Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
E-ink Epub reader for direct Overdrive access?

It doesn't look like Overdrive is doing anything about the issue with Sony readers no longer being able to download books directly from Overdrive libraries.

I know there is at least one Kobo reader that has Overdrive capability. Are there any other e-ink, epub ereaders available in the US that can download library books directly? (I'm not interested in switching to Kindle.)

I may decide to just keep using my Sony reader and sync books from my PC, which is what I do most of the time anyway. I guess I will have to see how often I find myself away from home and wanting to get a new library book.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Kobo Aura One is it (works a bit differently than the Sony's did IIRC). Maybe a newer old Sony? In one thread someone posted that their T2 still worked (don't remember if they were in the US or elsewhere).

I suppose another option might be one of the Android based eInk devices and run the OverDrive Android app.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with the T1 is that the version of ADE is too old. We already know that for desktop ADE, you need at least version 2.0.1 and any earlier version no longer works. Probable the same issue with the T1.

You cannot blame Overdrive for this. It's an Adobe issue with their DRM server software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, whatever the cause of the problem, it is apparent Sony readers will no longer work directly with Overdrive, which is why I am looking into options for other readers.

I hadn't even thought of an e-ink Android tablet. Will have to look into that.

Last edited by 4691mls; 12-24-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the T1 is that the version of ADE is too old. We already know that for desktop ADE, you need at least version 2.0.1 and any earlier version no longer works. Probable the same issue with the T1.

You cannot blame Overdrive for this. It's an Adobe issue with their DRM server software.
While that would be a problem people weren't even getting that far because the web page they were getting after checkout is the one you get on mobile devices and offers to add your checkout to the OD app and doesn't have a regular download link.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
While that would be a problem people weren't even getting that far because the web page they were getting after checkout is the one you get on mobile devices and offers to add your checkout to the OD app and doesn't have a regular download link.
Yes, that's right - there is no download option, just an "add to app" button which is useless on a Sony reader.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The issue could be the new OD software just isn't compatible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard

Someone posted this link in the discussion in the Sony forum:

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...gital-editions

Here's a copy/paste of the part of the linked page that refers to Sony:

Known issues with Sony Reader, NOOK GlowLight Plus, and Adobe Digital Editions

OverDrive recently upgraded more of our services to HTTPS as part of our continued commitment to security and privacy. While this process was seamless and invisible to the vast majority of users, it resulted in compatibility issues for some older devices and software versions. We apologize for the inconvenience, and have provided solutions and alternatives below (wherever possible).
Sony Reader Wi-Fi

Sony Reader Wi-Fi devices no longer allow users to download library eBooks directly on the device.

Users can still download library eBooks to Sony Reader software on their computer, then transfer eBooks from their computer to their Sony Reader.