that and thus achieve authors being sorted by last, rather than first name, and still have the authors name appear regular.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
catimini

I know, but I'm used to have my authors displayed like this, which is the international normalization.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The last name sort on the Authors pages is very badly done. It is a pity because the author sort used for the books list is a last name sort, and it works well, even if there is a mixture of different formats (e.g. "John Smith" and "Smith, Jane" are both correctly sorted under "S") and splits the authors where there is a combining word such as "and".

I'm not sure why they couldn't have just re-used the existing author sort function instead of creating a new, faulty one just for the Authors pages.

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-10-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: ... combining word such as "and"
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
catimini

Sorry bumping this thread, but does someone found a way to have a correct author in Kobo ?
I use Calibre, peharps the array of metadata connection could help, but I don't know if I have to fill authors or author_sort, and I don't know how to remove the comma.
Will {authors:"re($, ',', '')"} work ?
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry bumping this thread, but does someone found a way to have a correct author in Kobo ?
I use Calibre, peharps the array of metadata connection could help, but I don't know if I have to fill authors or author_sort, and I don't know how to remove the comma.
Will {authors:"re($, ',', '')"} work ?
There are probably a number of different ways to achieve the same outcome, but this is how I do it now:

* In Calibre, enter the author name in the format FirstName LastName without a comma, or if there is more than one author as FirstName1 LastName1 & FirstName2 LastName2 etc.

(Don't worry about the Author Sort, the Kobo doesn't use that, it only affects how the books are sorted in Calibre.)

* Enter the Metadata Plugboard (Preferences > Metadata plugboards) for KOBOTOUCH device as program: raw_list('authors', ', ') with destination authors

See the screenshots below showing: Metadata for single author book, metadata for multiple-author book, metadata plugboard configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OneAuthor.png
Views:	456
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	158464   Click image for larger version

Name:	TwoAuthors.png
Views:	468
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	158465   Click image for larger version

Name:	MetadataPlugboard.png
Views:	486
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	158466  
Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
catimini

Thanks GeoffR, I'll try that !
Old 09-05-2017, 02:58 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard

More problems with the way the authors list treats comma:

I have some books by authors with names like "Walter M. Miller Jr." and "James Tiptree, Jr."

If there is a comma followed by an ordinary space in the name then the authors list treats the part following the comma as a separate author, so "James Tiptree, Jr." is treated as two different authors, one named "James Tiptree" and another named "Jr."

But this can be worked-around: if there is a no-break space (U+00A0) after the comma then it is treated as one author "James Tipree, Jr."

Unfortunately, even with the no-break space, the names are incorrectly sorted under J for "Jr" instead of M for "Miller Jr." and T for "Tiptree, Jr."

The only way to get these sort of names to sort correctly in the authors list seems to be to use a comma and remove the space altogether, i.e. change the names to "Walter M. Miller,Jr." and "James Tiptree,Jr." but that looks a bit naff.

(The author sort in the books list doesn't have this problem because it recognises "Jr." as a name suffix and ignores it when sorthing by author.)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How does the Kobo distinguish first names and last names? On the Kindle, for example, I have the "author" metadata for all my books set as "last name, first name", which the Kindle then rearranges as "first name last name". So Walter M. Miller Jr is stored as "Miller Jr, Walter M." but displayed as "Walter M. Miller Jr", and the Kindle knows that the surname is "Miller Jr" and sorts accordingly. Does the Kobo just take the last element of the name as the surname? That's not very smart!

Presumably the same issue would arise with two-part surnames that are not hyphenated? Eg, Alexander McCall Smith's surname is "McCall Smith", and should be sorted under "M", not "S".

Last edited by HarryT; 09-05-2017 at 05:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
H Does the Kobo just take the last element of the name as the surname? That's not very smart!
The authors list sort does that, the author sort used for the books list is smarter:

A name in the form "Miller Jr., Walter M." is sorted under M for Miller, the comma indicates that the name is in the form LN, FN and jr. is recognised as a name suffix.

You can also present the name as "Walter M. Miller Jr." and it will recognise that Miller is the last name and sort under M.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably the same issue would arise with two-part surnames that are not hyphenated? Eg, Alexander McCall Smith's surname is "McCall Smith", and should be sorted under "M", not "S".
For the author sort in the books list that can be solved by using a no-break space to join McCall and Smith, or by presenting the author name as LN, FN format, but for the authors list the no-break space doesn't work.

The fundamental problem that this thread notes is that the authors list uses a new dumber sort algorithm when there is already a much smarter algorithm that has worked perfectly well for years in other parts of the firmware.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-05-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The fundamental problem that this thread notes is that the authors list uses a new dumber sort algorithm when there is already a much smarter algorithm that has worked perfectly well for years in other parts of the firmware.
Sounds like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Strange that they didn't use the existing author sorting algorithm which, as you say, does exactly what's needed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #12
catimini

Hello there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
* Enter the Metadata Plugboard (Preferences > Metadata plugboards) for KOBOTOUCH device as program: raw_list('authors', ', ') with destination authors

See the screenshots below showing: Metadata for single author book, metadata for multiple-author book, metadata plugboard configuration.
I had test, and made several tests, but it didn't work. Authors are splitted on comma. It's not a real trouble, I'm used to navigate using series and tags, but I'm a little bit disappointed.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I had test, and made several tests, but it didn't work. Authors are splitted on comma. It's not a real trouble, I'm used to navigate using series and tags, but I'm a little bit disappointed.
In what way didn't it work? I've been using that for a while and haven't seen any issues. But, if you have store the author as "LN, FN", rather than "FN LN" and relied on the separate author sort in calibre, then no, it won't work. The commas will still be there between the parts of the name and hence the author list will have an entry for "FN" and "LN". And for multiple authors, there will probably be "LN1", "FN1", "LN2" and "FN2".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:49 AM   #14
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
IS there any way to get my Aura HD to sort John Le Carré under L rather than C? In Calibre I have the author as John Le Carré and the author sort as Le Carré, John, but when I send the books to my Kobo, he is sorted under C both when viewing books sorted by author and when viewing authors.

Last edited by Nick Payne; 09-08-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:25 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
IS there any way to get my Aura HD to sort John Le Carré under L rather than C? In Calibre I have the author as John Le Carré and the author sort as Le Carré, John, but when I send the books to my Kobo, he is sorted under C both when viewing books sorted by author and when viewing authors.
Yes, for the author sort in the books list. No, for the authors list.

Using a no-break space (U+00A0) instead of an ordinary space between "le" and "Carré" will give the correct(*) author sort in the books list, but it won't affect the sort in the authors list.

(Edit: Just to note, using a no-break space doesn't interfere with searching at all, you can still type an ordinary space into the search bar and it will list matches with a no-break space.)

(* Edit2: Perhaps John le Carré should be sorted under C for Carré, since the "le" is lowercase. But it is a made-up name, the normal rules might not apply. The publisher has him listed under L though.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-08-2017 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Publisher sorts "le Carré" under L

Tags
author spliting