Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-25-2024, 04:58 AM   #1
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Altering margins in Kindle Oasis

I recall years ago being able to get rid of the wasted margin space on my Kindle Keyboard, using Calibre.
Now I have a Kindle Oasis, and the same problem: they've allowed a much too large margin. Is there any way to reduce the margin on the Oasis too?

Last edited by JollyRoger; 03-25-2024 at 06:21 AM.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
I recall years ago being able to get rid of the wasted margin space on my Kindle Keyboard, using Calibre.
Now I have a Kindle Oasis, and the same problem: they've allowed a much too large margin. Is there any way to later the margin on the Oasis too?
After converting to KF8, load that into the calibre editor and at the top of the CSS, put the following CSS code.

CSS
Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
  break-inside: avoid !important;
}
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2024, 06:22 AM   #3
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After converting to KF8, load that into the calibre editor and at the top of the CSS, put the following CSS code.

CSS
Code:
html {
}
Sorry to sound dumb, but this is completely nonsensical to me. Convert what to kf8? Load what into Calibre? Where do I find CSS?
Old 03-25-2024, 07:02 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

CSS
Code:
html {
}
A -1.5% or -1.6% might be more portable?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A -1.5% or -1.6% might be more portable?
I don't know. I don't have access to an Oasis 3.
Advert
Old 03-25-2024, 07:06 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Sorry to sound dumb, but this is completely nonsensical to me. Convert what to kf8? Load what into Calibre? Where do I find CSS?
The book. Convert to azw3 and add the code to the css file in the calibre editor.

It's no longer possible to do it on the Kindle itself.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:07 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
if you are using azw3 (=KF8) on the Oasis and managing ebooks with calibre you can right click on a title row and Edit the azw3/KF8. It will have one or more CSS files in it. Then "send to Device" via USB.
Existing ebooks on the Oassis would need replaced.

This also assumes there is no DRM.

JSWolf is assuming that your starting point is epubs in Calibre. This may not always be true.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:10 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If your eBook is originally ePub, then you convert it using calibre to KF8 (AZW3) and using caliber's text editor, you open the eBook and in the CSS (cascading style sheet) you put the code I posted at the top of the CSS. Then you save and load the eBook on your Kindle.

Do you remove the DRM from your eBooks? Do you download them from Amazon? How do you download from Amazon if you do?
Old 03-25-2024, 07:23 AM   #9
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
if you are using azw3 (=KF8) on the Oasis and managing ebooks with calibre you can right click on a title row and Edit the azw3/KF8. It will have one or more CSS files in it. Then "send to Device" via USB.
Existing ebooks on the Oassis would need replaced.

This also assumes there is no DRM.

JSWolf is assuming that your starting point is epubs in Calibre. This may not always be true.
OK that wasn't difficult at all. The % did not work, but I ended up putting in -40px and that's worked, the margin is so much smaller now. Probably about 1.5 character widths each side.
Thanks very much for that it makes a big difference to reading.
Now, is there a way to do that to every book I have, via a script? Rather than editing 2000 files lol.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:49 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
OK that wasn't difficult at all. The % did not work, but I ended up putting in -40px and that's worked, the margin is so much smaller now. Probably about 1.5 character widths each side.
Thanks very much for that it makes a big difference to reading.
Now, is there a way to do that to every book I have, via a script? Rather than editing 2000 files lol.
You can try bulk converting the epubs to azw3. Put the code in Look & Feel -> Styling -> Extra css.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:32 PM   #11
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can try bulk converting the epubs to azw3. Put the code in Look & Feel -> Styling -> Extra css.
I don't have many epubs. I've got mostly .mobi, a few hundred azw3, and a small smattering of epubs and pdf's
Old 03-25-2024, 05:59 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

You can convert mobi and azw3 to azw3 in bulk... Just select them and hit convert with the Look & Feel -> Styling -> Extra css set as the default azw conversion option

Tags
calibre, margin, oasis