Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 02:50 PM   #31
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69carat View Post
I will try both Kepub and Epub to check the differences.
Do you know if I can store books on my google drive and convert them from there ?
Unfortunately, no.

BUT:
- I know Koreader (which you can install on your KOBO) can do some services like: Dropbox, but also FTP.

- First I would like to write, do not do things that you do not feel.

[I have not tried ] : here, in this forum I found a post with instructions on how some KOBO devices can run the Gdrive cloud service.
I leave you a link here: Sync to gdrive!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309337

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-30-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I did not know that I could use the "Kobo Touch Extended" also for devices like Kobo Libra H2O . I will definitely try. Thanks.
PS: Installed (V3.1.5 from Joel Goguel), works.
(I forgot to add too Plugins : KePub Input / KePub output).

- It has some importance (useful) to install the extension for Kobo Libra H2O as well"Kobo Utilities"?
Yes, Kobo Utilities is good for all Kobo Readers. Read the thread about it so you'll know how to use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #33
69carat
69carat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I did not know that I could use the "Kobo Touch Extended" also for devices like Kobo Libra H2O . I will definitely try. Thanks.

- It has some importance (useful) to install the extension for Kobo Libra H2O as well"Kobo Utilities"?
Sorry i Missed your post! i will read that for sure, thank you.
Baby steps
69carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:46 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's actually better to use the Kobo Touch Extended Driver for Calibre to convert to kepub. That way you can convert when it's sent to your Kobo rather then convert and have an extra file taking up disk space. And doing it with the Extended Driver, the ePub doesn't get a full conversion. It just gets the code added to to it to make it into a kepub file.
Jon: Simpler, not better. There are reasons doing the conversion is better. They include if you source your books from Amazon and don't have any other use for epubs.

Quote:

The KoboTouchExtended driver does what it's name says: Extends the KoboTouch driver. This is built-in to calibre. If the KoboTouch driver supports a Kobo device, then the KoboTouchExtended driver will as well. And all Kobo devices are supported in the latest version of calibre.

My Kobo Utilities plugin will also work with all Kobo devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #35
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And from my use, the Koo dictionary is just fine. I rarely look up a word that doesn't exist in the dictionary.
The default dictionaries may be similar, but with the Kindle you can buy additional, much better, dictionaries that then integrate with the reader. Kobo doesn't offer anything similar.
Probably not an issue for most people, but dictionary support was mentioned originally.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #36
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The default dictionaries may be similar, but with the Kindle you can buy additional, much better, dictionaries that then integrate with the reader. Kobo doesn't offer anything similar.
Probably not an issue for most people, but dictionary support was mentioned originally.

Although I'm another one who finds the installed Kobo dictionary adequate for purpose, I'm still puzzled by the Kobo decision not to offer additional dictionaries in a similar way to Kindle. I have toyed with the idea of installing additional English dictionaries, and some non-supported dictionaries, but all that faffing about with Penelope and SQLlite triggers my "what, cosmically speaking, is the point?" button, and inertia prevails. I would quite happily buy a dictionary upgrade and/or dictionaries in the languages for which I actually need them.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #37
69carat

I looked a little bit at the dictionary and opened book in French , Spanish or English and it gives me only the definition in English what ever the language of the book is. I tried the different dictionary Kobo includes and only one worked : the english one.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:44 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I looked a little bit at the dictionary and opened book in French , Spanish or English and it gives me only the definition in English what ever the language of the book is. I tried the different dictionary Kobo includes and only one worked : the english one.
Were the languages for these books set correctly in the metadata? Just testing here. I sent a book to the device as Spanish. My UI language is English. When I opened it and selected a word, the Spanish to English dictionary was shown. When I change the UI language to Spanish, a message about installing the Spanish dictionary was shown.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #39
spencerhealey
spencerhealey began at the beginning.

Regarding the asymmetric design, it is actually not as bad as it looks.

I tested it in store and was skeptical at first, however, I quickly realized that it made one hand use possible. It suddenly dawned on me that this has been an unrealized frustration with my older Kobo for some time. Especially, for instance, when I am holding my baby. Turning the page is quite difficult to do with one hand. However, with the Libra I was able to skip through books comfortably and quickly (it is really fast) with the page buttons.

I will be buying this soon!!
spencerhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #40
69carat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Were the languages for these books set correctly in the metadata? Just testing here. I sent a book to the device as Spanish. My UI language is English. When I opened it and selected a word, the Spanish to English dictionary was shown. When I change the UI language to Spanish, a message about installing the Spanish dictionary was shown.
I downloaded the other dictionaries in other languages.
it is not that bad . My device is set in english.
Everythng translate to English : ex : french to english, spanish to english

But i can't download spanish to french for instance
Old 10-04-2019, 01:20 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I downloaded the other dictionaries in other languages.
it is not that bad . My device is set in english.
Everythng translate to English : ex : french to english, spanish to english

But i can't download spanish to french for instance
The default behaviour when reading a book that is a language different to the UI language is to use the translation dictionary. And unfortunately, Kobo has a limited set of dictionaries. The only translation dictionaries available are to or from English.

If dictionary choice is important to you, which seems to be the case, a Kindle is the best choice of device. It is well recognised that Kindle have both the best dictionaries, and the widest choice.