Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2023, 12:37 PM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
How does OTA work nowadays?

Hello all,

As the title says. I have a non-jb PW5, and I need to go online just for a few seconds to download dictionaries and maybe complete initial registration, but I don't want the fw to update.

Does the OTA process work as it used to do? That is, it downloads a .bin on the kindle root that I can delete before it gets launched?
Or is it nowadays download to a different (hidden) location?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:24 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I'm not 100% sure if there have been any changes to the download process itself, but I believe they might have changed things to prioritize updating before anything else at all. If this is indeed the case, then your only defense on a Kindle without JB and renamed OTA update binaries would be to connect to a router you control with the sources of the update blocked by your router's firewall.

There is an extension somewhere here that used the Kindle's own firewall for this, but I believe it is quite old and might be out of date as to the sources that must be blocked. Hopefully someone else can help with further information on this.

Beyond that you will need to keep your Kindle offline to avoid an unwanted firmware update.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I took the risk and went online very quickly and disconnecting often just to "intercept" it.
It looks like it hasn't changed and it does not prioritize fw update over sync.

I had 9 dictionaries to download, and it downloaded them all.
It also activated special offers (out of the box, I tried to sideload some book of mines and it displayed their cover).
But, when I disconnected I found in the root the infamous update.bin.tmp.partial (or whatever the name is). I deleted it and... so far no fw update (I also restarted the kindle)
Old 03-28-2023, 08:10 PM   #4
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
There is a more modern tool that renames the binaries responsible for managing OTA updates and the "Update Your Kindle" button.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:11 AM   #5
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
There is a more modern tool that renames the binaries responsible for managing OTA updates and the "Update Your Kindle" button.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25
I know, but that unfortunately requires KUAL, hence JB, which I have not (hopefully: yet)
Advert
Old 03-30-2023, 02:03 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Another way is to fill up the storage to less than 200MB free space.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #7
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Another way is to fill up the storage to less than 200MB free space.
Good I didn't think about it. Cumbersome to do everytime you go online if you do often, but in my case would work