Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2016 Book Club Vote
Bridge in the Fourth Dimension: Further Adventures of the Hideous Hog by Victor Mollo 4 17.39%
Mislaid by Nell Zink 3 13.04%
Rivers of London (US title: Midnight Riot) by Ben Aaronovitch 9 39.13%
The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh 10 43.48%
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris 6 26.09%
Noises Off by Michael Frayn 2 8.70%
Bellwether by Connie Willis 5 21.74%
The Deadly Dowager by Edwin Greenwood 4 17.39%
Alice, Let's Eat by Calvin Trillin 7 30.43%
Based on a True Story by Norm Macdonald 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I just began on the free sample of "The Loved One" .... And already I am disillusioned. Evelyn Waugh is a man?? Nowadays, and on this west side of The Pond, Evelyn is more often a female. I've run into this use before, but it never occurred to me!
Even better, his first wife also was named Evelyn. They were known as He-Evelyn and She-Evelyn. Oh, and in Britspeak, that first "E" is long, as in Eve.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:06 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would parents do this to their child? Sometimes parents don't have a clue what the name they give their child could do to said child. Changing the pronunciation doesn't change the fact that his name is a girl's name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #33
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I certainly didn't expect it but I have seen it before. It's almost like different names are acceptable in different time periods and in different regions. This is my shocked face.

"Edith is a boys name!"
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would parents do this to their child? Sometimes parents don't have a clue what the name they give their child could do to said child. Changing the pronunciation doesn't change the fact that his name is a girl's name.
Even though in America it's a girl's name, it's always been more androgynous in Britain. Like the name Dana here, for example.

As for the pronunciation, it's yet another example of two nations divided by a common language. The name Maria also comes to mind, or the way most Americans mispronounce Bernard and Augustine.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #35
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
"Leslie" would be another example.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Even though in America it's a girl's name, it's always been more androgynous in Britain. Like the name Dana here, for example.

As for the pronunciation, it's yet another example of two nations divided by a common language. The name Maria also comes to mind, or the way most Americans mispronounce Bernard and Augustine.
Actually, England and the US had the same version of English back when the Pilgrims came to America. It is from there that things changed for both countries. Even Australia's English changed.

To say the US pronounces things wrong is itself wrong. It's just different.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #37
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A last push for Midnight Riot/Rivers of London. .....Come on, folks. If both Jon and I agree about this book, it's clearly got something going for it, since we never agree about anything! And, seriously, it's a fun book, a good read, reasonably priced, and available for both eBook and Audible versions, WhisperSync'd if you want. And available in many libraries. And Peter Grant is a great character.
The "free sample" of this month's winner [Evelyn Waugh, "something Love"] didn't take me far enough to know if I'd like it or not. Since I had already bought Midnight Riot/Rivers of London a bit ago, I decided to try it for a bit.

Turns out I had tried it when I got it, and abandoned it when I reached the ghost witness. Somehow, today I'm in a different mood, and was intrigued rather than put off by that! I'm several chapters in, and quite enjoying it! It's fun, but I wouldn't (so far?) call it funny. Still, I'm going to enjoy it!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The "free sample" of this month's winner [Evelyn Waugh, "something Love"] didn't take me far enough to know if I'd like it or not. Since I had already bought Midnight Riot/Rivers of London a bit ago, I decided to try it for a bit.

Turns out I had tried it when I got it, and abandoned it when I reached the ghost witness. Somehow, today I'm in a different mood, and was intrigued rather than put off by that! I'm several chapters in, and quite enjoying it! It's fun, but I wouldn't (so far?) call it funny. Still, I'm going to enjoy it!
I've just added the Moon Over Soho to my H2O. I'll be reading it sometime this month. I have the book I am reading now and maybe one other before I get to it. I am looking forward to it.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've just added the Moon Over Soho to my H2O. I'll be reading it sometime this month. I have the book I am reading now and maybe one other before I get to it. I am looking forward to it.
Don't forget to leave time for The Loved One.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Don't forget to leave time for The Loved One.
Got it from the library. It's ready to be loaded on my H20.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #41
mkm
Enthusiast
mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRSt2, pocket edge
Dang, it's closed. The Loved One I guess. Gotta get a copy and read in time ::crossfingers::
mkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

After I finish The Girl on the Train, I'm going to read The Loved One.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just finished the first chapter of The Loved One. Is there supposed to something funny or amusing in chapter one?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #44
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I suspect we all have different ideas of "funny". I only (so far) read the free sample, but I didn't see anything funny in that ..... and wasn't entirely sure if I would go any further.

Similarly -- I'm 60% thru the Aaroncourt book mentioned above, and while it's fun, I don't find it "funny".

Oh well .... it takes all kinds!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #45
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I suspect we all have different ideas of "funny". I only (so far) read the free sample, but I didn't see anything funny in that ..... and wasn't entirely sure if I would go any further.

Similarly -- I'm 60% thru the Aaroncourt book mentioned above, and while it's fun, I don't find it "funny".

Oh well .... it takes all kinds!
Agreed. I find the Aaronovitch books very funny, and so does my DW. It's possible at least part of that is having read (and watched BBC versions of) so very many English police procedurals over the years.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote