Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2023, 01:25 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknackpaddywak View Post
But all this is by the assumption of me that the Kindle OS would render KUAL useless after the restart. Perhaps I am terribly wrong.
Since I can't even fathom what you could be meaning by that first sentence, the second one is probably true ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:18 AM   #17
nicknackpaddywak
nicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 (retired), Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Completely different blank screen, yeah (there are *a lot* of ways to softlock the Kindle UI ;o)).

Because maybe third time's the charm: check the MRPI logs (at the *very* least! On the upside, they're much much more human-readable than the syslogs, and they won't have rotated the important stuff right when you need it ;p).
I think what I needed was simply patience. I ran ;log mrpi and then let it sit there on that blank screen. I waited a few days and restarted it. Voila! KUAL is back and running!

I am still mad at Amazon though,
nicknackpaddywak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2023, 08:40 AM   #18
nicknackpaddywak
nicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enough

Alright, Update on the situation:

I used downgrader to downgrade my kindle to 5.13.3, and then forced it to reset by using DO_FACTORY_RESET file. I am aware of the fact that version numbers might not match and confuse Amazon, so I wanted to Jailbreak it and install 5.14.2 to be on the safe side. Somehow, before I could use Kindlebreak to jailbreak it, I found out it was actually jailbroken because ;log mrpi worked when I put the MRPI and KUAL files in there.

Still in airplane mode, I have updated it to 5.14.2 with the bin file in attempt to correct the version numbers.

But how did the command work AFTER a reset? Is this "jailbreak" genuine? I had come to believe that resetting would mean losing the Jailbreak.

Now I need to connect to internet quickly to download some dictionaries and connect my Amazon account, but I am afraid without a "genuine" jailbreak I may not be so lucky this time if it updated to a higher version.

I have checked out the thread about renaming the OTA binaries, but I also read some threads, with one specifically claiming that their KOA3 updated despite the binary change

Any advice please? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nicknackpaddywak; 04-02-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:45 AM   #19
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:

I used downgrader to downgrade my kindle to 5.13.3, and then forced it to reset by using DO_FACTORY_RESET file. I am aware of the fact that version numbers might not match and confuse Amazon, so I wanted to Jailbreak it and install 5.14.2 to be on the safe side. Somehow, before I could use Kindlebreak to jailbreak it, I found out it was actually jailbroken because ;log mrpi worked when I put the MRPI and KUAL files in there.

Still in airplane mode, I have updated it to 5.14.2 with the bin file in attempt to correct the version numbers.

But how did the command work AFTER a reset? Is this "jailbreak" genuine? I had come to believe that resetting would mean losing the Jailbreak.

Now I need to connect to internet quickly to download some dictionaries and connect my Amazon account, but I am afraid without a "genuine" jailbreak I may not be so lucky this time if it updated to a higher version.

I have checked out the thread about renaming the OTA binaries, but I also read some threads, with one specifically claiming that their KOA3 updated despite the binary change

I believe the one who posted about the update after installing thought that installing the rename extension was all that was necessary when you need to install and run it for it to work.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:06 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

I'm glad you were able to downgrade. Congratulations.

Technically, everything >= 5.11 is less "safe" the higher the version.
Once you downgraded the versions matched and after the upgrade 5.14.2, of course, the versions match. But version mismatch can very much be a feature.

Quote:

Resetting (with hotfix/bridge in place), in itself does not lose the jailbreak but does make the jailbreak more vulnerable.

Quote:

What dhdurgee wrote regarding rename OTA binaries, however I'm not sure whether renaming OTA binaries affects downloading dictionaries or registering.

If the kindle is registered, you might be able to download the dictionaries with a computer from amazon.com using the download for transfer over USB option.

Your safest bet might be to downgrade to 5.9.6, create the download blocker directory, register, download dictionaries OTA direct to kindle, then decide which firmware version is the best compromise for your goals, and install that firmware.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2023, 01:53 AM   #21
nicknackpaddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm glad you were able to downgrade. Congratulations.
Thanks.
Quote:
Technically, everything >= 5.11 is less "safe" the higher the version.
Once you downgraded the versions matched and after the upgrade 5.14.2, of course, the versions match. But version mismatch can very much be a feature.
Yeah I know. But you could look at this situation in another way. Compared to off-brand Chinese Android E-readers which have absolutely no security updates at all, Kindles are at least better for the normal person.
One could argue that it is overkill for a device that displays e-books though.
I believe that version mismatch is now not an issue now after the manual update. What I meant by safe was that this version could still be Jailbreak-able (although harder) should something go wrong.

Quote:
Resetting (with hotfix/bridge in place), in itself does not lose the jailbreak but does make the jailbreak more vulnerable.
I see. But what does vulnerable mean exactly here? Can I just install the hotfix again and make it less vulnerable?

Quote:
What dhdurgee wrote regarding rename OTA binaries, however I'm not sure whether renaming OTA binaries affects downloading dictionaries or registering.

If the kindle is registered, you might be able to download the dictionaries with a computer from amazon.com using the download for transfer over USB option.
I never knew that was an option. I will try that out. However, registering the kindle still means there will be the need to connect to the internet, and here in Taiwan internet is pretty fast (unless Chinese commies do stupid stuff) which means that the update could have a chance download and install and break my Jailbreak.

Quote:
Your safest bet might be to downgrade to 5.9.6, create the download blocker directory, register, download dictionaries OTA direct to kindle, then decide which firmware version is the best compromise for your goals, and install that firmware.
This Kindle Oasis 3 is relatively new, being purchased in fall 2021, so I do not think such a version is available on this Kindle. Thanks anyway!
Old 04-03-2023, 10:14 AM   #22
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Thanks.

Yeah I know. But you could look at this situation in another way. Compared to off-brand Chinese Android E-readers which have absolutely no security updates at all, Kindles are at least better for the normal person.
One could argue that it is overkill for a device that displays e-books though.
I believe that version mismatch is now not an issue now after the manual update. What I meant by safe was that this version could still be Jailbreak-able (although harder) should something go wrong.

I see. But what does vulnerable mean exactly here? Can I just install the hotfix again and make it less vulnerable?

I never knew that was an option. I will try that out. However, registering the kindle still means there will be the need to connect to the internet, and here in Taiwan internet is pretty fast (unless Chinese commies do stupid stuff) which means that the update could have a chance download and install and break my Jailbreak.

This Kindle Oasis 3 is relatively new, being purchased in fall 2021, so I do not think such a version is available on this Kindle. Thanks anyway!
As someone noted earlier another option to ensure there is no possibility of a firmware update while online you can fill up the disk space to leave less than 200mb of available storage. That should leave plenty of room for any dictionary or book downloads but make sure a firmware update is impossible.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:18 AM   #23
nicknackpaddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
As someone noted earlier another option to ensure there is no possibility of a firmware update while online you can fill up the disk space to leave less than 200mb of available storage. That should leave plenty of room for any dictionary or book downloads but make sure a firmware update is impossible.

Dave
I have seen such a method on this forum...
Personally I think this is a genius piece of advice. Although I have a Kindle Oasis 3 32GB version so this space-filling is not as easy as it was on the KPW2 with only 2GB...
Nevertheless, I will try that and give an update.

PS I should not have mentioned Chinese commies doing stupid stuff earlier, but it seems that they have cut the internet cable linking one of our islands...